Analyzing Forces on a Car Attached to a Wall with a Rope

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving a rope attached to a wall and a car. The car starts to move when the rope makes an angle of 5 degrees with the floor. The equations ΣFx=ma and ΣFy=ma are mentioned, as well as the forces acting on the car and the rope. It is also noted that the problem lacks a lower limit for the force needed due to the absence of friction. However, this fact is questioned as it seems nonsensical.
John_tawil

Homework Statement

A rope is attached to a wall on one end and to a car on the other end. Someone pushes up on the rope and the car starts to move when the rope makes an angle of 5o with the floor. Mcar=2500kg
25z3sas.jpg

Homework Equations

ΣFx=ma
ΣFy=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Look at the car and the rope separately.

I'm assuming the car has;
ΣFx=ma
ΣFy= 0
and the rope has the opposite;
ΣFx= 0
ΣFy= ma

But I'm not getting anywhere? Am I doing it right?

Physics news on Phys.org
You seems to be mixing up your x and y directions. (And so was i, because I was trying to read the printing laying on its side.:smile:)
The only force on the car that's accelerating it is horizontal. The trig will tell you what it is at 5o.
But I don't see how there would be any lower limit to the force needed if there is no friction.

John_tawil said:
But I'm not getting anywhere? Am I doing it right?
Nothing is accelerating here. (Not yet, anyway.)

Start by identifying the forces acting on the truck.

sophiecentaur said:
But I don't see how there would be any lower limit to the force needed if there is no friction.
Oops... I didn't notice that it said no friction. (Missed that when trying to read sideways.)

I don't get the point of the problem. With no friction, you need not be a muscleman to move the truck. A fly could do it.

Likes billy_joule
Doc Al said:
Oops... I didn't notice that it said no friction. (Missed that when trying to read sideways.)

I don't get the point of the problem. With no friction, you need not be a muscleman to move the truck. A fly could do it.
A touch of the "badly written questions' disease, I think.

So would you need 1N of force up to push to the left?

John_tawil said:
So would you need 1N of force up to push to the left?
If there's no friction, 1microNewton would produce finite acceleration. The question appears to be flawed - or it's angled to make you spot the nonsense aspect of it.

sophiecentaur said:
A touch of the "badly written questions' disease, I think.
Indeed. ?:)

1. How does the rope attached to a wall and car work?

The rope is attached to both the wall and car by being secured to a fixed point on the wall and tied to a sturdy part of the car, such as the bumper or frame. As the car moves forward, the rope creates tension between the two points, allowing the car to pull the wall along with it.

2. What is the purpose of attaching a rope to a wall and car?

The purpose of attaching a rope to a wall and car is to create a pulling force on the wall, allowing the car to move the wall in a desired direction. This can be useful in situations where the car needs to move an obstacle, such as a fallen tree or heavy object.

3. How strong does the rope need to be when attaching it to a wall and car?

The strength of the rope will depend on the weight of the wall and the force needed to move it. It is important to use a sturdy rope that can handle the tension and weight without breaking. It is recommended to use a rope with a weight capacity of at least 3 times the weight of the wall.

4. Can any type of car be used to pull a wall with a rope?

Any car with a sturdy frame and bumper can be used to pull a wall with a rope. However, it is important to consider the weight of the wall and the pulling force needed. A larger, more powerful car may be better suited for heavier walls.

5. Is attaching a rope to a wall and car safe?

When done correctly, attaching a rope to a wall and car can be safe. It is important to make sure the rope is securely attached to both the wall and car, and to use proper safety precautions when pulling the wall. It is also recommended to have someone supervise the process to ensure safety.