Angular frequency descriptive term

In summary, angular frequency is the term to describe a wave's generic frequency that differs only by a tens multiple or division.
FrankMak
Is there a descriptive term for an angular frequency that is always equal to 2Pi, differing only by a tens multiple or division?

Equivalently, is there a descriptive term for the wavelength associated with the above value. Dividing any tens multiple or division of 2Pi into the speed of light produces a numeric value of 4771345... differing only in decimal point placement.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Angular frequency has units of radians per second, or [tex]s^{-1}[/tex]

Are you thinking of the term harmonic?

No, not a harmonic, only tens multiples or divisions. Angular frequency is the descriptive term to describe "any" result that is arrived at using 2Pi x freq.

As a frequency, any result that gives a tens multiple or division of 2Pi is essentially a "generic angular frequency" for a wave. If you start out with an angular frequency where the frequency is "one", that value can represent any full wave regardless of its length. If I start adding a tens multiplier to the 2Pi value and convert that to a wavelength, I get a "base" wavelength for any wavelength in that tens range.

As a frequency, when 2Pi or any tens multiple or division of that value converted to a wavelength gives a numeric value of 47713... differing only in decimal point. The 47713... value might be construed as a "generic wavelength".

There isn't a defintion for a "generic angular frequency", or for a "generic wavelength". I want to know if there are existing descriptive terms that describe that particular frequency and wavelength relationship.

I honestly have no idea what you are talking about. A factor of 10 is called a decade, and it's common to think in terms of decades when dealing with frequency on a log scale.

When you mentioned that it is usual to think of frequency in terms of decades I realized that I have to distinguish between frequency and angular frequency when I convert to wavelength, one giving "normal" wavelength and the other "angular wavelength".

The definition for "angular wavelength" is dividing normal wavelength by 2Pi.

http://vip.ocsnet.net/~ancient/Freq-AngularFreq.pdf"

After going in circles on this for awhile you made me realize I was in an erroneous mental logic loop.

I recall a quote from a book, "Boltzmanns Atom", where Neils Bohr is quoted saying to Einstein, "No, No, you are not thinking, you are just being logical."

I think you have helped me solve a several thousand year old mathematical problem. I thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Angular frequency descriptive term

1. What is angular frequency descriptive term?

Angular frequency descriptive term is a term used to describe the rate at which an object or system rotates or oscillates around a fixed point. It is often represented by the symbol ω and is measured in radians per second.

2. How is angular frequency related to frequency?

Angular frequency and frequency are related by the formula ω = 2πf, where f is the frequency in hertz. This means that the angular frequency is equal to 2π times the frequency.

3. What is the difference between angular frequency and angular velocity?

Angular frequency and angular velocity are closely related but have slightly different meanings. Angular frequency is a measure of the rate of rotation or oscillation, while angular velocity is a vector quantity that describes the speed and direction of rotation or oscillation.

4. How is angular frequency used in physics and engineering?

Angular frequency is used in various equations and formulas in physics and engineering, particularly in the fields of mechanics, electricity and magnetism, and waves. It is also an important concept in understanding rotational motion and harmonic motion.

5. Can angular frequency be negative?

Yes, angular frequency can be negative. A negative angular frequency indicates that the object or system is rotating or oscillating in the opposite direction to the one defined as positive. This can happen, for example, in a system with a changing direction of rotation.