An interesting coupled oscillators problem (multiple springs and masses)

In summary, I need to find the differential equations for each mass. I was thinking consider the next system:But I'm not sure, anybody can help me please?For y_1:What is "y" in the k\Delta y in k\Delta y-mg=m\frac{d^2 y_2}{dt^2}?And for me, the units do not match in these equations (position units versus force units?)
mliempi2018
Homework Statement
Waves and oscillations
Relevant Equations
2nd Newton's Law.
Sin título.png

I need to find the differential equations for each mass. ##y_1## is the equilibrium position, and ##y_2## is the second equilibrium position for each mass.
I was thinking consider the next sistem:

\begin{eqnarray}
k\Delta y-mg&=&m\frac{d^2 y_2}{dt^2}
\\ -2k\Delta y_1 -k\Delta y_2 -2mg &=&m\frac{d^2 y_1}{dt^2}
\end{eqnarray}

But I'm not sure , anybody can help me please??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mliempi2018 said:
\begin{eqnarray}
y_2 (t) &=& k\Delta y-mg=m\frac{d^2 y_2}{dt^2}
\\ y_1(t)&=& -2k\Delta y_1 -k\Delta y_2 -2mg =m\frac{d^2 y_1}{dt^2}
\end{eqnarray}
I don’t understand the ##y_1 (t)=## and ##y_2 (t)=##. Do you mean "For ##y_1##:" etc?
What is "y" in the ##k\Delta y## in ##k\Delta y-mg=m\frac{d^2 y_2}{dt^2}##?

And for me, the units do not match in these equations (position units versus force units?)

1593297692082.png

\begin{eqnarray}
\Delta y
\end{eqnarray}
is the variation of each spring, and k is the resort constant,, and I'm sorry, y_1 is the solution, it is my mistake.

mliempi2018 said:
\begin{eqnarray}
\Delta y
\end{eqnarray}
is the variation of each spring, and k is the resort constant,, and I'm sorry, y_1 is the solution, it is my mistake.
No worries. Can you re-write your differential equations so the units are consistent? That will help a lot in moving forward. Thanks. :smile:

mliempi2018 said:
\begin{eqnarray}
\Delta y
\end{eqnarray}
But you wrote ##k\Delta y-mg=m\frac{d^2 y_2}{dt^2}##. So you have ##k\Delta y## on the left but ##y_2## on the right. So presumably you meant ##k\Delta y_2-mg=m\frac{d^2 y_2}{dt^2}##, yes?
But that is incorrect. The length of the middle spring is ##y_1-y_2##, so the variation in its length is the variation in that expression.
Your second equation has several errors. I feel you have jumped straight into writing the differential equations when you would do better to take it in smaller steps. Write variables for the forces in the springs, and write the ##\Sigma F=ma## equation for each mass in terms of those forces and the force of gravity on that mass.

Hi! does this exercise come from a book?

1. What is a coupled oscillator problem?

A coupled oscillator problem involves multiple oscillators that are connected and interact with each other, causing them to move in a coordinated manner.

2. What is the significance of studying coupled oscillators?

Studying coupled oscillators allows us to understand and analyze complex systems in nature, such as the behavior of molecules, atoms, and even celestial bodies. It also has applications in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering.

3. How do multiple springs and masses affect the behavior of coupled oscillators?

The number and arrangement of springs and masses can affect the frequency and amplitude of the oscillations in a coupled oscillator system. Different configurations can result in different types of oscillatory motion, such as simple harmonic motion or chaotic behavior.

4. What is the role of damping in coupled oscillator problems?

Damping refers to the dissipation of energy in a system, which can affect the amplitude and frequency of oscillations in coupled oscillators. It can also lead to the eventual decay of oscillations in the system.

5. Can coupled oscillator problems be solved analytically?

In some cases, coupled oscillator problems can be solved analytically using mathematical equations and principles such as Newton's laws of motion and Hooke's law. However, for more complex systems, numerical methods and computer simulations may be necessary to find solutions.