Integral of e^(ikx^3): Write as Line Integral from 0 to $\infty$

• I
  • Thread starter spacetimedude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the integral $$\int_0^\infty dx\exp(ikx^3) , k>0$$ can be expressed as a contour integral along the line ##arg(z) = \frac{\pi}{6}##, with the limits of integration being from 0 to ##\infty##. By substituting ##z=re^{i\pi/6}## and ##dz=e^{i\pi/6}dr##, the integral can be written as $$e^{i\pi/6}\int^\infty_{0} e^{-
spacetimedude
Show that $$\int_0^\infty dx\exp(ikx^3) , k>0$$ may be written as integral from 0 to ##\infty## along the line ##arg(z) = \frac{\pi}{6}##.

I'd appreciate it if you can help me how to approach this problem. My initial impression was to expand the integrand out
$$\sum^{\infty}_{n=0}\frac{(ikx^3)^n}{n!}$$
but did not how to obtain the ##arg(z)## condition. I plugged the integral in wolframalpha and gave me an expression with a Gamma function, which the lecture has covered but I'm not sure how to apply here.

Thanks

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
spacetimedude said:
Show that $$\int_0^\infty dx\exp(ikx^3) , k>0$$ may be written as integral from 0 to ##\infty## along the line ##arg(z) = \frac{\pi}{6}##.

I'd appreciate it if you can help me how to approach this problem. My initial impression was to expand the integrand out
$$\sum^{\infty}_{n=0}\frac{(ikx^3)^n}{n!}$$
but did not how to obtain the ##arg(z)## condition. I plugged the integral in wolframalpha and gave me an expression with a Gamma function, which the lecture has covered but I'm not sure how to apply here.

Thanks
Which expression in terms of the gamma-function do you get from the substitution ##t = -ikx^3\,##?

fresh_42 said:
Which expression in terms of the gamma-function do you get from the substitution ##t = -ikx^3\,##?

Wolfram says $$\frac{\Gamma(\frac{4}{3})}{\sqrt[3]{-ik}}.$$
I have been told that using ##i=\exp(i\frac{\pi}{2})## helps but I can only get as far as writing the integrand as ##\exp(\exp(i\frac{\pi}{2})kx^3))## and not sure what to do after.

spacetimedude said:
Wolfram says $$\frac{\Gamma(\frac{4}{3})}{\sqrt[3]{-ik}}.$$
I have been told that using ##i=\exp(i\frac{\pi}{2})## helps but I can only get as far as writing the integrand as ##\exp(\exp(i\frac{\pi}{2})kx^3))## and not sure what to do after.
That wasn't my question. I've asked what do you get, not WolframAlpha. The substitution of ##i## might help to properly calculate the powers of ##i## but I'd rather write ##k=ic## to begin. In any case one has to be cautious with the handling of the purely imaginary constants.

The substitution ##t \mapsto -ikx^3## allows to write ##x## as power of ##t## as well as the integral in terms of the gamma function.

I think the exercise asks not to compute the value of the integral but to express it as a contour integral with the contour being the line ##arg(z)=\frac{\pi}{6}##.

Likes spacetimedude
Delta² said:
I think the exercise asks not to compute the value of the integral but to express it as a contour integral with the contour being the line ##arg(z)=\frac{\pi}{6}##.
Yes, the expression is what I am looking for.
I am solving one of the past exam papers for my university and it is the first part of the question.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2017-12-05 18.39.24.png
    Screenshot 2017-12-05 18.39.24.png
    18.1 KB · Views: 678
fresh_42 said:
That wasn't my question. I've asked what do you get, not WolframAlpha. The substitution of ##i## might help to properly calculate the powers of ##i## but I'd rather write ##k=ic## to begin. In any case one has to be cautious with the handling of the purely imaginary constants.

The substitution ##t \mapsto -ikx^3## allows to write ##x## as power of ##t## as well as the integral in terms of the gamma function.
Okay, so I am looking for the expression of the contour integral as Delta said. I allowed ##i=\exp(i\frac{\pi}{2})## and extend the integral to z space. Then let ##z=r\exp(i\theta)##, yielding
$$ \int _C dz e^{{kr^2e^{i(\pi/2+3\theta)}}}.$$

Do you think this is correct so far? Maybe ##z=r\exp(i\theta)## is unnecessary.

Last edited:
What I have now is:
Choose ##z=re^{i\pi/6}## so ##dz=e^{i\pi/6}dr##. Plug in the integral ->
$$e^{i\pi/6}\int^\infty_{-\infty} e^{ikr^3e^{i\pi/2}}$$ and note ##e^{i\pi/2}=i##
Finally, the integral becomes $$e^{i\pi/6}\int^\infty_{-\infty} e^{-kr^3}.$$
Does this seem right?

The limits of integration should be from 0 to ##+\infty## (the contour is the positive part of the line ##z=re^{i\pi/6}##.

However in order to be rigorous and clear you have to provide a function ##f:\mathbb{C}->\mathbb{C}## such that
##\int_0^{\infty}f(z(r))z'(r)dr=\int_0^{\infty}e^{ikr^3}dr##

What is the integral of e^(ikx^3) from 0 to $\infty$?

The integral of e^(ikx^3) from 0 to $\infty$ is a complex number that is dependent on the value of k. It cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions and must be approximated using numerical methods.

Can the integral of e^(ikx^3) be simplified?

No, the integral of e^(ikx^3) cannot be simplified as it involves a complex exponential function and a non-polynomial variable in the exponent. It can only be approximated using numerical methods.

What is the significance of the value of k in the integral of e^(ikx^3)?

The value of k in the integral of e^(ikx^3) affects the shape and behavior of the integrand. It determines the frequency and phase of the oscillations in the complex plane and can lead to different results for the integral.

How does the integral of e^(ikx^3) relate to other integrals?

The integral of e^(ikx^3) is related to other integrals involving complex functions and oscillatory behavior. It is also used in solving problems in quantum mechanics and signal processing.

Can the integral of e^(ikx^3) be evaluated using traditional integration techniques?

No, the integral of e^(ikx^3) cannot be evaluated using traditional integration techniques as it involves a complex exponential function and a non-polynomial variable in the exponent. It can only be approximated using numerical methods.