Angular Acceleration (Grindstone Problem)

In summary: So what equation relates angle, time, initial angular speed, and angular acceleration?In summary, the equation for uniform angular acceleration is analogous to SUVAT equations for uniform linear acceleration. Given a distance, initial speed, and time, the equation for finding acceleration is a = (change in velocity)/time. Similarly, for angular motion, the equation is θ = ω t + 1/2 α t^2, where θ represents angle, t represents time, ω represents initial angular speed, and α represents angular acceleration.
gcombina

Homework Statement

A grindstone, initially at rest, is given a constant angular acceleration so that it makes 20.0 rev in the first 8.00 s. What is its angular acceleration?

(a) 0.313 rad/s2 (c) 2.50 rad/s2 (e) 3.93 rad/s2

(b) 0.625 rad/s2 (d) 1.97 rad/s2

Homework Equations

Rotational Kinematic equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so I am using the equation ω = ω (initial) + ∝ T
BUT my answer is the wrong one. It seems that I have to use this equation ω^2 = ω (initial) ^2 + 2∝Θ
but what do I put in liew of "Θ"?

I just don't understand why is that I have to use that equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
gcombina said:
Ok so I am using the equation ω = ω (initial) + ∝ T
BUT my answer is the wrong one. It seems that I have to use this equation ω^2 = ω (initial) ^2 + 2∝Θ
but what do I put in liew of "Θ"?
I don't see how you can use that equation directly since you don't know the final angular speed.
These equations for uniform angular acceleration are completely analogous to the SUVAT equations for uniform linear acceleration.
linear...angular
distance...angle
speed...angular speed
acceleration..angular acceleration
Given a distance, an initial speed and a time, what equation would you use to find the acceleration?

haruspex said:
I don't see how you can use that equation directly since you don't know the final angular speed.
These equations for uniform angular acceleration are completely analogous to the SUVAT equations for uniform linear acceleration.
linear...angular
distance...angle
speed...angular speed
acceleration..angular acceleration
Given a distance, an initial speed and a time, what equation would you use to find the acceleration?
angular acceleration = change in angular velocity/time

=(final ang vel-initial ang vel)/time

here, initial ang vel =0
final ang vel = 20 rev/s = 125.6 rad/s (there are 2 pi radians/rev)

so, ang accel = (125.6rad/s)/8s=15.7rad/s/s or

I still don't have the answer!

gcombina said:
angular acceleration = change in angular velocity/time
Yes, but that's not what I asked. Forget this question and angular motion for the moment. In linear uniform acceleration,
haruspex said:
I.e., what SUVAT equation relates distance, time, initial velocity, and acceleration?

haruspex said:
Yes, but that's not what I asked. Forget this question and angular motion for the moment. In linear uniform acceleration,

I.e., what SUVAT equation relates distance, time, initial velocity, and acceleration?

θ = ω t + 1/2 t^2

that one

gcombina said:
θ = ω t + 1/2 t^2

that one
Yes (except that you missed out one symbol).

What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity. It is a measure of how quickly an object's rotational speed is changing.

How is angular acceleration calculated?

Angular acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the time it takes for that change to occur. It is typically measured in radians per second squared (rad/s²).

What is the "Grindstone Problem" in relation to angular acceleration?

The Grindstone Problem is a classic physics problem that involves calculating the angular acceleration of a grindstone as it is being pushed by a person's hand. It is often used to demonstrate the concept of torque and rotational motion.

What factors affect angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is affected by the net torque acting on an object and the object's moment of inertia. The net torque is dependent on the applied force and the distance from the axis of rotation, while the moment of inertia is dependent on an object's mass and distribution of mass.

How does angular acceleration relate to linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration and linear acceleration are related through the radius of rotation. Linear acceleration is equal to the product of the radius of rotation and angular acceleration. This relationship is described by the equation a = rα, where a is linear acceleration, r is the radius of rotation, and α is angular acceleration.