Android: Delivered & Read Messages

• Thread starter kyphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Android
In summary, the person texted someone named Dave and noticed that their messages had a "Read" tag next to them. However, after a heated exchange, their messages only had a "Delivered" tag and the person is wondering if Dave may have blocked them or not read their messages on purpose. They also suggest that the "Read" tag may not always show up even if the message has been read.
kyphysics
Might this be someone who either blocked me or didn't read my latest message on Android phone?

I texted a person we'll call Dave (not his real name). There is a "Read" tag next to these messages with a time-stamp. Pretty nifty of Android to let me know when it was read.

However, we had a contentious exchange via text and I asked him tough questions (that he is dodging I am guessing) and he never responded (for several days). Those texts have a "Delivered" tag, but not the "Read" tag as with the earlier ones (pre-argument).

For those familiar with this phone OS, what could this mean? My guesses were:
a.) He got the texts, but didn't click on them (possibly seeing in the preview something he didn't want to talk about).
b.) He blocked me.
c.) He got the texts, read them, but just doesn't want to respond.

c.) seems unlikely, given other texts have said "Read". . .Does the "Read" tag ever just randomly not show even if someone read your text?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I have no idea about android, but in windows outlook when a sender includes a "tell me when read" request, outlook asks you whether you want the sender to see if the email has been read and you can say no.

Last edited:
Likes kyphysics and berkeman

What is "Android: Delivered & Read Messages"?

"Android: Delivered & Read Messages" is a feature on Android devices that allows users to see when their text messages have been successfully delivered to the recipient's device and when they have been read by the recipient.

How does "Android: Delivered & Read Messages" work?

When a text message is sent, the sender's device sends a delivery report to the network. The network then delivers the message to the recipient's device and sends a delivery report back to the sender's device. Once the recipient's device has received the message, it sends a read report back to the network, which is then sent to the sender's device.

Can I turn off the "Android: Delivered & Read Messages" feature?

Yes, you can turn off this feature on your Android device. Simply go to your device's messaging settings and look for the option to turn off delivery and read reports. Keep in mind that if you turn off this feature, you will not be able to see when your messages have been delivered and read by the recipient.

Do both parties need to have an Android device for this feature to work?

Yes, both the sender and the recipient need to have an Android device for this feature to work. If the recipient does not have an Android device, the sender will not receive delivery and read reports.

Are there any privacy concerns with "Android: Delivered & Read Messages"?

Some users may have privacy concerns with this feature, as it allows the sender to see when the recipient has read their message. However, this feature can be turned off if desired. Additionally, this feature only works for text messages and not other forms of messaging, such as Facebook Messenger or WhatsApp.