Analyzing Current in a Branch: Using KCL and KVL

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the current through a 5Ω resistor and understanding the meaning of "leftmost 1A". It is determined that the leftmost 1A represents a current source and the correct current through the resistor is i = 0. The person discussing the problem used KCL and KVL to arrive at the solution.
Jahnavi

Homework Statement

current.jpg

Q . Find current i through the 5Ω resistor ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I would like to understand what does leftmost 1A represent . I haven't seen something like that before in my book . Is it a Galvanometer or something else ?

Attachments

• current.jpg
    current.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 727
Physics news on Phys.org
Jahnavi said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 222760
Q . Find current i through the 5Ω resistor ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I would like to understand what does leftmost 1A represent . I haven't seen something like that before in my book . Is it a Galvanometer or something else ?
It is a current source.

Likes Jahnavi
gneill said:
It is a current source.

OK .

I am getting option d) i = 0 . Is that correct ?

Jahnavi said:
OK .

You'll have to show the details of your work. We won't just confirm or deny what could potentially be a guess :smile:

Jahnavi said:
OK .

That is correct.

Btw, you can check it yourself using node voltage method and KCL.

Likes Jahnavi
cnh1995 said:
you can check it yourself using node voltage method and KCL.

I did use KCL and KVL to arrive at the result .Using the current source and KCL , I assigned current in all the resistors . Then I wrote 2 KVL eqns. for the upper and bottom right loop .

Thanks a lot :smile:

Jahnavi said:
I did use KCL and KVL to arrive at the result .Using the current source and KCL , I assigned current in all the resistors . Then I wrote 2 KVL eqns.

Thanks a lot :smile:
Well done!
I myself prefer the node voltage method to avoid any silly mistakes while writing KVL.

Likes Jahnavi

1. What is current through a branch?

Current through a branch refers to the flow of electric charge through a specific path in a circuit. It is measured in amperes (A).

2. How is current through a branch calculated?

According to Ohm's Law, current through a branch can be calculated by dividing the voltage (V) by the resistance (R) in the branch. This can be represented by the formula I = V/R.

3. What factors affect the current through a branch?

The current through a branch is affected by the voltage applied, the resistance in the branch, and the properties of the material the current is flowing through. Temperature and length of the branch can also impact the current.

4. Can current flow in both directions through a branch?

Yes, current can flow in both directions through a branch. The direction of the current is determined by the polarity of the voltage applied to the branch.

5. How does current through a branch impact the overall circuit?

The current through a branch affects the overall circuit by determining the power consumption and the distribution of voltage and current throughout the circuit. It also determines the amount of heat generated in the circuit, which can impact the performance and safety of the circuit.