Analyzing a 500V DC Machine for Vehicle Motion

Your Name]In summary, the conversation discusses the analytical techniques and equations used to determine the expected values for a 500 V, 50 HP DC machine connected to a single quadrant converter. The relevant forces, such as friction and air resistance, are also considered in the calculations. The gear ratio is found to be 0.0316 and it is suggested to also take into account the impact of friction and air resistance on the armature current and voltage. The use of torque balance (Te-Tl) can help determine the gear ratio needed to achieve the desired steady state velocity. Overall, the analytical techniques and equations presented are a good starting point for understanding the machine's performance.
ewoeckel

Homework Statement

Considering a 500 V, 50 HP DC machine with the following parameters,
Kv=1.8 Vs/rad, tau=50 mS and ra=0.07 ohms; Bm=0
p=1.2 kg/m^3, A=2.3 m^2, Cd=0.370, Crr=0.0106, Wveh=1000 kg, g=9.8 m/S^2

Assuming the machine is connect to a single quadrant converter with a switching frequency of 5 kHz, k=0.5 and the source voltage is 500 V. Use analytical techniques to first establish expected values for steady state vechile velocity, the armature current wave form and the armature voltage.

Homework Equations

Fd=(1/2)*Cd*p*Wr^2*A
Fr=Crr*Wveh*g
Va=ra*ia + Laa*dia/dt + kv*Wr
Te=kt*ia
Te-Tl=J*dWr/dt + Bm*Wr
tau=Laa/ra

The Attempt at a Solution

After deriving the above equations to find the relevant forces, and solving for the relative current wave forms, I know that Te must equal Tl for the steady state velocity. So setting up a vector where Wr goes from 0:1:100 should find all necessary force values which I would need. Then I know that after isolating the two current waves forms for the machines, I find that the max current which the machine can hold is I2 and the min current will be I1 (given below)

I1=(Vs/ra) * (exp(-T/tau)*(exp(k*T/tau)-1))/(1-exp(-T/tau)) - (kv*Wr/ra)
I2=(Vs/ra) * (1-exp(-k*T/tau))/(1-exp(-T/tau)) - (kv*Wr/ra)

Finally, after work not shown, I know that the gear ratio in the motor and wheels relates directly to the rotational speed of the motor at 2000 rpm when the vehicle speed is 26.8 m/s, I know that the gear ratio is 0.0316 (assuming the circumference for the wheel is simply 1 because it was not given).

I do not know how to relate the forces calculated with the gear ratio and was hoping to insure that my current equations were correct.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post and for sharing your work. Your equations and approach seem to be correct. To relate the forces calculated to the gear ratio, you can use the equation for torque balance (Te-Tl) and solve for the gear ratio (i.e. Wr = (Te-Tl)/Bm). This will give you the gear ratio needed to achieve the desired steady state velocity. Additionally, you may also want to consider the effect of friction and air resistance on the vehicle's motion and how those forces may impact the armature current and voltage. Overall, your analytical techniques and equations are a good starting point for understanding the expected values for the vehicle's motion and the machine's performance. Keep up the good work and continue to refine your calculations. Good luck with your research!

1. What is a 500V DC machine?

A 500V DC machine is an electrical device that converts direct current (DC) electricity into mechanical energy. It typically consists of a rotor, stator, and commutator, and is commonly used in vehicles to power motion.

2. How does a 500V DC machine work?

A 500V DC machine works by applying a voltage of 500V to the rotor, which creates a magnetic field. This magnetic field interacts with the magnetic field of the stator, causing the rotor to rotate. The commutator then switches the direction of the current, ensuring continuous rotation.

3. What factors are important to consider when analyzing a 500V DC machine for vehicle motion?

Some important factors to consider when analyzing a 500V DC machine for vehicle motion include the efficiency of the machine, the power it can provide, and its torque-speed characteristics. It is also important to consider the type and quality of the materials used in the machine's construction.

4. How is a 500V DC machine tested for performance?

A 500V DC machine can be tested for performance through various methods, including load testing, speed testing, and efficiency testing. These tests involve measuring the machine's output power, speed, and efficiency under different operating conditions, and comparing the results to its theoretical performance.

5. What are the potential applications of a 500V DC machine for vehicle motion?

A 500V DC machine can be used in a variety of vehicles, including electric cars, trains, and ships, to provide motion and power. It can also be used in industrial machinery, such as cranes and elevators, and in renewable energy systems, such as wind turbines and hydroelectric generators.