Angular frequency of the small oscillations of a pendulum

In summary: So in order to get the angular frequency, we need to divide by mass which gives ##ω= \frac{\sqrt{d^2V/mdθ^2}}{L}##.In summary, for small oscillations of a pendulum, the potential energy is -mglcosθ and the angular frequency is given by ω=√(d2V/mdθ2)/L. The force constant is defined as d2V/dx2, and for small displacements, x=Lθ, so the force constant can also be written as d2V/(L2dθ2). The dimension of the second derivative of the potential with respect to displacement is force/length while the dimension of the second derivative of the
Apashanka

Homework Statement

One silly thing may be I am missing for small oscillations of a pendulum the potential energy is -mglcosθ ,for θ=0 is the point of stable equilibrium (e.g minimum potential energy) .

Homework Equations

Small oscillations angular frequency
ω=√(d2Veffect./mdθ2) about stable equilibrium.

The Attempt at a Solution

Solving for this gives ω=√(gl),am I missing out something
Since ω=√(g/l)

Physics news on Phys.org
Apashanka said:

Homework Statement

One silly thing may be I am missing for small oscillations of a pendulum the potential energy is -mglcosθ ,for θ=0 is the point of stable equilibrium (e.g minimum potential energy) .

Homework Equations

Small oscillations angular frequency
ω=√(d2Veffect./mdθ2) about stable equilibrium.

The Attempt at a Solution

Solving for this gives ω=√(gl),am I missing out something
Since ω=√(g/l)
ω=√(d2Veffect./mdθ2) is not true. Check the dimension.

ehild said:
ω=√(d2Veffect./mdθ2) is not true. Check the dimension.
If the potential V(θ) is expanded about a local Maxima or minima point θ0 then V(θ)=V(θ0)+(1/2)(d2V(θ)/dθ2)(θ-θ0)2
V(θ)~(1/2)kdθ2
or ω=√(k/m)
From that I am telling this

Apashanka said:
If the potential V(θ) is expanded about a local Maxima or minima point θ0 then V(θ)=V(θ0)+(1/2)(d2V(θ)/dθ2)(θ-θ0)2
V(θ)~(1/2)kdθ2
or ω=√(k/m)
From that I am telling this
The force constant is defined as force divided by displacement, so its dimension is Force/Length. The second derivative of the potential with respect to displacement is equal to the force constant. The second derivative of the potential with respect the angle has dimension of work.
The force constant is ##k= \frac{d^2V}{dx^2}##, and in case of small displacements, x=Lθ, so ##k= \frac{d^2V}{L^2dθ^2}##.

Likes SammyS

1. What is the angular frequency of a small oscillation of a pendulum?

The angular frequency of a small oscillation of a pendulum is the rate at which the pendulum swings back and forth, measured in radians per second.

2. How is the angular frequency of a pendulum calculated?

The angular frequency of a pendulum can be calculated using the equation ω = √(g/L), where g is the acceleration due to gravity and L is the length of the pendulum.

3. What factors affect the angular frequency of a pendulum?

The angular frequency of a pendulum is affected by the length of the pendulum, the mass of the pendulum bob, and the acceleration due to gravity.

4. How does the angular frequency of a pendulum change with changes in length?

The angular frequency of a pendulum is directly proportional to the square root of the length of the pendulum. This means that as the length of the pendulum increases, the angular frequency also increases.

5. What is the relationship between angular frequency and period of a pendulum?

The period of a pendulum is the time it takes for one complete swing. The angular frequency is the reciprocal of the period, meaning that as the period decreases, the angular frequency increases and vice versa.