Gauss' Law applied to this Charged Spherical Shell with a small hole

In summary: In order to use a gaussian surface like this you must satisfy several conditions. In particular, your surface must use a symmetry of the problem to be able to conclude what the flux through the surface is in terms of the field, which must be orthogonal to the surface based on the symmetry (or parallel to the surface in parts of the surface where you want zero flux). This is not the case here.In summary, a spherical shell of uniform charge has a circular hole cut out of it. The Electric Field at a radius just outside the sphere is $\sigma R^2$.
Jaccobtw
Homework Statement
A spherical shell of uniform charge density σ has a circular hole cut out of it as shown below. What is the Electric Field at a radius just outside the sphere, directly over the center of the circular, cut-out hole? HINT: the hole is small enough that you can treat it as flat, and the point at which you are calculating the field is so close to the hole that it can be approximated as an infinite plane.
Relevant Equations
$$\oint_{}^{} E \cdot dA = \frac{q_e}{\epsilon_o}$$
Screenshot (94).png

First draw a gaussian shape outside of the sphere (a larger sphere) with radius R. The total charge from the (inner) sphere will be:

$$Q = \sigma A$$
$$A = 4\pi r^2$$
$$Q = \sigma 4\pi r^2$$

Use Gauss's Law to derive electric field magnitude

$$\oint_{}^{} E \cdot dA = \frac{q_e}{\epsilon_o}$$
$$E\oint_{}^{} dA = \frac{q_e}{\epsilon_o}$$
$$EA = \frac{q_e}{\epsilon_o}$$
$$E = \frac{q_e}{\epsilon_oA}$$

Substitute for q and A

$$E = \frac{\sigma4\pi r^2}{\epsilon_o4\pi R^2}$$

Cancel

$$E = \frac{\sigma r^2}{\epsilon_o R^2}$$I'm not surprised that this is wrong, but I feel like I should be allowed to use more variables. Anyways, can anyone help me to see what I did incorrectly here?

Much appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have computed just the field from a sphere with constant surface charge, not solved the actual problem (which was a sphere with a circular patch removed).

Orodruin said:
You have computed just the field from a sphere with constant surface charge, not solved the actual problem (which was a sphere with a circular patch removed).
Is the small patch removed dA?

Last edited:
Orodruin said:
Is there enough information from the question to answer it?

Jaccobtw said:
Is there enough information from the question to answer it?
Yes.

Jaccobtw said:
Homework Statement:: A spherical shell of uniform charge density σ has a circular hole cut out of it as shown below. What is the Electric Field at a radius just outside the sphere, directly over the center of the circular, cut-out hole? HINT: the hole is small enough that you can treat it as flat, and the point at which you are calculating the field is so close to the hole that it can be approximated as an infinite plane.
Relevant Equations:: $$\oint_{}^{} E \cdot dA = \frac{q_e}{\epsilon_o}$$

View attachment 298551
$$E = \frac{\sigma4\pi r^2}{\epsilon_o4\pi R^2}$$
Cancel
$$E = \frac{\sigma r^2}{\epsilon_o R^2}$$

I'm not surprised that this is wrong, but I feel like I should be allowed to use more variables. Anyways, can anyone help me to see what I did incorrectly here?

Much appreciated
Hint: Use the principle of superposition, the hole having surface charge density of ##-\sigma##, and a sphere with no hole.

Likes PhDeezNutz
Well you can use symmetry because the hole is small enough. The piece of area opposite the hole has an electric field pointing out I think
SammyS said:
Hint: Use the principle of superposition, the hole having surface charge density of ##-\sigma##, and a sphere with no hole.
how does the hole have a surface charge density of -##\sigma##?

Jaccobtw said:
how does the hole have a surface charge density of -σ?
The hole has no charge. Therefore, to get to that situation from a uniformly charged sphere with charge density ##\sigma## you must subtract a charge density ##-\sigma## where the hole is.

Orodruin said:
The hole has no charge. Therefore, to get to that situation from a uniformly charged sphere with charge density ##\sigma## you must subtract a charge density ##-\sigma## where the hole is.
What if you use a cylinder to enclose the empty hole and the other side of the sphere. If you do that I think you get ##\sigma / 2 \epsilon_o ##

Jaccobtw said:
What if you use a cylinder to enclose the empty hole and the other side of the sphere. If you do that I think you get ##\sigma / 2 \epsilon_o ##
That's an incorrect method.

That would imply the the E-field Just outside the sphere of the side opposite this very small hole also has magnitude ##\dfrac{\sigma }{ 2 \epsilon_0 } ##: half what the field is nearby.

No way !

Jaccobtw said:
In order to use a gaussian surface like this you must satisfy several conditions. In particular, your surface must use a symmetry of the problem to be able to conclude what the flux through the surface is in terms of the field, which must be orthogonal to the surface based on the symmetry (or parallel to the surface in parts of the surface where you want zero flux). This is not the case here.

You want to use the hint of the problem to consider the hole as an infinite sheet.

Likes SammyS

What is Gauss' Law and how is it applied to a Charged Spherical Shell with a small hole?

Gauss' Law is a fundamental law in electrostatics that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the enclosed charge. When applied to a Charged Spherical Shell with a small hole, it states that the electric flux through the closed surface is equal to the charge enclosed by the shell.

How do you calculate the electric field at a point outside the shell?

The electric field at a point outside the shell can be calculated using the formula E = Q/(4πε₀r²), where Q is the charge enclosed by the shell, ε₀ is the permittivity of free space, and r is the distance from the center of the shell to the point.

What is the electric field inside the shell and at the surface of the shell?

Inside the shell, the electric field is zero since the charge is enclosed within the shell and there is no net electric field. At the surface of the shell, the electric field is equal to the charge density at that point.

How does the presence of a small hole affect the electric field and flux through the shell?

The presence of a small hole does not affect the electric field or flux through the shell as long as the hole is small enough compared to the size of the shell. This is because the electric field and flux only depend on the total charge enclosed by the shell, not on the specific distribution of the charge.

What is the significance of Gauss' Law applied to a Charged Spherical Shell with a small hole?

Gauss' Law applied to a Charged Spherical Shell with a small hole is significant because it allows us to easily calculate the electric field and flux through the shell without having to consider the specific distribution of charge. It also demonstrates the concept of symmetry in electrostatics, where the electric field and flux are the same at all points on a spherical shell with a uniform charge distribution.