Analyze the movement after displacing the mass xo horizontally

In summary: Thanks for your help. What I'd do is determine the potential energy (U) stored in the springs for any value of q (using Hooke's Law), and then use the fact that the force F = -dU/dq. From this you can determine the acceleration in terms of the position q and hence form a simple 2nd order DE to solve for the equation of the motion of the mass.Assuming that that is a plan view and that all the displacements are in one horizontal plane, the simplest approximate differential equation I could come up with to describe the motion was :\ddot{x} = - \frac{k}{ml^2}(x^3)which I don't
Feynmanfan
Dear friends,

I need some help with this problem. As you can see in the picture we have this mass attached to two springs of proper length l and I'm asked to analyze the movement after displacing the mass xo horizontally (being xo very small).

I don't want you to solve the problem for me. Just give me a hint how I should begin. I know the oscillator is anharmonic and I believe the best thing to do is analyze its potential and draw the phase plane. But I don't know how to do that.

Thanks for your help

Attachments

• problem.bmp
    6.8 KB · Views: 487
Physics news on Phys.org
What I'd do is determine the potential energy (U) stored in the springs for any value of q (using Hooke's Law), and then use the fact that the force F = -dU/dq. From this you can determine the acceleration in terms of the position q and hence form a simple 2nd order DE to solve for the equation of the motion of the mass.

Feynmanfan said:
As you can see in the picture we have this mass attached to two springs of proper length l and I'm asked to analyze the movement after displacing the mass xo horizontally (being xo very small).
Are you sure xo is a horizontal displacement? If so, wouldn't we have to know the distance q when the mass displaced horizontally?

AM

Andrew Mason said:
Are you sure xo is a horizontal displacement? If so, wouldn't we have to know the distance q when the mass displaced horizontally?

AM

Perhaps it's a plan view ? Anyway, the problem would be even more complicated if we had to consider gravity.

Assuming that that is a plan view and that all the displacements are in one horizontal plane, the simplest approximate differential equation I could come up with to describe the motion was :

[tex]\ddot{x} = - \frac{k}{ml^2}(x^3)[/tex]

which I don't know how to solve. It certainly isn't simple harmonic motion.

The exact d.e. is a lot more complicated and almost certainly unsolvable exactly.

k, BTW, is the spring constant of one of the identical springs.

Last edited:
But if q is indeed a vertical displacement and x is a horizontal one, then it becomes an oscillation in two planes. I think that one would call for solution with a Lagrangian. It's been a long time since I did anything like that, and it isn't elementary.

Curious3141 said:
Assuming that that is a plan view and that all the displacements are in one horizontal plane, the simplest approximate differential equation I could come up with to describe the motion was :

[tex]\ddot{x} = - \frac{k}{ml^2}(x^3)[/tex]

which I don't know how to solve.
Right. I get the same equation:

The restoring force is:

(1)[tex]F = -2k dL sin(\theta) \approx -2kdL(x/L)[/tex]

Since:

[tex]L^2 + x^2 = (L + dl)^2 = L^2 + 2Ldl + dl^2[/tex]

ignoring the dl^2 term for small x,

[tex]dl = x^2/2L[/tex]

substituting in (1),

[tex]F = -2k(x^2/2L)(x/L) = -kx^3/L^2 = m\ddot x[/tex]

Perhaps someone with access to Maple or Mathematica will be able to tackle this. I found this general solution to third order differential equations.

http://virtual.cvut.cz/dyn/examples/examples/equations/eqs7/

AM

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Analyze the movement after displacing the mass xo horizontally

What does it mean to displace the mass xo horizontally?

Displacing the mass xo horizontally refers to moving an object in a straight line along the x-axis, without changing its position on the y-axis or z-axis.

Why is it important to analyze the movement after displacing the mass xo horizontally?

Analyzing the movement after displacing the mass xo horizontally allows us to understand the effects of this displacement on the object's motion and to make predictions about its future movement.

What factors affect the movement of an object after displacing the mass xo horizontally?

The movement of an object after displacing the mass xo horizontally can be affected by factors such as the initial velocity, the mass of the object, and any external forces acting on it.

How can we calculate the displacement of an object after displacing the mass xo horizontally?

The displacement of an object after displacing the mass xo horizontally can be calculated using the formula d = xo + v0t + 1/2at^2, where d is the displacement, xo is the initial position, v0 is the initial velocity, t is the time, and a is the acceleration.

What are some real-life applications of analyzing the movement after displacing the mass xo horizontally?

Analyzing the movement after displacing the mass xo horizontally has many practical applications, such as predicting the trajectory of a projectile, understanding the motion of vehicles, and designing roller coasters and other amusement park rides.