An horizon broading course on Computer science

In summary, a student is struggling with a homework problem that seems too simple and is unsure how to approach it. The student's teacher has advised them to search for the meaning of "trace" but the student is having difficulty understanding the concept. They have attempted a solution involving substituting values but are not sure if it is correct. They are seeking advice on how to better understand and solve the problem.
athrun200

Homework Statement

This is really a horizon broading, even music students and histroy students can take this course.
So I think this HW problem is very simple, but it is too simple that I am afraid I will do it wrongly.

attachment.php?attachmentid=38762&stc=1&d=1315787980.png

Homework Equations

My Dr. said we don't need to know the C++ or any other cmputer language to do this question and he tell us to searh what is the meaning of "trace" in order to do this question.

But I found it difficult to understand on the web(most of them contain computer language)

The Attempt at a Solution

My thought is that, substitute n=4 into the 3 statements, then it's done.
But it contain 10 marks! So I better ask it.

Attachments

• hw1.PNG
    hw1.PNG
    23.6 KB · Views: 494
Physics news on Phys.org
I would think you'd write a list--of each step as you execute it--until you can write "Finished!" Of course, you won't write the letter n each time, you'll write a numeral. :smile:

And if you are chasing marks, you might draw what the two towers look like after each move. :smile: :smile:

I have submitted the first attempt to my teacher and I got the following feedbacks.

I would like to see more "steps" before your step (1),
i.e., moving 3 discs from A to B.

However, I can't think of any extra steps before step 1.
Can anyone help me?

Attachments

• SDC15002.jpg
    SDC15002.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 436
I think you should find some coins of increasing diameter, mark 3 spots on the table as your towers, and work through this yourself. Don't be afraid to find practical ways to solve/simulate/investigate maths problems, often you'll discover where your "paper calculations" are going wrong, especially when you think YOU CAN'T POSSIBLE LEARN ANYTHING more by looking at practical methods.

After each and every move of a coin, sketch the 3 towers.

As a scientist, it is important to have a broad understanding of various fields and to continuously learn and expand our knowledge. It is encouraging to see a course that aims to broaden horizons and attract students from different backgrounds and interests, such as music and history. This not only promotes diversity in the field of computer science, but also allows for a more well-rounded and interdisciplinary approach to problem-solving.

Regarding the homework problem, it is understandable to feel unsure about completing it without prior knowledge of a specific computer language. However, your instructor has assured you that knowing a specific language is not necessary for this question. It is important to trust in their guidance and approach the problem with an open mind.

As for the meaning of "trace", it is a term commonly used in computer science to refer to the path or steps taken by a program or code to reach a certain outcome. It can also refer to the process of identifying and fixing errors in a program. Understanding this concept may be helpful in approaching the problem.

In terms of your proposed solution, it is always a good idea to double-check your work and seek clarification if needed. It is better to ask and ensure that you fully understand the question and have the correct solution, rather than making assumptions and potentially getting the question wrong.

In summary, as a scientist, it is important to approach problems with a critical and open mind, and to continuously seek knowledge and understanding in various fields. This will not only benefit us as individuals, but also contribute to the advancement of science as a whole.

Related to An horizon broading course on Computer science

1. What is a horizon broadening course on Computer Science?

A horizon broadening course on Computer Science is a course that aims to provide students with a wide-ranging and in-depth understanding of the field of Computer Science. It covers various topics such as programming languages, algorithms, data structures, computer architecture, software engineering, artificial intelligence, and more. The course is designed to broaden students' knowledge and perspectives on the ever-evolving world of Computer Science.

2. Who can benefit from taking a horizon broadening course on Computer Science?

Anyone with an interest in Computer Science can benefit from taking a horizon broadening course. This includes students who are pursuing a degree in Computer Science, professionals who want to expand their knowledge and skills, and individuals who are curious about the field and want to learn more about it. This course is also beneficial for those who want to switch careers and enter the world of technology.

3. What are the benefits of taking a horizon broadening course on Computer Science?

Taking a horizon broadening course on Computer Science can provide numerous benefits. It can enhance your problem-solving skills, improve your critical thinking abilities, and develop your analytical skills. It can also open up various career opportunities in the field of technology, as well as increase your earning potential. By gaining a broad understanding of Computer Science, you can also apply your knowledge in various industries and fields.

4. What are the prerequisites for taking a horizon broadening course on Computer Science?

The prerequisites for taking a horizon broadening course on Computer Science may vary depending on the institution or program. However, most courses require a basic understanding of mathematics, as well as some prior knowledge of programming languages such as Java, C++, or Python. It is also beneficial to have some experience in coding and a strong interest in technology.

5. How can I enroll in a horizon broadening course on Computer Science?

To enroll in a horizon broadening course on Computer Science, you can check with your university or college to see if they offer such a course. You can also search for online courses or programs offered by reputable institutions. Make sure to research the curriculum, course fees, and admission requirements before enrolling. Some courses may also have specific enrollment periods, so it is best to plan ahead and apply early.