Angle of Deflection of Laser Given Tilted Mirror

In summary: Uh, I see. This makes sense -- the reflected angle = β + γ. Given that θ = β = γ, the deflected angle = 2β = 2θ.
Kumo
Hi Everyone,

A question in my latest Physics I lab wishes for a proof showing that if a laser beam is incident on a mirror that is then rotated an angle θ the beam is deflected an angle 2θ.

I attempted to prove this geometrically below. In the diagram the angle γ, is the angle of deflection, and β is the incident angle. I was able to show that if the mirror was rotated θ degrees to the vertical, that β = θ. However,I haven't been able to show that γ = 2θ from the below diagram, as I am unable to determine the top right/bottom left angles of the parallelogram, or any additional angles of the triangles that exist in side of it.

Any assistance or guidance would be very much appreciated.

1. Homework Statement

If a laser beam is incident on a mirror, and the mirror is rotated θ degrees, prove that the angle by which the beam is deflected is equal to 2θ.

Homework Equations

[/B]
- Elementary geometric equations (e.g. sum of the interior angles of a triangle, properties of a parallelogram)

The Attempt at a Solution

YWlu2hN.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Kumo said:
Hi Everyone,

A question in my latest Physics I lab wishes for a proof showing that if a laser beam is incident on a mirror that is then rotated an angle θ the beam is deflected an angle 2θ.

I attempted to prove this geometrically below. In the diagram the angle γ, is the angle of deflection, and β is the incident angle. I was able to show that if the mirror was rotated θ degrees to the vertical, that β = θ. However,I haven't been able to show that γ = 2θ from the below diagram, as I am unable to determine the top right/bottom left angles of the parallelogram, or any additional angles of the triangles that exist in side of it.

Any assistance or guidance would be very much appreciated.

1. Homework Statement

If a laser beam is incident on a mirror, and the mirror is rotated θ degrees, prove that the angle by which the beam is deflected is equal to 2θ.

Homework Equations

[/B]
- Elementary geometric equations (e.g. sum of the interior angles of a triangle, properties of a parallelogram)

The Attempt at a Solution

YWlu2hN.jpg
How are the angles of incidence and reflection related?

SammyS said:
How are the angles of incidence and reflection related?

The angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection.

Kumo said:
The angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection.
Did you use that anywhere?

β = γ

SammyS said:
Did you use that anywhere?

β = γ

I see. That is what I initially thought, but then why is β ≠ θ when geometrically they seem to be equal when accounting for the isosceles triangle at the bottom of the diagram?

Kumo said:
I see. That is what I initially thought, but then why is β ≠ θ when geometrically they seem to be equal when accounting for the isosceles triangle at the bottom of the diagram?
β does equal θ

SammyS said:
β does equal θ

I see. Then given that β = γ = θ ≠ 2θ would that then mean that the angle of deflection is in fact not equal to twice the angle through which the mirror is rotated? Could it be a typo perhaps?

Kumo said:
I see. Then given that β = γ = θ ≠ 2θ would that then mean that the angle of deflection is in fact not equal to twice the angle through which the mirror is rotated? Could it be a typo perhaps?
What are you calling the angle of deflection?

SammyS said:
What are you calling the angle of deflection?
γ

Kumo said:
γ
No.

What is the angle between the incident ray and the reflected ray ?

SammyS said:
No.

What is the angle between the incident ray and the reflected ray ?

Uh, I see. This makes sense -- the reflected angle = β + γ. Given that θ = β = γ, the deflected angle = 2β = 2θ. Thank you very much for your help!

1. What is the angle of deflection of a laser given a tilted mirror?

The angle of deflection of a laser given a tilted mirror is the angle between the incident beam of light and the reflected beam of light. It is determined by the angle of the mirror and the index of refraction of the medium through which the laser is traveling.

2. How is the angle of deflection calculated?

The angle of deflection can be calculated using the law of reflection, which states that the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection. This means that the angle of deflection is equal to twice the angle between the incident beam and the normal of the mirror.

3. What factors affect the angle of deflection?

The angle of deflection can be affected by the angle of the mirror, the wavelength of the laser, and the refractive index of the medium through which the laser is traveling. Additionally, the type of mirror (flat, concave, convex) can also impact the angle of deflection.

4. How does the angle of deflection change as the mirror is tilted?

As the mirror is tilted, the angle of deflection will change. This is because the angle of incidence and the angle of reflection will also change. The greater the tilt of the mirror, the larger the angle of deflection will be.

5. Why is the angle of deflection important in laser technology?

The angle of deflection is important in laser technology because it allows us to control and direct the path of a laser beam. By adjusting the angle of the mirror, we can control the direction and position of the beam, making it useful in applications such as laser printers, barcode scanners, and laser cutting machines.