In summary, Gauss's law is used to find the electric field lines from the positive and negative charges. Lines go outwards evenly in every direction and half of them go to the -q charge. The angle at which they leave is 90 degrees from the horizontal.
Matt Chu

Homework Statement

Two charges 2q and -q are located at x = 0 and x = a respectively. There are field lines extending from the positive charge and lines going inwards to the negative charge. Some of these lines go from the positive charge to the negative, but some go off to infinity from the positive charge. The question asks to find the angle at which the lines go towards infinity. (It also mentions to use a "cleverly chosen Gaussian surface.)

Homework Equations

Gauss's law
∫ E⋅dA = qen0

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to maybe using Gauss's law on the two charges individually, then on both charges together. I'm not sure exactly what a "cleverly chosen Gaussian surface" is, so I don't know exactly how to proceed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Matt Chu said:
Some of these lines go from the positive charge to the negative
How many, as a fraction of total?

haruspex said:
How many, as a fraction of total?
That's a part of the question, I guess. I assume it is related to the distance between the charges, but I'm not sure what the relationship is exactly.

Hello Matt, :welcome:

Does this picture (borrowed from here) give you a hint ?

fig1.gif

Attachments

• fig1.gif
    fig1.gif
    20.3 KB · Views: 1,579
Matt Chu said:
That's a part of the question, I guess. I assume it is related to the distance between the charges, but I'm not sure what the relationship is exactly.
If you use a consistent relationship between field line density and field strength, how does the number of lines emerging from 2q compare with the number arriving at -q?

Let me give another hint: if the problem statement mentions infinity, then perhaps a cleverly chosen Gauss volume is allowed to extend to ininity as well

haruspex said:
If you use a consistent relationship between field line density and field strength, how does the number of lines emerging from 2q compare with the number arriving at -q?
Just from the definition of flux it's obvious that the electric field is twice as strong from the charge twice as strong. Therefore there are twice as many lines emerging from the 2q charge as there are going into the -q charge. But that doesn't necessarily tell me how many lines are going from the positive charge to the negative charge.

Matt Chu said:
But that doesn't necessarily tell me how many lines are going from the positive charge to the negative charge.
Why not?

BvU said:
Let me give another hint: if the problem statement mentions infinity, then perhaps a cleverly chosen Gauss volume is allowed to extend to ininity as well
That's what I thought, to use a large sphere such that the two charges appear like one point charge and comparing that to the electric field found by using Gauss's law on the individual charges, but that doesn't really give me any relevant information.

How many E field lines cross the surface of a gaussian volume that contains zero charge ?

Matt Chu said:
That's what I thought, to use a large sphere such that the two charges appear like one point charge and comparing that to the electric field found by using Gauss's law on the individual charges, but that doesn't really give me any relevant information.
It gives me an answer.
So what fraction of the field lines from 2q go to -q?

haruspex said:
It gives me an answer.
So what fraction of the field lines from 2q go to -q?
It would seem that half of the field lines go from 2q to -q. But the angle at which they leave, can that be assumed to be constant regardless of their distance?

Matt Chu said:
It would seem that half of the field lines go from 2q to -q. But the angle at which they leave, can that be assumed to be constant regardless of their distance?
How will the field lines be arranged extremely close to the 2q charge?

haruspex said:
How will the field lines be arranged extremely close to the 2q charge?
They all extend outwards evenly in every direction.

Matt Chu said:
They all extend outwards evenly in every direction.
Right, and half go to the -q. So... ?

haruspex said:
Right, and half go to the -q. So... ?
The angle is 90 degrees from the horizontal?

Matt Chu said:
The angle is 90 degrees from the horizontal?
Yes.

haruspex said:
Yes.
Huh, that was easy. Lol

Matt Chu said:
Huh, that was easy. Lol
It would have been more interesting with a different ratio.

BvU said:
How many E field lines cross the surface of a gaussian volume that contains zero charge ?
Just for the record: was this a useful hint or just misleading ?

I wonder what the intended 'cleverly chosen gaussian volume' is...

(because the gaussian volume that actually has zero E field lines crossing it has a rather specific shape -- but a plane perpendicular to the line connecting the charges and cutting the 2q in half has a net ##\int \vec E\cdot\vec {dS} = 0\ ##)

1. What is the angle of escaping electric field lines?

The angle of escaping electric field lines refers to the direction in which electric field lines leave a charged object or system. It is measured in degrees and can vary depending on the strength and distribution of the charges.

2. How is the angle of escaping electric field lines determined?

The angle of escaping electric field lines is determined by the direction of the electric field at a given point. This direction is perpendicular to the equipotential lines and always points away from positive charges and towards negative charges.

3. What is the significance of the angle of escaping electric field lines?

The angle of escaping electric field lines is important because it indicates the strength and direction of the electric field in a particular region. It can also help determine the behavior of charged particles in the presence of an electric field.

4. Can the angle of escaping electric field lines be negative?

No, the angle of escaping electric field lines cannot be negative. It is always measured as the acute angle between the electric field line and a tangent line drawn at the point of interest. Therefore, it can range from 0 to 90 degrees.

5. How does the angle of escaping electric field lines relate to electric potential?

The angle of escaping electric field lines is directly related to electric potential. In regions where the electric potential is constant, the angle of escaping electric field lines is 90 degrees. As the potential changes, the angle of escaping electric field lines also changes, becoming smaller as the potential increases and larger as the potential decreases.