Analyse the cutting force of this bolt cutter

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of determining the force in the small opening of a plier, which is delivered from the 250 N on both sides. The person has tried multiple approaches but has not been able to arrive at the correct answer. The conversation also mentions the importance of including all the necessary pivots in the diagram, as well as using the Principle of Virtual Work in solving the problem.
BiostudentWouter
Homework Statement
force calculations
Relevant Equations
Determine the force created due to the compression of the plier
Schermafbeelding 2020-01-17 om 20.26.14.png

The question is to determine the force in the small opening, delivered from the 250 N on both sides of the plier.
i tried multiple things but can't get the answer right. Anyone that could help me?
This is my work so far:
IMG_4362.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:
BiostudentWouter said:
Homework Statement:: force calculations
Homework Equations:: Determine the force created due to the compression of the plier

View attachment 255743
The question is to determine the force in the small opening, delivered from the 250 N on both sides of the plier.
i tried multiple things but can't get the answer right. Anyone that could help me?
We cannot help you until you show your work so far. Please post your FBD and show your calculations that you have tried. Thanks.

EDIT -- it looks like you've gone back and posted your initial calculations. Thank you. :smile:

Last edited:
This would be an excellent place to employ the Principle of Virtual Work.

• Informative
Likes berkeman
haruspex said:
Your diagram omits the second fulcrum, the one 70mm from the workpiece.
This is an essential part of the mechanism.

Yes, and there are two more pivots 230mm from the work that the force diagram appears to treat as rigid.

1. What is the purpose of analyzing the cutting force of a bolt cutter?

The purpose of analyzing the cutting force of a bolt cutter is to understand the amount of force required to cut through different materials and to determine the strength and efficiency of the bolt cutter.

2. How is the cutting force measured in a bolt cutter?

The cutting force in a bolt cutter is typically measured using a force gauge or load cell attached to the handles of the cutter. The gauge measures the amount of force applied when cutting through a material.

3. What factors affect the cutting force of a bolt cutter?

The cutting force of a bolt cutter can be affected by factors such as the material being cut, the blade design and sharpness, the handle length and strength, and the user's strength and technique.

4. What are the potential consequences of using a bolt cutter with inadequate cutting force?

If a bolt cutter does not have enough cutting force, it may not be able to cut through tougher materials, leading to an incomplete cut or damage to the cutter. It can also cause strain and fatigue on the user's hands and arms.

5. How can the cutting force of a bolt cutter be improved?

The cutting force of a bolt cutter can be improved by using a stronger and sharper blade, maintaining the cutter properly, and using proper cutting techniques. Additionally, choosing a bolt cutter with longer handles or a higher quality design can also increase cutting force.