Angle-Preserving Linear Transformations in 2D Space for Relativity

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Lorentz transformations and the different possibilities for the mapping of an event in one observer's spacetime diagram to another observer's diagram. The video suggests that there are only three possible transformations that satisfy the properties of angle preservation and linearity, namely, rotation for the case of T>4, Galilean boost for T=4, and Lorentz boost for T<4. The question is raised whether there could be any other transformations that satisfy these properties, and if not, what is the mathematical proof for why only these three are possible.
Shirish
I'm watching this minutephysics video on Lorentz transformations (part starting from 2:13 and ending at 4:10). In my spacetime diagram, my worldline will be along the ##ct## axis and the worldline of an observer moving relative to me will be at some angle w.r.t. the ##y## axis.

When we switch to the other observer's spacetime diagram, the observer's worldline will be along the ##y## axis and my worldline would flip over to the other side, but the angle between the worldlines would be preserved. Then the video goes on to mention three possibilities:

hHR59.png

The event at ##(2,4)## ends up getting mapped to ##(0,T)##, where ##T<4##, ##T=4## or ##T>4##. And it seems like the video is suggesting only one possible transformation for each case, giving a total of only three possible transformations. For an angle preserving transformation ##A##, given any two unit vectors ##u_1,u_2##, $$[u_1]^TM[u_2]=[u_1]^TA^TMA[u_2]\implies M=A^TMA$$ where ##M## is the metric we're assuming for the space. Seems like (though I'm not a 100% sure) the ##T>4## possibility corresponds to rotation (Euclidean, sure about this one), ##T=4## to Galilean boost (Galilean) and ##T<4## to Lorentz boost (Minkowski metric).

But why is it being suggested that only these three transformations (satisfying the angle preservation and linearity properties) are possible? Is it possible to find any other transformations than rotation for the case of ##T>4##, or other than Lorentz for ##T<4##, etc.? If not, can anyone direct me to a proof or explanation of why only three transformations are possible?

(Specifically a mathematical argument/proof of why Euclidean, Galilean and Lorentz must be the only linear angle-preserving transformations in flat geometry would be nice)

Physics news on Phys.org
He discusses on x-t diagram so rotation which includes y,z coordinate is a digression from his scenario. It has nothing to do with your T discussion. Inversion and displacement, neither.
Galilean transformation was revealed not to be a right one to describe nature.

Small edit to my original post since I'm not finding the option to directly edit: in the first 2 paragraphs, I miswrote ##ct## axis as ##y## axis.

1. What is an angle-preserving linear transformation in 2D space?

An angle-preserving linear transformation in 2D space is a mathematical operation that preserves the angles between lines and curves in a two-dimensional coordinate system. This means that the transformation does not change the shape or orientation of objects in the space.

2. How is this type of transformation related to relativity?

In the theory of relativity, space and time are considered to be interconnected and can be transformed into each other. Angle-preserving linear transformations in 2D space are used to describe how objects and events are perceived differently by observers in different frames of reference, which is a key concept in relativity.

3. What are some real-world applications of angle-preserving linear transformations in 2D space?

These transformations have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They are used to model and analyze the motion of objects, to correct for distortions in images and maps, and to create realistic 2D animations and simulations.

4. How do these transformations differ from other types of linear transformations?

Unlike general linear transformations, which can change the shape and orientation of objects, angle-preserving linear transformations only change the scale and position of objects in 2D space while preserving their angles. This makes them particularly useful in applications where the relative angles between objects are important.

5. Are there any limitations to using angle-preserving linear transformations in 2D space?

While these transformations have many practical applications, they are limited to 2D space and cannot be extended to higher dimensions. Additionally, they may not accurately represent the behavior of objects in extreme conditions, such as near the speed of light, where the effects of relativity are more pronounced.