Calculate Vertical Displacement with Drag Force Equation | Physics Homework

In summary, the homework statement states that if the drag force magnitude is given by the equation D= bv, where b is the drag parameter and v is the instantaneous velocity magnitude of the object, then the vertical displacement through which a dropped object must fall to reach X% of its terminal velocity is given by the equation: Δy= (v^2ty/g)*[(X/100)-ln((100-x)/100))
John Lam

Homework Statement

Assuming that the drag force magnitude is given by the equation D= bv, where b is the drag parameter and v is the instantaneous velocity magnitude of the object.

(a) Show that the vertical displacement through which a dropped object must fall from to reach X% of its terminal velocity is given by the equation:
Δy= (v^2ty/g)*[(X/100)-ln((100-x)/100))
where vty is the object's terminal velocity.

Homework Equations

v=(-mg/b)*(1-e^(-bt/m))

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly ran around in circles with this problem trying to integrate the given equation desperately trying to figure out what this problem was asking for exactly. Then I integrated v=(-mg/b)*(1-e^(-bt/m)). No luck there attempting to recreate the given equation for about three hours now.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

If you had an expression for dy/dv, maybe you could integrate it to get a relation between y and v.

Recall the chain rule: dy/dt = dy/dv ⋅ dv/dt

In your relevant equations you have the equation for velocity as it depends on time. Note that as t approaches infinity limit, [itex] v = -\frac{mg}{b} [/itex]. This is terminal velocity. You want to find how far the distance must be to reach [itex] -\frac{x}{100}\frac{mg}{b} [/itex]. Using this expression, you can solve for time needed to reach that speed. Finding distance is straightforward from there.

But how would I lead it all back to proving this Δy= (v^2ty/g)*[(X/100)-ln((100-x)/100))

You are looking for the distance required to reach a specific velocity, yes? If you know the time required and you have the function of the velocity, how would you then go from velocity to distance?

bigguccisosa said:
In your relevant equations you have the equation for velocity as it depends on time. Note that as t approaches infinity limit, [itex] v = -\frac{mg}{b} [/itex]. This is terminal velocity. You want to find how far the distance must be to reach [itex] -\frac{x}{100}\frac{mg}{b} [/itex]. Using this expression, you can solve for time needed to reach that speed. Finding distance is straightforward from there.
Yes, but TSny's method avoids the need to find the time.

Since v=(-x/100)*(mg/b), I used kinematics equation d=vit+1/2 at^2, assuming a=0, I found t to be -100d*b/mgx

John Lam said:
Since v=(-x/100)*(mg/b), I used kinematics equation d=vit+1/2 at^2, assuming a=0, I found t to be -100d*b/mgx
That is a SUVAT formula. Those are only valid for constant acceleration.

What equation should be used then to isolate t?

John Lam said:
What equation should be used then to isolate t?
There are several ways open to you.
You can start with the differential equation for the acceleration, then use TSny's method to make it a diffeential equation only involving velocity, distance, and a derivative of one with respect to the other (so no time in the equation). Solve that.
Since you are given the solution for velocity as a function of time, you can integrate that. You posted that you tried that but have not posted your working. If you post it we can lead you through it.

how would you go from t=(-m/b) ln((100-x)/(100)) to the vertical displacement?

Melika said:
how would you go from t=(-m/b) ln((100-x)/(100)) to the vertical displacement?
Which post is that a response to? (Please use the Reply/Quote buttons)

haruspex said:
Which post is that a response to? (Please use the Reply/Quote buttons)
The original post i guess. I'm working on the same problem.
The time it takes to reach X% of its terminal velocity is t=(-m/b) ln((100-x)/(100)).
Vy=(mg/b)(e^(-bt/m)-1)
If i plug in t to this equation i get
Vy=(mg/b)(e^(ln((100-x)/(100)) -1)
But I'm not sure what to do next? i know i need to integrate velocity to get displacement but I'm not sure how

Melika said:
i know i need to integrate velocity to get displacement but I'm not sure how
You don't know how to integrate ##\frac{mg}b(1-e^{-\frac{bt}m})## with respect to t?

1. What is drag force and how does it affect objects in motion?

Drag force is a type of frictional force that acts on objects in motion through a fluid (such as air or water). It is caused by the interaction between the object and the fluid it is moving through. The drag force opposes the motion of the object and can cause it to slow down or change direction.

2. How is drag force calculated?

The drag force is calculated using the equation FD = ½ρv2CDA, where ρ is the density of the fluid, v is the velocity of the object, CD is the drag coefficient (which depends on the shape and properties of the object), and A is the cross-sectional area of the object.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of drag force?

The magnitude of drag force depends on several factors, including the density and viscosity of the fluid, the velocity of the object, the size and shape of the object, and the roughness of its surface. Additionally, the presence of other forces (such as gravity) can also affect the magnitude of drag force.

4. How does drag force impact the motion of objects in different mediums?

The impact of drag force on an object's motion can vary depending on the medium it is moving through. For example, an object moving through a gas (such as air) will experience more drag force compared to the same object moving through a liquid (such as water) due to the difference in density and viscosity of the mediums. Additionally, the shape and properties of the object can also play a role in how drag force affects its motion in different mediums.

5. How is drag force important in real-world applications?

Understanding drag force is crucial in various fields such as aerospace, automotive, and marine engineering. It is also important in sports, such as cycling and swimming. By considering the drag force, engineers and designers can optimize the shape and properties of objects to reduce drag and improve their overall performance.