Angled beam support reaction loads

In summary, the moment of a beam at given angle can be determined by taking moments about the ends of the beam and resolving the problem vertically.
Rigga81
Hi,
Im trying to find the method for working out the support reaction loads on a beam at given angle.
example: a 6m beam with a point load 600kg or UDl of 100kg/m perpendicular to the beam. Suspended at each end by a chain hoist, "a" and "b". "b" is 2m higher than "a". I believe using angle is the key but I can't find many examples I understand to check my results against.

Thanks

James

Engineering news on Phys.org
Rigga81 said:
Hi,
Im trying to find the method for working out the support reaction loads on a beam at given angle.
example: a 6m beam with a point load 600kg or UDl of 100kg/m perpendicular to the beam. Suspended at each end by a chain hoist, "a" and "b". "b" is 2m higher than "a". I believe using angle is the key but I can't find many examples I understand to check my results against.

Thanks

James

Yes, the angle will be very helpful here in determining certain angles. So I believe this will require us to take moments (don't see much point in resolving as there aren't many unknowns...). Have you tried taking moments about each end of the beam, knowing that the net moment = 0? If you do that, you should be able to find the tensions.

Are the chains vertical? I have written my response assuming that they are? It becomes a bit more tricky if they aren't, but then you can use 3 coplanar forces ideas...

Hi, Thanks for you reply. Yes in this instance the chains are vertical. Could you explain further how you would solve this please?

Rigga81 said:
Hi, Thanks for you reply. Yes in this instance the chains are vertical. Could you explain further how you would solve this please?

Most important thing when doing moment questions is to draw a nice, clear, and big diagram so you can familiarise yourself with the geometry of the problem.

We also know that Moment = Force x perpendicular distance to pivot from line of action:
[tex] \textbf{Moment} = \textbf{r} \times \textbf{F} [/tex]

If we are comfortable with this idea, then there is no need for us to use the angles... If you are not clear about taking moments, I would go and look at some videos on youtube as there are many sources out there.

Taking moments about A (the lower end) couter-clockwise, we know that the net moment is equal to 0 in order for the beam to be in rotational equilibrium:
[tex] 0 = T_{b}(4\sqrt2) - W(\frac{4\sqrt2}{2}) [/tex]

We can calculate W from the problem: if beam has uniform distribution of mass of 100 kg/m, then the total mass of 6m of the beam is... (and we can treat this as acting through the center of the beam as it is uniform distribution of mass)

Then: we can do the same thing for Ta or we can resolve vertically and simply solve from there for Ta

Hope that is of some help.

1. What is an angled beam support?

An angled beam support refers to a type of structural support used in construction, engineering, and architecture. It is a beam that is placed at an angle, rather than perpendicular, to the horizontal surface it is supporting.

2. What are the different types of angled beam supports?

There are several types of angled beam supports, including cantilever beams, inclined beams, and oblique beams. Each type has a specific purpose and is used in different structural configurations.

3. What is a reaction load in relation to angled beam supports?

A reaction load is the force exerted by the angled beam support on the structure it is supporting. It is the counterbalance to the weight of the structure and its contents, and it must be taken into account when designing and constructing angled beam supports.

4. How do I calculate the reaction load on an angled beam support?

The reaction load on an angled beam support can be calculated using basic physics principles, specifically the equations for moments and forces. The specific calculation will vary depending on the type of angled beam support and the load it is supporting.

5. What factors can affect the reaction load on an angled beam support?

The reaction load on an angled beam support can be affected by various factors, including the weight of the structure and its contents, the angle of the beam, the type of beam support, and the strength and stability of the materials used in construction. It is important to consider these factors when designing and constructing angled beam supports.