Analytical Thinkers: How to be Spontaneous & Romantic

In summary, this guy is trying to figure out how to approach this girl that he has liked for a long time and is afraid of getting hurt again. He has written a masterpiece card and is waiting for a followup letter.
Rx7man
I know I can't speak for everyone here, but I would presume that most people in the sciences have either naturally or through schooling become analytical thinkers. Especially for the ones that are naturally analytical, have you found difficulty in being spontaneous, romantic, artistic, or any other attribute that's typically related to "heart" rather than "mind".. Do you have any advice for others? (ME??). Especially for mild introverts!

Physics news on Phys.org
It is easy to get caught up in analyzing details. Sometimes you need to get a good cup of coffee and kick back and count the victories and/or what you have already figured out, rather than to be spinning the wheels on things that are very difficult to figure out. In addition, oftentimes it is the very simplest things that can provide the most pleasure=just tossing a ball up in the air and catching it can be fun, without adding all of the details like g=32 ft/sec^2. Being analytical can be a good thing, but it is sometimes good to be able to put it aside.

Likes Rx7man
Oh I have no problem ENJOYING simple things.. I have a herd of cattle and while I analyse the genetics, etc a lot, there's nothing better than being around them when they chew cud.
I'm talking more about acting on things where logic doesn't apply very well!.. Writing something with feeling so it doesn't sound mechanical for example

This is pretty easy to enjoy..

20170801_111044s.jpg

Attachments

• 20170801_111044s.jpg
    20170801_111044s.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 724
Likes Charles Link and berkeman
Rx7man said:
Oh I have no problem ENJOYING simple things.. I have a herd of cattle and while I analyse the genetics, etc a lot, there's nothing better than being around them when they chew cud.
I'm talking more about acting on things where logic doesn't apply very well!.. Writing something with feeling so it doesn't sound mechanical for example
In many cases, that kind of thing involves taking risks. With analyzing things, it is often very safe territory we are working with, because we can so often predict the outcome if we do a careful analysis. In the case of doing a performance or something out of the ordinary, the audience may like it or they may not...

Charles Link said:
In many cases, that kind of thing involves taking risks. With analyzing things, it is often very safe territory we are working with, because we can so often predict the outcome if we do a careful analysis. In the case of doing a performance or something out of the ordinary, the audience may like it or they may not...
That is precisely my problem!

I'm going to have to try and make a very long story short.. Met a girl 15 years ago, always liked her, she's been in one abusive relationship after another, last one ending 3 weeks ago, I wrote a masterpiece (in my opinion) of a christmas card where I actually opened up and put myself at greater risk than I ever have... With all the negative events in her life recently, I think it was a little overwhelming, and perhaps unexpected.. So I'm playing a waiting game which is driving my analytical mind bananas.. Also working on a followup letter which I'll hold off for a month or two on.

Likes Charles Link

1. What is an analytical thinker?

An analytical thinker is someone who approaches problems and situations in a logical and structured manner. They tend to break down complex ideas into smaller parts and analyze each aspect before making a decision or forming an opinion. They also rely heavily on data and evidence to support their reasoning.

2. Can analytical thinkers be spontaneous and romantic?

Yes, analytical thinkers can definitely be spontaneous and romantic. While they may have a tendency to overthink and plan, they also have the ability to let go and be in the moment. They may approach romance and spontaneity differently than others, but they can still be just as romantic and spontaneous.

3. How can analytical thinkers be more spontaneous?

One way for analytical thinkers to be more spontaneous is to practice letting go of their need for control and planning. They can try new activities or experiences without overthinking and just enjoy the moment. They can also try to be more open to new ideas and opportunities that come their way.

4. Can analytical thinkers learn to be more romantic?

Absolutely. While analytical thinkers may not naturally gravitate towards romantic gestures and expressions of love, they can learn to be more romantic by understanding and appreciating their partner's needs and desires. They can also try to incorporate more spontaneity and creativity into their romantic gestures.

5. Are there any downsides to being an analytical thinker?

As with any type of thinking, there are both advantages and disadvantages to being an analytical thinker. Some potential downsides include overthinking and over-analyzing, which can lead to indecisiveness and missing out on opportunities. Additionally, analytical thinkers may struggle with expressing emotions and connecting with others on an emotional level.