Derivation of the Child-Langmuir law?

In summary, the conversation was about the derivation of the child Langmuir law for current flow in vacuum tubes. The speaker was stuck at a few points in the derivation, including the application of Poisson's equation and the collection of electrons by the anode. They also had a question about the equation ##V' = 2A^{1/2}V^{1/4}## and its lack of an integration constant. However, they later realized that the boundary conditions would make the constant zero.
patric44
Homework Statement
derive Child-Langmuir law
Relevant Equations
I = k V^(3/2)
hi guys
i was trying to understand the derivation of the child Langmuir law that govern the current flow between the two plates of vacuum tubes
and saw this derivation online :
differential.jpg

and i am stuck at couple of points :
when i saw the derivation it seem like a direct application of the Poisson's equation :
$$\nabla^{2}\phi = \frac{-\rho}{\epsilon_{o}}$$
in which ##\phi## is the potential between the two plates , i guess he will calculate the potential at the plate related to the charge density that has been collected by the anode which had come directly from the flow of the current density from the cathode ? is that right .
that a little diagram i draw that illustrate what i mean :
child.jpg

1) a little dump question : how the electron coming from the filament will be collected by the anode when its near the negative cathode shouldn't it be repealed 🤔 .
2) the equation ##V' = 2A^{1/2}V^{1/4}## doesn't have an integration constant , and if i introduced a constant after the integration i need to the take the square root for the ##V'## it will get complicated .

Physics news on Phys.org
guys never mind the second question , i didn't notice that the boundary conditions at ##V = 0## , ##V' = 0## will make my constant zero 😅 .

1. What is the Child-Langmuir law?

The Child-Langmuir law, also known as the three-halves power law, is a fundamental relationship in electron beam physics that describes the current density of an electron beam as a function of the applied electric field and the geometry of the beam.

2. Who developed the Child-Langmuir law?

The Child-Langmuir law was independently derived by British physicist John Sealy Townsend in 1913 and American physicist Irving Langmuir in 1914.

3. What is the significance of the Child-Langmuir law?

The Child-Langmuir law is important in the understanding and design of electron beam devices, such as cathode ray tubes and electron microscopes. It also provides a theoretical basis for the operation of plasma thrusters in spacecraft propulsion.

4. How is the Child-Langmuir law derived?

The Child-Langmuir law is derived by considering the motion of a single electron in a uniform electric field between two parallel plates. The equation is based on the assumption that the electron beam is a thin, continuous stream of particles with a constant velocity distribution.

5. What are the limitations of the Child-Langmuir law?

The Child-Langmuir law is only applicable to electron beams with low current densities and in vacuum conditions. It also does not take into account factors such as space charge and secondary electron emission, which can affect the behavior of the electron beam.