Analysis of Ultrasonic Waves at a point

In summary, the conversation discusses a theoretical analysis of Ultrasonic waves and how to describe the interference and intensity of these waves at a point in space. The sound waves are linear and can be described as a function of displacement generated by each transducer. Factors such as the intensity of the waves, the angle from the axis of the transmitter, and the gain pattern of the pickup transducer also need to be considered. The ultimate goal is to create a simulation in MATLAB that can calculate the pressure and intensity at a point from a collection of transducers.
CGandC
I have a question regarding a theoretical analysis of Ultrasonic waves :

The next picture represents a system of transducers sitting on fixed boards:
upload_2018-5-12_15-58-50.png

Datum:
* there are 4 transducers ( represented by blue color , indexed by letter ' T ' ) , each outputting Ultrasonic wave (represented by red) and sitting on planar surfaces
* 2 transducers are separated with distance L1 from each other
* another 2 transducers are separated with distance L2 from each other

Question:
How can I describe the interference and Intensity of the Ultrasonic waves ( from each transducer ) at a point (x,y) in space? What's the mathematical/theoretical formalism?

Note: I didn't write frequencies/wavelengths/pressure magnitude ,etc. These will be variables ( not necessarily to be found )

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-12_15-58-50.png
    upload_2018-5-12_15-58-50.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 1,072
Physics news on Phys.org
CGandC said:
I have a question regarding a theoretical analysis of Ultrasonic waves :

The next picture represents a system of transducers sitting on fixed boards:
View attachment 225598

Datum:
* there are 4 transducers ( represented by blue color , indexed by letter ' T ' ) , each outputting Ultrasonic wave (represented by red) and sitting on planar surfaces
* 2 transducers are separated with distance L1 from each other
* another 2 transducers are separated with distance L2 from each other

Question:
How can I describe the interference and Intensity of the Ultrasonic waves ( from each transducer ) at a point (x,y) in space? What's the mathematical/theoretical formalism?

Note: I didn't write frequencies/wavelengths/pressure magnitude ,etc. These will be variables ( not necessarily to be found )
Sound waves are linear. If you can describe the displacement generated by each transducer at ##(x,y)## as a function ##f_i(x,y,t)##, then you can just sum up the functions for all of the transducers to get ##\sum_i f_i(x,y,t)##.

CGandC said:
How can I describe the interference and Intensity of the Ultrasonic waves ( from each transducer ) at a point (x,y) in space?
As @tnich says, they add linearly, but you need to take several other things into consideration:
  • The intensity of the waves decreases as they move away from the source transmitter
  • The intensity pattern of the transmitters varies with the angle from the axis of the transmitter (the intensity decreases with increasing angle off-axis)
  • Any pickup transducer you use will also have a similar "gain" pattern that falls off with increasing angle off-axis) -- it is difficult to make an isotropic transmitter or receiver for ultrasound.
Can you say more about the application? A typical pattern for Tx and Rx for an ultrasonic transducer is shown below...

http://www.newelectronics.co.uk/article-images/image-library/93/Fig5.jpg

Fig5.jpg

Attachments

• Fig5.jpg
    Fig5.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 1,042
Likes sophiecentaur
tnich said:
Sound waves are linear. If you can describe the displacement generated by each transducer at ##(x,y)## as a function ##f_i(x,y,t)##, then you can just sum up the functions for all of the transducers to get ##\sum_i f_i(x,y,t)##.
- When you say displacement of the transducer, do you mean the pressure function of each soundwave emitted from a transducer or the velocity potential ϕ of each soundwave?

- If I understood what you said, suppose each soundwave from each transducer has a wavenumber indexed as ## k_i ## in the picture below:
upload_2018-5-12_23-39-50.png

Next, I want to describe the pressure disturbance function ## P(x,y) ## as a result from the superposition of soundwaves emitted from transducers T1 , T2 , T3 and T4 , so i'll suppose the disturbance is a planewave , and in order to describe the planewave easily, i'll create a coordinate axis on each transducer to make the plane equation ( ## \vec{k}*\vec{r} = const ## ) "Nice" to look at :

upload_2018-5-13_0-34-4.png
So, I suppose that the total pressure function that results from the superposition of the pressure function of the transducers T1 , T2 , T3 , T4 is: ## P(x,y) = A_1*e^{(\vec{k_1}*\vec{r'_1}-\omega*t)} + A_2*e^{(\vec{k_2}*\vec{r'_2}-\omega*t)}+A_3*e^{(\vec{k_3}*\vec{r'_3}-\omega*t)}+A_4*e^{(\vec{k_4}*\vec{r'_4}-\omega*t)}
##

Where ## \vec{r'_i} ## is a vector on the planewave relative to i-th coordinate axis. ( there are 4 coordinate axis , 1 for each transducer ).
## A_i ## is a constant
## A_i*e^{(\vec{k_i}*\vec{r'_i}-\omega*t)} ## is the pressure function for the i-th transducer

And I suppose the soundwaves are coherent.

Would you say this analysis is correct?

