Proofing Big-O Notation: O(max(f(n), g(n)))

In summary, the proof shows that if ##h(n) = O(f(n))## and ##i(n) = O(g(n))##, then ##h(n)+i(n) = O(max(f(n),g(n)))##, with the existence of ##C_3## and ##n_3## shown by finding an upper bound for the sum of ##f(n)## and ##g(n)##.
Iyan Makusa
Homework Statement
Prove the following statement:
Relevant Equations
##O(f(n)) + O(g(n)) = O(max(f(n), g(n)))##
So I know the formal definition of Big-O, which states that ##f(n) = O(g(n))## if and only if there exists ##{C > 0, n_0 > 0}## such that ##|f(n)|\leq{C}{g(n)}~\forall{n>n_0}##.

Here's what I think the proof should go (please bear with me, I have no idea what I'm doing):

Suppose there exists a ##{C_1}## and ##C_2## such that ##|h(n)| \leq C_1f(n), |i(n)| \leq C_2g(n)##:
\begin{align}
|h(n)| + |i(n)| \leq C_1f(n) + C_2g(n) = O(f(n)) + O(g(n)) = O(max(f(n), g(n)))
\end{align}
Suppose that ##f(n) > g(n)## and that there exists ##C_3## such that ##|j(n)| \leq C_3f(n)##:
\begin{align}
|h(n)| + |i(n)| \leq C_1f(n) + C_2g(n) &= |j(n)| \leq C_3f(n) \\
C_1f(n) + C_2g(n) &\leq C_3f(n) \\
C_2g(n) &\leq C_3f(n) - C_1f(n) \\
C_2g(n) &\leq f(n)(C_3 - C_1) \\
\frac{g(n)}{f(n)} &\leq \frac{C_3 - C_1}{C_2}
\end{align}
Since ##f(n) > g(n)##:
\begin{align}
\frac{g(n)}{f(n)} < 1 &\leq \frac{C_3 - C_1}{C_2} \\
C_2 &\leq C_3 - C_1
\end{align}
Now that we have values for ##C_1, C_2## and ##C_3##, then ##O(f(n)) + O(g(n)) = O(max(f(n), g(n)))## should hold. ##\blacksquare##

I didn't feel like I did the proof correctly, or at all. Or if I did, there's probably a better way to do this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are close. I would suggest that the first thing you should do is write out a mathematical statement of what you want to prove. You have written that
Iyan Makusa said:
##f(n) = O(g(n))## if and only if there exists ##{C > 0, n_0 > 0}## such that ##|f(n)|\leq{C}{g(n)}~\forall{n>n_0}##.
Can you make a similar statement for ##h(n)+i(n)=O(max(f(n), g(n)))##, where ##h(n)=O(f(n))## and ##i(n)=O(g(n))##?

The way to make a clear proof of something like this is to create a string of ##\le## inequalities with ##|h(n) + i(n)|## at one end and ##C_3max\{f(n),g(n)\}## at the other that hold for all ##n>n_3##. Each expression in the string is an upper bound on the previous one. You can figure out ##n_3## and ##C_3## as you go along.

I think you start to go off the track here:
Iyan Makusa said:
$$C_1f(n) + C_2g(n) = |j(n)|$$
Since ##f(n)\le max\{f(n),g(n)\}## and ##g(n)\le max\{f(n),g(n)\}##, you can make an inequality with ##C_1f(n) + C_2g(n)## on one side and ##max\{f(n),g(n)\}## on the other.

Don't forget the "if and only if" in your definition. You are working on the "if" part of the proof. You also need to show the the converse to complete the proof. Although it seems to me that the converse may not be true given your definition of ##f(n) = O(g(n))##.

Last edited:
Likes Iyan Makusa
tnich said:
Can you make a similar statement for ##h(n)+i(n)=O(max(f(n), g(n)))##, where ##h(n)=O(f(n))## and ##i(n)=O(g(n))##?

##h(n) + i(n) = O(max(f(n),g(n)))## if and only if there exists ##C_3 > 0, n_3 > 0## such that ##|h(n) + i(n)| \leq C_3max(f(n), g(n))~\forall{n>n_3}##

tnich said:
The way to make a clear proof of something like this is to create a string of ##\le## inequalities with ##|h(n) + i(n)|## at one end and ##C_3max\{f(n),g(n)\}## at the other that hold for all ##n>n_3##. Each expression in the string is an upper bound on the previous one. You can figure out ##n_3## and ##C_3## as you go along.

