An insulating sphere inside a conducting sphere questions

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an insulating sphere inside a concentric conducting spherical shell, which have both been charged. The problem asks for the charge on the insulating sphere, the electric fields at certain radii, the net charge on the conducting shell, and the charges on the inner and outer surfaces of the shell. The conversation goes into detail about how to solve each part of the problem, with the first two parts using equations and the last two parts using the Gauss theorem.
jpruim
Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
I've been given a copy of my friend's midterm exam from this same class from last term, and decided to take a crack at it to help study. One question type in particular really messes me up and it looks like the following. How would I go about solving these in the future?

A solid insulating sphere with radius A is at the center of a concentric conducting spherical shell of inner radius B and outer radius C. After the sphere and shell are charged, it is found that an electric field at a distance D from the center such that A < D < B is Q1 N/C radially inward, while the field at a distance G such that G > C is Q2 radially outward.

Find

1. The charge on the insulating sphere

2. The electric field at a radius such that r < A

3. The net charge on the hollow conducting sphere

4. The electric field at a radius such that B < r < C

5. The charges on the inner and outer surfaces of the hollow conducting sphereOn the assignment given, there were actual values for A-E, Q1 and Q2. However, I’ve replaced them with variables so that I can get more conceptual explanations.

My attempt at part 1 is as follows
[tex]q_e = \vec{E}\cdot 4 \pi r^2 \epsilon_0[/tex]
then set r = D, so that I get
[tex]q_e = \vec{E}\cdot 4 \pi D^2 \epsilon_0[/tex]
Note that D =/= A.
Thus, you would plug in the distance D where the electric field E is to be found, and this would tell me the charge on the insulating sphere (in theory) because the sphere is enclosed within a sphere of radius D.My attempt at part 2 is
[tex]\vec{E} = \frac{kQr}{R^3}[/tex]
where Q is the total charge (i.e. q_e found above), R is the sphere radius (R = A) and r is the electric field radius measurement.

Part 4 I know for sure is that it is 0 since r is within a conducting surface.However, I assume part 5 relies on part 3, which I have no idea how to calculate.
How would I go about solving part 3 and as well part 5? Are my answers for parts 1 and 2 correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello jp, :welcome:

Quite an elaborate first (?) post !
PS: in PF homework sections you really do want to use the template. In fact we're not allowed to assist when it's missing ...

Could you check with the original problem statement for me:

jpruim said:
After the sphere and shell are charged, it is found that an electric field at a distance D from the center such that A < D < B is Q1 N/C radially inward, while the field at a distance G such that G > C is Q2 radially outward.
It would be strange if Q2 would be a given constant, unless the radius for G is also a given. Let me proceed under the assumption that Q2 and ##r_G## are given.

I understand your attempt at making this generic, but using Q for an E field makes things hard to read ...

1) I can follow and I think it's correct. At ##r_D## the field is given as Q1 (I don't understand your term "to be found") so you can write down the answer in terms of the givens.

2) is straight out of the book. Reason I give the link is that you don't describe how you get this answer. I'll guess: using the Gauss theorem. That same theorem helps you (twice) in part 3 ! If ##|\vec E| = 0 ## you know something of the charge inside a Gaussian surface. Idem If ##|\vec E| = {\rm Q_2} ##

and then 5) is a piece of cake.

What is an insulating sphere inside a conducting sphere?

An insulating sphere inside a conducting sphere refers to a setup where a non-conductive sphere is placed inside a larger, conductive sphere. This arrangement is often used in physics experiments to study the behavior of electric fields.

How does an insulating sphere inside a conducting sphere affect electric fields?

The presence of the insulating sphere inside the conducting sphere creates a region of no electric flux, known as the Faraday cage effect. This means that any electric field inside the inner sphere will not affect the outer sphere and vice versa.

What is the purpose of using an insulating sphere inside a conducting sphere?

This setup allows scientists to isolate and study the behavior of electric fields without any external interference. It also helps in understanding the principles of electrostatic shielding and the redistribution of charges in a conductive material.

How does the size and materials of the spheres affect the electric fields?

The size and materials of the spheres can greatly influence the behavior of electric fields. A larger conducting sphere will have a greater shielding effect, while a smaller insulating sphere will have a lower capacity to hold charges. The materials used can also affect the conductivity and redistribution of charges within the spheres.

Can an insulating sphere inside a conducting sphere be used in real-world applications?

Yes, this setup has practical applications in industries such as electronics, telecommunications, and power transmission. It is also used in designing protective equipment for sensitive electronic devices, such as in airplanes and satellites.