Maximum Angle of Deflection for Colliding Particles

In summary, the angle of deflection is limited when the mass of the incoming object is greater than the mass of the target object.
TL;DR Summary
Trying to understand physics of maximum deflection
When a heavier mass (or nucleus say) collides with a lighter one, it deflects through a certain angle which has a theoretical maximum. There are numerous derivations for this maximum angle of deflection ##(\sin\theta_{d_{max}}=m/M)## where m is the small mass and M the larger but none seem to provide a clear physical explanation of what is going on. I tried to understand it in terms of energy transfer but got nowhere with that. So my question is what is physically going on when we reach maximum angle of deflection ? Is there something that physically defines when we move from a 'grazing' collision to a 'non grazing' collision ? Here for example is a plot of ##\tan\theta_d## vs ##\theta_i## where the latter angle of incidence is measured from the plane of contact. The mass ratio m/M in this case is 0.6 and so ##\theta_{d_{max}}=36.87^{\circ}## when ##\theta_i=63.42^{\circ}.##

1635184873136.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Below is a diagram that shows why the angle that the incoming body is scattered is always limited when its mass is greater than the target body's mass. The momenta of the two bodies are equal and opposite in the center of mass system but the velocities are not. The incoming mass dominates the velocity of the center of mass. Since the momentum of the incoming body in the center of mass system cannot be greater than 90° going to the lab system the center of mass velocity further increases its velocity reducing the scattering angle.

max scatt angle is limited..png

Thanks. I more or less understand why the angle of deflection is limited but I am trying to understand the exact physical conditions which are met when we reach the maximum angle.

neilparker62 said:
Thanks. I more or less understand why the angle of deflection is limited but I am trying to understand the exact physical conditions which are met when we reach the maximum angle.
Are you looking for some kind of rule like "when a projectile reaches maximum height its gravitational potential energy is maximum"?

Yes. Perhaps I'm missing something really obvious ?!

What is the maximum angle of deflection for colliding particles?

The maximum angle of deflection for colliding particles refers to the largest angle at which two particles can change direction after colliding with each other. This angle is determined by various factors such as the masses and velocities of the particles, as well as the type of interaction between them.

How is the maximum angle of deflection calculated?

The maximum angle of deflection can be calculated using the laws of conservation of momentum and energy. By considering the initial and final momenta and energies of the colliding particles, the maximum angle of deflection can be determined using mathematical equations.

What factors affect the maximum angle of deflection?

The maximum angle of deflection is influenced by several factors, including the masses and velocities of the particles, the angle of collision, and the type of interaction between the particles (e.g. elastic or inelastic). Additionally, external factors such as external forces or fields may also play a role in determining the maximum angle of deflection.

Why is the maximum angle of deflection important in particle collisions?

The maximum angle of deflection is important in particle collisions because it provides valuable information about the nature of the collision and the properties of the particles involved. By studying the maximum angle of deflection, scientists can gain insight into the fundamental properties of matter and the forces that govern interactions between particles.

Can the maximum angle of deflection ever be greater than 180 degrees?

No, the maximum angle of deflection cannot be greater than 180 degrees. This is because the particles involved in the collision cannot change direction by more than 180 degrees without reversing their velocities, which violates the conservation of energy and momentum laws.