Angular impulse of rolling ball

In summary, the conversation discusses using the angular impulse method to find an expression for the initial linear speed (v) when pure rolling starts for a sliding sphere meeting a floor with friction. There is a discrepancy in the problem involving the use of "R" instead of "r" and "Vi=V" instead of "Vi=Vf". The issue of mv being larger than the impulse given is also addressed. It is suggested to properly distinguish initial and final linear speeds to clarify the relationship between them.
serverxeon
In the following, we have a sliding sphere, when it meets a floor with friction.

I want to use the angular impulse method to find an expression of the v when pure rolling starts.

5wmn8z.jpg

[sorry I have no idea how to type in latex.]

This is obviously incorrect.
But I can't find out what's wrong. anyone?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why is that obviously wrong? I at least could follow it. (Small note: you changed from r to R in the problem. Also I think Vi should equal Vi not Vi=V because if Vi=V that's like Vi=Vf, but that's more of a typo.)

Last edited:
it's wrong cos it states that mv is larger tahn the impulse given.

?? Kind of following. Why does that matter? The value of mv can be bigger than the linear impulse in this problem. (Note: where mv=mVfinal)

It might become clearer if you properly distinguish initial and final linear speeds (u, v perhaps) and get the relationship between them.

1. What is angular impulse?

Angular impulse is a measure of how much a rotational motion changes over time. It is the product of a force applied to an object and the time duration of that force.

2. How is angular impulse related to a rolling ball?

Angular impulse is important in understanding the motion of a rolling ball because it affects the rotation of the ball. When a force is applied to the ball, it causes a change in angular momentum, which affects how the ball rolls.

3. What factors influence the angular impulse of a rolling ball?

The main factor that influences the angular impulse of a rolling ball is the magnitude and direction of the applied force. The location of the force on the ball's surface and the time duration of the force also play a role.

4. How is angular impulse calculated?

Angular impulse can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the time duration of that force. In the case of a rolling ball, the force is typically applied as a torque, which is the product of the force and the distance from the axis of rotation.

5. How does angular impulse affect the stability of a rolling ball?

Angular impulse plays a crucial role in the stability of a rolling ball. If a force is applied at the center of mass of the ball, the ball will experience a pure translational motion and remain stable. However, if the force is applied at a different point, it can cause the ball to wobble or change its direction of motion, leading to instability.