An integral on the real line that spits out complex answer?

In summary: Summary: In summary, the conversation discussed a difficult integral involving an exponential function and a parameter restricted to real values. The integral is part of Schafli's integral representation of the Bessel function with parameter 1/2 and requires advanced methods such as contour integration and the theory of special functions to evaluate. The speaker suggests studying these topics for a better understanding and encourages the listener not to get discouraged in their studies.
Kurome
I've recently encountered a baffling integral given by:
[tex]\int_0^\infty \exp \left(-x \sinh(t)-\frac{1}{2} t \right) dt[/tex]​

Where x is restricted to be real.

I've tried doing the elementary methods like integration by parts or looking for differentials, but with no luck. I was quite baffled when I tried to use a computer algebra system to compute it. It's spitting out complex numbers and special functions (imaginary error function and complementary error function).

I know this definitely isn't your usual integral, it's actually one of the terms of Schafli's integral representation of the Bessel function with parameter 1/2.

Can somebody help me evaluate this? I'm thinking of studying how Schafli's integral representation of that Bessel integral was derived (I know it involves countour integrals), but I'm not quite sure if it will give me a clue on how to solve the integral above. I'm not even sure if this can be solved analytically.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your experience with this integral. It is indeed a challenging one, and I can understand your frustration with trying to evaluate it using elementary methods.

As you mentioned, this integral is part of Schafli's integral representation of the Bessel function with parameter 1/2. This representation involves contour integration, and it is not surprising that a computer algebra system would give complex numbers and special functions as the result.

To evaluate this integral, you will need to use more advanced methods such as contour integration, residue theorem, and the theory of special functions. These methods are beyond the scope of elementary calculus, but they are commonly used in advanced mathematics and physics.

I would suggest studying Schafli's integral representation and the theory of special functions to gain a better understanding of this integral. This will also give you a better idea of how to approach similar integrals in the future.

I hope this helps, and I wish you all the best in your studies. Don't get discouraged, as challenging integrals like this one often lead to new insights and discoveries in mathematics.

1. What is an integral on the real line that spits out complex answer?

An integral on the real line that spits out complex answer is a mathematical operation that involves finding the area under a curve of a function that has both real and imaginary components. The result of this integral will be a complex number.

2. How is an integral on the real line different from a regular integral?

An integral on the real line is different from a regular integral because it involves integrating a function that has both real and imaginary components, while a regular integral only deals with real numbers. This means that the result of an integral on the real line will be a complex number, while a regular integral will result in a real number.

3. What are some real-world applications of an integral on the real line that spits out complex answer?

An integral on the real line that spits out complex answer has many real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, it can be used to calculate the electric field of a charged particle, determine the stability of a system in control theory, and model the stock market.

4. How is an integral on the real line calculated?

An integral on the real line is calculated using the same principles as a regular integral. However, since it involves integrating a function with both real and imaginary components, it requires some additional techniques such as complex integration and contour integration.

5. What are some challenges of working with an integral on the real line that spits out complex answer?

One of the main challenges of working with an integral on the real line that spits out complex answer is understanding and manipulating complex numbers. Additionally, since it involves integrating functions with both real and imaginary components, it can be more complex and require more advanced mathematical techniques compared to regular integrals.