An inflated tyre suddenly bursts -- What is the temperature of the air?

In summary, the temperature of the air inside the tire decreases when it bursts, but the temperature of the air outside the tire increases. This is due to the conversion of pressure energy to kinetic energy, which causes the air inside the tire to cool off as it expands. However, as a whole, there is no change in temperature because the increase in kinetic energy of the air outside the tire balances out the decrease in kinetic energy of the air inside the tire. This phenomenon can be explained by the kinetic molecular theory of gases, which states that the temperature of a gas is related to the average speed of its particles.
alijan kk

Homework Statement

An inflated tyre suddenly bursts. As a result of this the temperature of air
(a)increases
(b) decreases
(c) may increase or decrease
(d) remains constant.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer in the book is (D) remain constant.

Does it mean air outside the tyre ? (atmosphere)The air formerly in the tire cools off as it expands, as its pressure energy gets converted to kinetic energy.

The kinetic energy added to the atmosphere increases, raising earth’s atmospheric temperature.

in what way this answer is correct? .

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you learned about the kinetic model of a gas? The speed of the particles is related to the temperature.

verty said:
Have you learned about the kinetic model of a gas? The speed of the particles is related to the temperature.
yes K.E=3/2(K T)
and K.E=1/2(mv2)

So do you understand it now? The answer, I mean.

verty said:
So do you understand it now?
i am sorry . I am trying to learn Kinetic molecular theory of gases

verty said:
So do you understand it now?
The air outside got warmer but the air that was inside the tyre got cooler so as a whole there is no change in temperature.
Is it the right discussion?

alijan kk said:
The air outside got warmer but the air that was inside the tyre got cooler so as a whole there is no change in temperature.
Is it the right discussion?
No. Speed of particles.

PS. I'll quote the source post in future.

Last edited:
alijan kk said:
yes K.E=3/2(K T)
and K.E=1/2(mv2)
alijan kk said:
its pressure energy gets converted to kinetic energy.
Yet as you posted temperature is directly related to molecular KE.
alijan kk said:
The air formerly in the tire cools off as it expands
Are you aware of the distinction between expansion that does mechanical work and free expansion?
http://web.mit.edu/16.unified/www/FALL/thermodynamics/notes/node33.html

Have you had a course in thermodynamics yet?

verty said:
No. Speed of particles.
speed of particles (that were inside the tyre)
Chestermiller said:
Have you had a course in thermodynamics yet?
No . I am trying to learn it

1. What causes a tyre to burst?

A tyre can burst due to excessive pressure, wear and tear, or external factors such as debris or sharp objects on the road.

2. Can temperature affect tyre bursting?

Yes, temperature can affect tyre bursting. When the air inside the tyre gets too hot, it expands and increases the pressure, which can lead to a burst.

3. What is the ideal temperature for tyres?

The ideal temperature for tyres is between 32-35 degrees Fahrenheit (0-1.7 degrees Celsius). This is the temperature at which the air inside the tyre is at its optimal pressure.

4. What happens to the air inside a tyre when it bursts?

When a tyre bursts, the air inside it rapidly escapes and the pressure decreases. This sudden change in pressure can cause the surrounding air to cool down, which explains why a burst tyre may feel cold to the touch.

5. How can I prevent my tyres from bursting due to temperature?

To prevent your tyres from bursting due to temperature, make sure to regularly check and maintain proper air pressure levels. Avoid overinflating your tyres and keep them away from direct sunlight or hot surfaces. If you are driving in extreme temperatures, it is recommended to check your tyre pressure more frequently.