Finding the frequency of very small oscillations

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the equilibrium distance between two particles in a potential well and the frequency of small oscillations around this distance. The equilibrium distance is found using U'(r) = 0, resulting in r_equilibrium = 2^(1/6)*a. To find the frequency, the potential is approximated by a parabola and a Taylor expansion is used to solve for k. The final equation for the frequency is ω = (3*2^(1/3)/a)*sqrt(E_0/μ).
Bjarni
Homework Statement
Find the frequency of very small oscillations around the equilibrium distance
Relevant Equations
U(r) = E_0[(a/r)^12- (a/r)^6]
r_equilibrium = 2^(1/6)*a
So I'm working on this home assignment that has numerous segments. Firstly, I was asked to find the equilibrium distance between two particles in a potential well described by U(r).

I did that by setting U'(r) = 0 and came out with r_equilibrium = 2^(1/6)*a.

Now, I'm being asked to find the frequency of very small oscillations around r_equilibrium and I'm honestly lost. I think I only need a small push in the general direction of the solution because as of now I don't really know where to start.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
For very small oscillations you can approximate the potential by a parabola.

Thanks.

I used a Taylor-expansion and set F = -k(r-r_0) = -dU/dr.

Got k = 9*2^(2/3)*E_0/a^2

and since ω = sqrt(k/μ), I ended up with ω = (3*2^(1/3)/a)*sqrt(E_0/μ) which I feel pretty good about.

Sorry for my lack of LaTex skills..

Likes mfb

1. What are very small oscillations?

Very small oscillations refer to repetitive back-and-forth movements or vibrations that occur on a very small scale. These movements can be seen in various systems such as mechanical systems, electrical circuits, and atomic particles.

2. How is frequency defined for very small oscillations?

Frequency is the number of complete oscillations or cycles that occur in a given amount of time. For very small oscillations, the frequency is typically measured in Hertz (Hz) or cycles per second.

3. Why is it important to find the frequency of very small oscillations?

Finding the frequency of very small oscillations is important in understanding the behavior and characteristics of a system. It can also help in predicting the future motion of the system and determining its stability.

4. What factors affect the frequency of very small oscillations?

The frequency of very small oscillations can be affected by various factors such as the mass of the system, the stiffness of the system, and the amplitude of the oscillations. In addition, external forces or damping can also affect the frequency.

5. How is the frequency of very small oscillations calculated?

The frequency of very small oscillations can be calculated using the equation f = 1/2π√(k/m), where f is the frequency, k is the stiffness of the system, and m is the mass of the system. This equation is derived from Hooke's Law and the equation for simple harmonic motion.