How Does Elastic Collision Angle Relate to Mass Ratios?

In summary, the collision angle β is the angle of deflection of the larger mass from its original trajectory. The angle β is 90-2α if the collision is elastic, which is the case for this crude diagram. The maximum deflection occurs when cos(β)=m/M, so the small mass "stops" the incoming component of momentum along line of centres leaving the large mass with only the component perpendicular to line of centres.
TL;DR Summary
Possible condition for maximum deflection during collision
Large mass (M) - moving - collides elastically with stationary small mass (m) as per crude diagram below. Angle θ is formed between the initial path of the large mass and the line of centres during collision. I would like to say that maximum deflection of the large mass occurs when cos(θ)=m/M so that the small mass 'stops' the incoming component of momentum along line of centres leaving the large mass with only the component perpendicular to line of centres. Is this correct thinking ?

Collision.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
neilparker62 said:
so that the small mass 'stops' the incoming component of momentum along line of centres leaving the large mass with only the component perpendicular to line of centres
Why would that be the maximal deflection? How do you define deflection?

A.T. said:
Why would that be the maximal deflection? How do you define deflection?
Diagram below shows post collision trajectories in red. β is the angle of deflection of the larger mass from its original trajectory. Since the angles θ and β are complementary we have sin(β)=m/M and this is a proven result for angle of maximum deflection. See:

https://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/info/exercises/maximum_angle_deflection.html

I am just not sure if the way we are getting there per diagram is valid or just somehow producing the right result with wrong reasoning.

Post collision.png

The way I think about it is as follows. If we do the problem in the ZMF and then transform back into the lab frame, the velocity of the larger mass will be the sum of a vector of magnitude ##\frac{Mv}{M+m}## to the right (the ZMF velocity) and another of magnitude ##v(1-\frac{M}{M+m})## in a direction to be determined (the final velocity in the ZMF).

For maximal deflection, the resultant velocity must be perpendicular to the second vector; this can be seen by drawing a circle of radius ##v(1 - \frac{M}{M+m})## centred on the tip of the first vector, and noting that the resultant velocity is a tangent to this circle. Then we get ##\sin{\beta} = \frac{v(1 - \frac{M}{M+m})}{\frac{Mv}{M+m}} = \frac{m}{M}##.

Likes TSny
etotheipi said:
Then we get ##\sin{\beta} = \frac{v(1 - \frac{M}{M+m})}{\frac{Mv}{M+m}} = \frac{m}{M}##.
So the defection angle β doesn't depend on the collision angle θ? Is the premise that the stationary ball has less mass than the oncoming ball (m < M)?

A.T. said:
So the defection angle β doesn't depend on the collision angle θ? Is the premise that the stationary ball has less mass than the oncoming ball (m < M)?

Yes we must have m<M otherwise deflection angle can be just about anything. Deflection angle does depend on collision angle. For example if it's 0 there will be no deflection at all. My analysis is saying that the collision angle and deflection angle are complementary when you get maximum deflection. But I can't get the Math of energy/momentum conservation to work under that scenario. Which is why I questioned my own premise.

neilparker62 said:
Which is why I questioned my own premise.
This part seems doubtful to me: "the small mass 'stops' the incoming component of momentum along line of centres leaving the large mass with only the component perpendicular to line of centres". I think the total transfer of momentum along the line of force happens only for M=m.

A.T. said:
This part seems doubtful to me: "the small mass 'stops' the incoming component of momentum along line of centres leaving the large mass with only the component perpendicular to line of centres". I think the total transfer of momentum along the line of force happens only for M=m.
Many thanks - I think you have put your finger on the problem which was to view the momentum component along line of centres as ## (Mcosθ)v = mv ## if cosθ = m/M rather than correctly ## M(vcosθ) ##. Velocity is a vector which can have components but mass is a scalar and cannot. It makes no difference to the momentum but of course it does when considering Kinetic energy.

So now that perhaps begs the question - what collision angle does in fact give rise to maximum deflection ?

Not cos(θ)=m/M but cos(2θ)=m/M perhaps ? Differentiated equation 9 in following reference:

https://www.dartmouth.edu/~phys44/lectures/Chap_5.pdf

Let's redraw this setup:

Collision.png

From the above we have established that sin(β)=cos(2α)=m/M. Hence β=90-2α. From these relationships we can establish a refraction type formula:

$$\frac{sin(θ_i)}{sin(θ_r)}=cot(α)=\sqrt{\frac{M+m}{M-m}}$$

Fraction of energy transmitted to stationary mass m: $$\frac{2m}{M+m}$$

Fraction of energy retained by large mass: $$\frac{M-m}{M+m}$$

Interesting similarity of these formulas to those in the transmission/reflection of wave energy from one medium to another!

What is the angle of maximum deflection?

The angle of maximum deflection, also known as the maximum angle of deviation, is the angle at which a beam or structure bends the most under a load or external force.

How is the angle of maximum deflection calculated?

The angle of maximum deflection can be calculated using the equation: θ = (WL^3)/(48EI), where W is the applied load, L is the length of the beam, E is the modulus of elasticity, and I is the moment of inertia of the beam.

What factors affect the angle of maximum deflection?

The angle of maximum deflection is affected by the material properties of the beam, such as its modulus of elasticity, as well as the applied load and the length of the beam. The shape and cross-sectional area of the beam also play a role in determining the angle of maximum deflection.

What is the significance of the angle of maximum deflection in structural design?

The angle of maximum deflection is an important consideration in structural design as it helps determine the strength and stability of a structure under different loads. Engineers use this information to ensure that a structure can safely support its intended load without experiencing excessive deflection.

Can the angle of maximum deflection be controlled or minimized?

Yes, the angle of maximum deflection can be controlled or minimized through proper design and selection of materials. By choosing a stronger or stiffer material, or by adjusting the shape or size of the beam, the angle of maximum deflection can be reduced. Additionally, adding support or reinforcement to the beam can also help minimize deflection.