I think I can start with that.
\begin{align}
|h(n) + i(n)| &\leq C_3max(f(n),g(n))\\
|h(n) + i(n)| &\leq C_1f(n) + C_2g(n)\\
&\leq max(C_1, C_2)(f(n) + g(n))\\
&\leq C_4max(C_1, C_2)max(f(n), g(n))
\end{align}
where ##C_4max(C_1, C_2) = C_3, n > n_3##. I forgot early on the proof that ##n_3## would be ##max(n_1, n_2)## where ##h(n), n > n_1; i(n), n > n_2##. So whichever function is the "farther" one would be compared to by ##n##.

Since we have found values for ##C_3, n_3## then the proof holds? ##\blacksquare{?}##

I'm still not sure about this. I got more help from a slide I found.

Iyan Makusa said:
##h(n) + i(n) = O(max(f(n),g(n)))## if and only if there exists ##C_3 > 0, n_3 > 0## such that ##|h(n) + i(n)| \leq C_3max(f(n), g(n))~\forall{n>n_3}##
I think I can start with that.
\begin{align}
|h(n) + i(n)| &\leq C_3max(f(n),g(n))\\
|h(n) + i(n)| &\leq C_1f(n) + C_2g(n)\\
&\leq max(C_1, C_2)(f(n) + g(n))\\
&\leq C_4max(C_1, C_2)max(f(n), g(n))
\end{align}
where ##C_4max(C_1, C_2) = C_3, n > n_3##. I forgot early on the proof that ##n_3## would be ##max(n_1, n_2)## where ##h(n), n > n_1; i(n), n > n_2##. So whichever function is the "farther" one would be compared to by ##n##.

Since we have found values for ##C_3, n_3## then the proof holds? ##\blacksquare{?}##

I'm still not sure about this. I got more help from a slide I found.
That is good, except that you need to show that ##C_4## exists. That is pretty easy, though. If ##f(n) \le max\{f(n),g(n)\}## and ##g(n) \le max\{f(n),g(n)\}##, then for what value of ##C_4## is ##f(n)+g(n) \le C_4max\{f(n),g(n)\}##?

Also, you ought to include the step ##|h(n)+i(n)| \le |h(n)|+|i(n)|##.

Likes Iyan Makusa
tnich said:
That is good, except that you need to show that ##C_4## exists. That is pretty easy, though. If ##f(n) \le max\{f(n),g(n)\}## and ##g(n) \le max\{f(n),g(n)\}##, then for what value of ##C_4## is ##f(n)+g(n) \le C_4max\{f(n),g(n)\}##?

Since ##f(n) \le max\{f(n),g(n)\}## and ##g(n) \le max\{f(n),g(n)\}##, then:
\begin{align}
f(n) + g(n) &\leq max{f(n), g(n)} + max{f(n),g(n)} \\
&= 2max\{f(n),g(n)\} \leq2max\{f(n),g(n)\}\leq C_4max\{f(n),g(n)\}\\
2 &\leq C_4
\end{align}

But I'm still confused. The entire chain of inequalities (lines 10-12) doesn't contain ##f(n) + g(n)##, how does this fit in the proof?

1. What is Big-O notation and why is it important in computer science?

Big-O notation is a mathematical notation used to describe the asymptotic behavior of a function. In computer science, it is commonly used to analyze the time complexity of algorithms and to compare the efficiency of different algorithms. It is important because it helps us understand how an algorithm will perform as the input size increases and allows us to make informed decisions about which algorithm to use.

2. What does O(max(f(n), g(n))) mean in terms of time complexity?

O(max(f(n), g(n))) means that the time complexity of an algorithm is determined by the maximum time complexity of either f(n) or g(n). In other words, the algorithm will have a time complexity of at least as much as the function with the higher time complexity.

3. How do you prove that an algorithm has a time complexity of O(max(f(n), g(n)))?

To prove that an algorithm has a time complexity of O(max(f(n), g(n))), you need to show that the algorithm's time complexity is at most the maximum time complexity of either f(n) or g(n). This can be done by analyzing the algorithm's code and its running time for different input sizes.

4. Can an algorithm have a time complexity of O(max(f(n), g(n))) if f(n) and g(n) have different time complexities?

Yes, an algorithm can have a time complexity of O(max(f(n), g(n))) even if f(n) and g(n) have different time complexities. This is because the algorithm's time complexity is determined by the maximum of the two functions, so it may have a time complexity that is higher than one function but lower than the other.

5. How does O(max(f(n), g(n))) differ from O(f(n) + g(n))?

The notation O(max(f(n), g(n))) means that the time complexity of the algorithm is at least as much as the maximum of f(n) and g(n). On the other hand, O(f(n) + g(n)) means that the time complexity of the algorithm is at most the sum of f(n) and g(n). In other words, O(max(f(n), g(n))) gives a tighter bound on the time complexity compared to O(f(n) + g(n)).