Analytical bending of a deformed beam

In summary: This plot from your earlier post is representative of the magnitude of deflections that you are getting ? If so the centre point deflection is only about 0.3% of the beam length...Yes, that is correct.
saybrook1
Hi guys; I have an analytical solution for the deformation of a beam due to a couple with moments C_1 and C_2 with boundary conditions y=0 and x=±(L/2) where L≡length of the beam. The derivation from the Bernoulli-Euler equation is below:

\begin{align*}
y''=\frac{\epsilon}{2}(C_1+C_2)-\frac{\epsilon}{L}(C_1-C_2)x
\end{align*}
Where ε = 1/E*I, I=Moment of inertia, E=Young's Modulus and L= beam length.
\begin{align}
y'=\frac{\epsilon}{2}(C_1+C_2)x-\frac{\epsilon}{2L}(C_1-C_2)x^2+C_3\\
y=\frac{\epsilon}{2}(C_1+C_2)\frac{x^2}{2}-\frac{\epsilon}{2L}(C_1-C_2)\frac{x^3}{3}+C_3x+C_4
\end{align}
For y=0 at x=-L/2;

\begin{align}
0=\frac{\epsilon}{4}(C_1+C_2)(\frac{-L}{2})^2-\frac{\epsilon}{6L}(C_1-C_2)(\frac{-L}{2})^3+C_3(\frac{-L}{2})+C_4\\
C_3=-\frac{\epsilon}{4}(C_1+C_2)(\frac{-L}{2})+\frac{\epsilon}{6L}(C_1-C_2)(\frac{-L}{2})^2+\frac{2C_4}{L}
\end{align}
For y=0 at x=L/2;

\begin{align}
0=\frac{\epsilon}{4}(C_1+C_2)(\frac{L}{2})^2-\frac{\epsilon}{6L}(C_1-C_2)(\frac{L}{2})^3+C_3(\frac{L}{2})+C_4
\end{align}
Plugging in equation (4) yields:

\begin{align}
C_4=-\frac{\epsilon L^2}{16}(C_1+C_2)
\end{align}
And plugging (6) back into (4) yields:

\begin{align}
C_3=\frac{\epsilon L}{24}(C_1-C_2)
\end{align}
With both integration constants determined, we arrive at our expression for vertical displacement:

\begin{align}
y=\frac{\epsilon}{4}(C_1+C_2)(x^2-\frac{L^2}{4})+\frac{\epsilon}{6}(C_1-C_2)(\frac{Lx}{4}-\frac{x^3}{L})
\end{align}This expression let's me come up with the displacement for an undeformed beam given certain values of C_1 and C_2. I was hoping that someone may be able to help me figure out a way in which I could take the displacement data(set of y-values) of a deformed beam and apply certain values of C_1 and C_2 in order to create a new displacement profile(new y-values). Any help or a point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and please let me know if you need any more information.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm still trying to fathom what you were asking about in your previous thread .

Why don't you just tell us in simple words and pictures what you are trying to do overall in this project ?

Last edited:
Nidum said:
I'm still trying to fathom what you were asking about in your previous thread .

Why don't you just tell us in simple words and pictures what you are trying to do overall in this project ?

Okay, I'll try my best - I've got an FEA model where I apply a heat load to a beam and simulate the thermal expansion. After that, I apply a couple and bend the beam back in another step of the simulation. Often times I will plot the displacement of the top center line of the beam after heat deformation and after subsequent bending.

Right now, I can get the model to agree pretty well with an analytical solution - Ideally, I would like to be able to take this top center line of displacement data after heat deformation - and then use that data to analytically apply the couple(with moments C_1 and C_2) and then match this precisely with my FEA models.

Right now - I add the heat displacement data to the "bending" displacement values that I get from the above equation. This matches decently with the FEA but not perfectly because the above equation is bending an undeformed beam whereas the model takes the deformed beam and then bends it.

Please let me know if you have any more questions and thanks for the follow-up.

In an old paper, I used the virtual work/flexibility method to calculate the deformation and forces (Eqs. (15)-(32)) in statically indeterminate offset beams undergoing thermal expansion under a constraint. I haven't used the method since then, but it seemed powerful and might be of interest. It seems like the main challenge would be in adapting to the unique curved profile of your deformed beam.

Mapes said:
In an old paper, I used the virtual work/flexibility method to calculate the deformation and forces (Eqs. (15)-(32)) in statically indeterminate offset beams undergoing thermal expansion under a constraint. I haven't used the method since then, but it seemed powerful and might be of interest. It seems like the main challenge would be in adapting to the unique curved profile of your deformed beam.
That would absolutely be the main challenge - I have been scanning for papers like this; Thank you very much! - I'll let you know what happens; as it stands, the method I'm using now is functional but I would definitely like to add this extra degree of accuracy.

Ok . That is a lot clearer now .

capture-png.112181.png

This plot from your earlier post is representative of the magnitude of deflections that you are getting ? If so the centre point deflection is only about 0.3% of the beam length ?

1. What is analytical bending of a deformed beam?

Analytical bending of a deformed beam is a method used to analyze the behavior of a beam that has been subjected to external forces, causing it to bend and deform. It involves using mathematical equations and principles to determine the internal stresses and displacements within the beam.

2. How is analytical bending different from other methods of analyzing beams?

Analytical bending is different from other methods, such as numerical or experimental methods, because it relies solely on mathematical equations and does not require physical testing or approximations. It is also able to provide precise and accurate results for simple beam configurations.

3. What are the assumptions made in analytical bending of a deformed beam?

The assumptions made in analytical bending include: the beam is made of a linearly elastic material, the beam is initially straight and remains in the same plane after deformation, the cross-section of the beam remains constant, and the external forces are applied in the same plane as the beam.

4. What are the applications of analytical bending of a deformed beam?

Analytical bending is commonly used in structural engineering to design and analyze beams in various structures, such as buildings, bridges, and vehicles. It is also used in the design of various mechanical and industrial systems, such as crane arms and conveyor belts.

5. Are there any limitations to analytical bending of a deformed beam?

While analytical bending is a useful tool for simple beam configurations, it has its limitations. It is not suitable for analyzing complex beam geometries or beams made of non-linearly elastic materials. It also does not account for factors such as shear and torsion, which may affect the behavior of the beam in real-world applications.