Analemma layout and proportions on a sundial

• A
  • Thread starter 1940LaSalle
  • Start date
In summary, the proportions of the analemma for an analemmatic sundial can be determined by converting the sun's declination (D) and the equation of time (E) into the same units (degrees). This can be done by using the fact that the sun moves 360 degrees in 24*60 = 1440 minutes, so E of 15 minutes is equivalent to an angular deviation of 3.75 degrees. A reference for this information can be found in Meeus' Astronomical Algorithms.
1940LaSalle
TL;DR Summary
Looking for proportions and similar guidance in laying out an analemma: specifically, the abscissa (equation of time) component. Sun declination is fairly easy to get.
I want to lay out an analemmatic sundial, with a true figure 8 analemma for the gnomon position instead of the more common date marks. Everything I read shows that the ordinates of the points on the curve are a function of the sun's declination on a given date. Further, I'm also given to understand that the abscissae are functions of the equation of time on a given date--and the equation of time is fairly easy to get from a source like Meeus' Astronomical Algorithms. What has me baffled is the proportions of the analemma.

I recall that the height of the analemma is some fraction of the major axis of the ellipse on which the hour points are laid out. Let's call that D, since it comes from the sun's declination. I believe that the equation of time varies from about -15 minutes (sun lags behind clock time) to +15 minutes (sun precedes clock time) over the course of a year. Let's call the range of abscissae that cover that ±15 minutes E, for equation of time. What I haven't found and need is the proportion of E to D--or if not a set proportion, a range of values. And a reference for this information would be extremely valuable.

Thanks very much.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I think your problem is that you have one axis (D) in degrees, and the other axis (E) in minutes. You need to convert E into degrees so you can plot them both in the same units. Since the sun moves 360 degrees in 24*60 = 1440 minutes, E of 15 minutes is an angular deviation E = 15 * 360 / 1440 = 3.75 degrees. Does this help? This link might be useful.

Likes sophiecentaur

1. What is an analemma layout on a sundial?

An analemma layout on a sundial is the figure-eight shape that is created when the sun's position in the sky is plotted at the same time each day for an entire year. It shows the sun's declination and the equation of time, which are important factors in accurately measuring time with a sundial.

2. How are the proportions of an analemma determined on a sundial?

The proportions of an analemma on a sundial are determined by the latitude at which the sundial is located. The angle of the gnomon (the part of the sundial that casts a shadow) must be adjusted to match the latitude in order to accurately track the sun's position throughout the year.

3. Why is the analemma shape on a sundial not a perfect circle?

The analemma shape on a sundial is not a perfect circle because the Earth's orbit around the sun is not a perfect circle. The Earth's orbit is slightly elliptical, which causes the sun's position to vary slightly throughout the year. This variation is what creates the figure-eight shape of the analemma.

4. Can the analemma layout on a sundial be used to determine the time of day?

Yes, the analemma layout on a sundial can be used to determine the time of day. By aligning the gnomon with the correct position on the analemma, the sundial can accurately show the time based on the position of the sun in the sky.

5. Are there different types of analemmas used on sundials?

Yes, there are different types of analemmas used on sundials. The most common type is the horizontal analemma, which is used on flat sundials. There are also vertical analemmas, which are used on vertical sundials, and polar analemmas, which are used on polar sundials.