To prove that three forces are in equilibrium

In summary, Mitch has asked for help regarding the equilibrium of forces acting at O. The forces are in equilibrium if and only if the lengths of the lines connecting the points of the force are in the same proportion as the original triangle.
gnits
Homework Statement
To prove that three forces are in equilibrium
Relevant Equations
Equating of forces
Could I please ask for help regarding the following question:

D, E and F are the midpoints of the sides QR, RP and PQ respectively of triangle PQR whose circumcenter is O. Forces of magnitude kQR, kRP and kPQ act at O in directions ##\overrightarrow{OD}##, ##\overrightarrow{OE}## and ##\overrightarrow{OF}## respectively.

Prove that the forces are in equilibrium.

I am allowed to make use of the following fact, (although I am free to answer the question any other way):

theorem.png

With both forces going away from A we have:

##p\overrightarrow{AB}## + ##q\overrightarrow{AC}## = ##(p+q)\overrightarrow{AD}##

where

##BD:DC = q:p##

Here's a diagram for the problem (the green stuff is referenced in my solution below where I attempt to apply the above fact).

solution..png

I was hoping to show that the kPQ and kQR forces combined to give a force which was opposite (so ##\overrightarrow{OX}## would be opposite to ##\overrightarrow{OE}## ) and of equal size to the kRP force by using the above fact. Well straight off I see that this would give a force of magnitude k(QR + PQ) which I would need to be equal to kRP, and I can't see how that can be so.

Thanks for any help,
Mitch.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show that the three forces form a closed triangle if you move them around parallel to themselves? Sure.

kuruman said:
Can you show that the three forces form a closed triangle if you move them around parallel to themselves? Sure.
Thanks for your hint. I think it has enabled me to see it: I see that the three forces have lengths which are in the same proportion to each other as the original triangle,. Now, because O is the circumcentre then it must be the case that each of the forces is perpendicular to the side of the original triangle that it intersects (e.g. OD is perpendicular to rq etc). So the lines are of the right length and relative orientation to each other to form a closed triangle which is similar to the original. (Now, I doubt myself, D is the midpoint of rq, doesn't mean that OD is perpendicular to rq though). Ok, it does because O, being the circumcentre, is equidistant from r and q).

Last edited:
Not quite.
gnits said:
Now, because O is the circumcentre then it must be the case that each of the forces is perpendicular to the side of the original triangle that it intersects (e.g. OD is perpendicular to rq etc).
I don't think that this true. The problem says that OD intersects rq at its midpoint. This doesn't necessarily make OD perpendicular to rq. It would be perpendicular if rq were the base of an isosceles triangle, pr=pq. We are not told that this is the case here. Hint: You can construct a triangle uniquely if you are given (a) one side and the two angles that it is part of, (b) two sides and the angle between them, (c) all three sides.

Last edited:
O as the circumcentre must be equidistant from all the vertices. Thus ORQ is an isosceles triangle and OD is perpendicular to QR. D,O,P are not necessarily collinear. O is not the centroid. (It might help to redraw the diagram more accurately.)

Likes hutchphd
To @gnits:
Let me provide a most generous second hint, but before you proceed reading this post, please reread the hint in post #4, paying special attention to case (c).

Most generous second hint: Line segments ##RP##, ##PQ## and ##QR## form a triangle if put together. Can lengths ##kRP##, ##kPQ## and ##kQR## (where ##k## is a constant) also form a triangle if put together? Why or why not?

Thanks to everyone for their help, kuruman's was particularly of help to me, I am most grateful. These have helped me to see my way to the answer. Thanks again, Mitch.

Likes kuruman

1. What is equilibrium?

Equilibrium is a state in which all forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in no net force and thus no acceleration.

2. How do you prove that three forces are in equilibrium?

To prove that three forces are in equilibrium, you must show that the vector sum of the forces is equal to zero. This can be done by breaking down each force into its horizontal and vertical components and then using vector addition to determine the resultant force.

3. What is the significance of proving equilibrium?

Proving equilibrium is important in understanding the stability and motion of objects. It allows us to analyze and predict how forces will affect an object and whether it will remain in a state of rest or move with constant velocity.

4. Can three forces ever be in equilibrium if they are not equal in magnitude?

Yes, three forces can be in equilibrium even if they are not equal in magnitude. As long as their vector sum is equal to zero, they are considered to be in equilibrium.

5. Are there any real-life examples of three forces in equilibrium?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of three forces in equilibrium. Some examples include a book resting on a table, a person standing still on the ground, and a bridge supporting the weight of cars and trucks.