___

berkeman said:
As @tnich says, they add linearly, but you need to take several other things into consideration:
  • The intensity of the waves decreases as they move away from the source transmitter
  • The intensity pattern of the transmitters varies with the angle from the axis of the transmitter (the intensity decreases with increasing angle off-axis)
  • Any pickup transducer you use will also have a similar "gain" pattern that falls off with increasing angle off-axis) -- it is difficult to make an isotropic transmitter or receiver for ultrasound.
Can you say more about the application? A typical pattern for Tx and Rx for an ultrasonic transducer is shown below...

http://www.newelectronics.co.uk/article-images/image-library/93/Fig5.jpg

View attachment 225624
The theoretical system I've drawn is merely to achive a general idea so there's no specific transducer yet... I aim to create a simulation in MATLAB that will calculate the pressure/intensity at a point from a collection of transducers and will know the direction of the resultant ultrasonic wave.

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-12_23-39-50.png
    upload_2018-5-12_23-39-50.png
    3.5 KB · Views: 538
  • upload_2018-5-13_0-34-4.png
    upload_2018-5-13_0-34-4.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 539
CGandC said:
The theoretical system I've drawn is merely to achive a general idea so there's no specific transducer yet... I aim to create a simulation in MATLAB that will calculate the pressure/intensity at a point from a collection of transducers and will know the direction of the resultant ultrasonic wave.
Fair enough, sounds like a fun project. My main point was to use real-world transducer gain-versus-angle numbers from their datasheets if you want a simulation that will be accurate in real-world testing. It's a lot easier if you assume isotropic Tx and Rx, but that's not how it works in the real world. Have fun! :smile:

There are some "i"s missing in those exponential versions of the trig in post #4 but we recognise what you are proposing. If you want to calculate the pattern, it would be easier to stick to the Real part all the way through. (Just the cos's or sin's)

As @berkeman points out, because the transducers are not pointing in the same direction, you would need to modify that vector summation by the directivity patterns unless you are considering the area where all the transducer patterns are within about +/- 30 degrees.
If I were doing this exercise, I would be inclined to start off by assuming omnidirectional patterns to start with - just to get it working convincingly. To include the directivity could be a bit fiddly - more trouble than the initial calculation. To start with, I would perhaps place the transducers in a line. That would produce a very familiar pattern.

If this is to be followed by a real world version, the mounting boards could possibly introduce reflections from the 'other two' transducers. It may be necessary to use some absorbent coating to deal with that.
CGandC said:
so i'll suppose the disturbance is a planewave ,
Why would you assume that? The waves around the (xy) point on the diagram will be a total mishmash and not plane at all. But that doesn't matter if you are calculating the amplitude distribution over a 2D grid.

Likes berkeman
So if I understood of what was meant by saying that the disturbances should be omnidirectional:
My solutions would be better if I use spherical waves and write the solution in real form:

## P(x,y) = \frac{ A_1*cos(k_1*r_1-\omega*t) }{r_1} +\frac{ A_2*cos(k_2*r_2-\omega*t) }{r_2}+\frac{ A_3*cos(k_3*r_3-\omega*t) }{r_3} + \frac{ A_4*cos(k_4*r_4-\omega*t) }{r_4}
##
where ## r_i ## is the distance from each transducer to the spherical wavefront relative to the i-th transducer .

Is this solution better? ( I think so because the intensity now drops off as the distance from the transducer grows and the distrubances are omnidirectional )

CGandC said:
if I use spherical waves
I guess that is implicit in the idea that you are calculating the path lengths from the four sources to the (x,y) selected. You assume point sources here and that approximation gets better as the distance increases - as you'd expect. There's a bit of a paradox here because point sources would be omnidirectional in the near field but there has to be a limit to how far you want to go in polishing it up.

I just spotted that radiation pattern in @berkeman's post, earlier on. That refers to a radio antenna (dipole array), which produces different patterns in different planes because EM waves are transverse. Ultrasound waves are longitudinal so that's one problem you won't have. You can use the 'Horizontal' pattern which is based on point sized elements and is not influenced by the vertical pattern of each dipole. Even so, the half amplitude width is +/- 50° and a factor of a half for some contributions can be really significant to the pattern. So ignore this until you are confident your basic calculation gives convincing results.

Last edited:

What is the purpose of analyzing ultrasonic waves at a point?

The purpose of analyzing ultrasonic waves at a point is to understand the characteristics of the waves, such as their frequency, amplitude, and speed, and to use this information to gather data about the environment or materials that the waves are passing through.

How are ultrasonic waves created and detected at a point?

Ultrasonic waves are created by applying high-frequency sound waves to a material, which causes it to vibrate and produce ultrasonic waves. They are detected using a transducer, which converts the ultrasonic waves into electrical signals that can be analyzed.

What factors can affect the analysis of ultrasonic waves at a point?

The accuracy of the analysis can be affected by factors such as the distance between the transducer and the point being analyzed, the material properties of the medium the waves are passing through, and the presence of any obstructions or interference in the wave path.

What are some applications of analyzing ultrasonic waves at a point?

Ultrasonic wave analysis has a wide range of applications, including medical imaging, non-destructive testing of materials, and monitoring of structural integrity in buildings and bridges. It is also used in industries such as oil and gas, aerospace, and automotive for quality control and fault detection.

How is the data from analyzing ultrasonic waves at a point interpreted?

The data collected from analyzing ultrasonic waves at a point is interpreted by analyzing the amplitude, frequency, and time of flight of the waves. This can provide information about the internal structure, density, and defects of a material, as well as the presence of any anomalies or changes in the environment.