Angular acceleration of Pendulum equation

In summary: The minimum point of the ball is when the angle is 0 or π, so θ''=0 and angular velocity is maximum.
StevenJacobs990
Is this a legitimate equation?
θ'' = − gR sin θ

Source: ftp://www.myphysicslab.com/pendulum1.html

ftp://www.myphysicslab.com/images/pendulum_2.gif
The pendulum is modeled as a point mass at the end of a massless rod. We define the following variables:
  • θ = angle of pendulum (0=vertical)
  • R = length of rod
  • T = tension in rod
  • m = mass of pendulum
  • g = gravitational constant
We will derive the equation of motion for the pendulum using the rotational analog of Newton's second law for motion about a fixed axis, which is τ = I α where
  • τ = net torque
  • I = rotational inertia
  • α = θ''= angular acceleration
The rotational inertia about the pivot is I = m R2. Torque can be calculated as the vector cross product of the position vector and the force. The magnitude of the torque due to gravity works out to beτ = −R m g sin θ. So we have
R m g sin θ = m R2 α

which simplifies to
θ'' = − gR sin θ

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Y
StevenJacobs990 said:
Is this a legitimate equation?
θ'' = − gR sin θ
Yes, it is correct. The angular acceleration of the pendulum is ## \ddot {\theta} = -\frac{g\sin(\theta)}{R}##

ehild said:
Y

Yes, it is correct. The angular acceleration of the pendulum is ## \ddot {\theta} = -\frac{g\sin(\theta)}{R}##

I have four more questions. I thought making a new forum would be too much for such simple questions.

1. Is "g" gravitational constant or gravitational acceleration? Because in my school I learned lowercase g as gravitational acceleration and capital G as the gravitational constant.

2. What does the equation, θ'' = − gR sin θ, exactly tell?
So if I know g, R, and the angle, then I only know the angular acceleration at that instantaneous moment? Because θ will decrease as pendulum sweeps down.

3. Regarding question 2 that if θ'' changes throughout an oscillation of a pendulum, then is the integral of θ'' verses time graph will be change in angular velocity ω?

4. Regarding question 3 that if I can get angular velocity with integral of angular acceleration v.s. time graph, then it is possible to find the linear velocity when the ball is at its minimum point?

StevenJacobs990 said:
I have four more questions. I thought making a new forum would be too much for such simple questions.

1. Is "g" gravitational constant or gravitational acceleration? Because in my school I learned lowercase g as gravitational acceleration and capital G as the gravitational constant.
g is the gravitational acceleration near the surface of the Earth.
StevenJacobs990 said:
2. What does the equation, θ'' = − gR sin θ, exactly tell?
So if I know g, R, and the angle, then I only know the angular acceleration at that instantaneous moment? Because θ will decrease as pendulum sweeps down.
Yes, the formula gives the instantaneous angular acceleration at angle θ.
StevenJacobs990 said:
3. Regarding question 2 that if θ'' changes throughout an oscillation of a pendulum, then is the integral of θ'' verses time graph will be change in angular velocity ω?
Yes, the change of the angular velocity between time instant t1 and t2 is equal to the integral of θ'' with respect time.
StevenJacobs990 said:
4. Regarding question 3 that if I can get angular velocity with integral of angular acceleration v.s. time graph, then it is possible to find the linear velocity when the ball is at its minimum point?
Yes, the linear velocity is v=Rω, at every point of the track.

What is the equation for angular acceleration of a pendulum?

The equation for angular acceleration of a pendulum is: α = -(g/L)sin(θ), where α is the angular acceleration, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and L is the length of the pendulum.

How does the length of the pendulum affect its angular acceleration?

The length of the pendulum affects its angular acceleration because it is directly related to the value of L in the equation. A longer pendulum will have a smaller angular acceleration, while a shorter pendulum will have a larger angular acceleration.

Does the mass of the pendulum affect its angular acceleration?

No, the mass of the pendulum does not affect its angular acceleration. The equation for angular acceleration of a pendulum does not include a variable for mass.

What factors can influence the angular acceleration of a pendulum?

The angular acceleration of a pendulum can be influenced by factors such as the length of the pendulum, the initial angle of release, and any external forces acting on the pendulum (such as air resistance or friction).

How can the angular acceleration of a pendulum be calculated experimentally?

The angular acceleration of a pendulum can be calculated experimentally by measuring the length of the pendulum, the initial angle of release, and the time it takes for the pendulum to complete one full swing. These values can then be used in the equation α = -(g/L)sin(θ) to calculate the angular acceleration.