An experiment from which you can calculate terminal velocity

In summary, to measure the terminal velocity of an object falling under gravity, one could use the equation F=ma and the formula for terminal velocity: sqrt(2mg/density*Area of object * drag coefficient). The experiment would involve measuring the distance from which terminal velocity starts to when it hits the floor, the time spent in terminal velocity, and several other variables such as the weight of the object. One could also use a sonic ranger to measure the object's speed. To ensure that the measured velocity is truly the terminal velocity, one would need to take multiple measurements and fit a curve to the data.
Zara-!@#$*
"Describe an experiment that could be carried out in order to measure the terminal velocity of an object falling under gravity. Include any equations you would use or calculations you would make."

The only formula I can think of is F=ma, but I don't see how that is relevent.

My train of thought is currently that velocity is d/t. Therefore, I'd have thought that I would need to know the distance from which terminal velocity starts to when it hits the floor, and also the time spent in terminal velocity. But in order to find this I'd need to know how long it takes for drag to be in equilibrium with the weight, how long the object is falling, the distance from rest to the floor, the distance traveled before reaching terminal velocity and the weight.

I have been ill for a while and missed the lesson on terminal velocity. Yes, I did it at GCSE, but I never had to calculate terminal velocity so I'm at a complete loss.

Physics news on Phys.org
Terminal Velocity equation is sqrt( 2mg/density*Area of object * drag coefficient) Basically the idea is that this is the fastest possible velocity that an object can obtain through freefall. And when it's at it's fastest point The downward force of gravity (9.8 m/s^2) == the drag on an object, so it maintains a constant speed. There's a lot of variables that can change the drag on an object through. And you can see how the equation is derived on wikipedia. That's pretty much what I know about air drag.

Likes Zara-!@#$*
Heliosphan said:
Terminal Velocity equation is sqrt( 2mg/density*Area of object * drag coefficient) Basically the idea is that this is the fastest possible velocity that an object can obtain through freefall. And when it's at it's fastest point The downward force of gravity (9.8 m/s^2) == the drag on an object, so it maintains a constant speed. There's a lot of variables that can change the drag on an object through. And you can see how the equation is derived on wikipedia. That's pretty much what I know about air drag.

I've looked into that equation before, but to find the drag coefficient, I'll need the velocity and I don't know how to find that.

I would think that you would need to measure the speed of the falling object while it is in flight.
The speed normally increases without limit under the influence of gravity, but due to drag it will
only increase up to a point, at which stage it falls with a constant speed - its terminal velocity.
The drag on a falling object increases as the speed of the object increases, that is the drag force
is a function of the speed of the object and it increases as the speed of the falling object increases.
This means at some speeed the drag force will reach the same magnitude as the objects weight.
At this point the net force on the object is zero and it falls at a constant speed - the terminal velocity.
One detector that measures the objects speed is a sonic ranger. It bounces packets of sound off
the object and measures the duration for the sound packets to return to the detector. From these
periods and the known speed of sound in air (or via a calibration procedure) it can then calculate the
speed at which the object is moving.

Likes Zara-!@#$*
One of the issues you need to address with your experiment is how to be sure that the velocity you measure is the terminal velocity. So describe how you would check that.

Zara-!@#$* said:
I've looked into that equation before, but to find the drag coefficient, I'll need the velocity and I don't know how to find that.
Well if we're on Earth, the gravitation acceleration is 9.8 m/s^2. However at terminal velocity the force of drag and the gravitational downward force equal out giving zero acceleration and a constant velocity. And here's a hint about the weight of the object, what's the weight of an object that's in free-fall.

If you have the form of the equation for the velocity as a function of time then you should be able to take several measurements along the trajectory (which aren't necessarily at terminal velocity) and fit such a curve to the data. From the fitted curve you should be able to extract the actual drag and predict the terminal velocity.

1. What is terminal velocity?

Terminal velocity is the maximum speed that an object can reach when falling through a fluid, such as air or water. It occurs when the force of gravity pulling the object down is equal to the force of air resistance pushing against it.

2. Why is it important to calculate terminal velocity?

Calculating terminal velocity can provide valuable information for understanding the behavior of objects in fluids. It can also be useful for engineering purposes, such as designing parachutes or predicting the impact of objects falling from great heights.

3. What are the factors that affect terminal velocity?

The factors that affect terminal velocity include the mass, size, and shape of the falling object, as well as the density and viscosity of the fluid through which it is falling. Air temperature and pressure can also play a role.

4. How is terminal velocity calculated in an experiment?

In an experiment to calculate terminal velocity, the falling object's acceleration is measured using a timer and a measuring tool, such as a photogate. The experiment is repeated with different objects of varying mass, and the data is used to calculate the terminal velocity using the formula: Vt = √(2mg/ρAC), where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, ρ is the density of the fluid, A is the cross-sectional area of the object, and C is the drag coefficient.

5. What are some potential sources of error in an experiment to calculate terminal velocity?

Potential sources of error in an experiment to calculate terminal velocity include air turbulence, inaccuracies in measuring equipment, variations in air temperature and pressure, and human error in timing the falling object. It is important to repeat the experiment multiple times and take the average of the results to minimize these errors.