Angular Momentum and Acceleration in a Pulley System: Calculations and Equations

• Thread starter mshmsh_2100
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about a system consisting of two blocks attached by an ideal rope over a pulley, and the blocks are assumed to move without slipping or rotating. The two parts of the problem involve calculating the magnitude of the system's angular momentum and the pulley's angular acceleration, both in terms of the given variables. However, the student's attempt at a solution was incorrect due to incorrect calculations for the moment of inertia of the disk.
mshmsh_2100

Homework Statement

A block of mass m1 is attached to a block of mass m2 by an ideal rope passing over a pulley of mass M and radius R as shown. The pulley is assumed to be a uniform disc rotating freely about an axis passing through its center of mass (cm in the figure). There is no friction between block 2 and the surface. Assume that the pulley rotates counterclockwise as shown with an angular speed ω and that the rope does not slip relative to the pulley, and that the blocks move accordingly and do not topple or rotate.

Consider the system to be formed by the pulley, block 1, block 2 and the rope.

1. Calculate the magnitude of the angular momentum of the system about the center of mass of the pulley. Express your answer in terms of some or all of the variables m1, m2, M, R, ω and g.

2. Find the pulley's angular acceleration. Express your answer in terms of some or all of the variables m1, m2, M, R, ω and g.

Homework Equations

angular momentum = moment of inertia x angular velocity
moment of inertia = mass x radius squared
torque = moment of inertia x angular acceleration

The Attempt at a Solution

for the first part my answer was ((m1+m2)*v*R)+(M*omega*R^2)

for the second part ((m1*g)/(m1+m2+M))/R

i just need to know what I'm doing wrong

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 402
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
as shown
Shown where?

This is true for point-masses only, it is not true for disks.

i just need to know what I'm doing wrong
How do you know it is wrong (it is wrong)? Do you know the solution?

no i don't know the solution but every time i try to submit my answers i got it wrong... i only have one more try and cannot figure out what is wrong with my answers?

See the comment about point-masses and disks.
Your moment of inertia of the disk is wrong.

Also, I hope you realize that, in your angular momentum equation, v = ωR.

mshmsh_2100 said:
no i don't know the solution but every time i try to submit my answers i got it wrong... i only have one more try and cannot figure out what is wrong with my answers?
How are we supposed to tell unless you show your work? Just posting your wrong answers isn't very helpful.

mshmsh_2100 said:
[

Homework Equations

That is wrong. The moment of inertia of a homogeneous disk is mR2/2.

ehild

1. Why are my answers incorrect?

There could be several reasons why your answers are incorrect. It could be due to a lack of understanding of the topic, not reading the question carefully, or making a simple mistake in calculations. It is important to review your answers and double check your work to identify the mistake.

2. How can I improve my answers?

To improve your answers, it is important to have a clear understanding of the topic. Take your time to read and understand the question before attempting to answer it. Use reliable sources to gather information and make sure to double check your work for any mistakes. Practice and repetition can also help improve your answers.

3. What should I do if I don't know the answer?

If you don't know the answer, it is important to not guess or make up an answer. Instead, try to break down the question and identify any key terms or concepts that you do know. Use these to make an educated guess or to guide your research. If you are still unsure, it is best to ask for help from a teacher or colleague.

4. Why are some people's answers different from mine?

Different people may have different approaches, perspectives, or sources of information when answering a question. It is important to understand that there can be multiple correct answers to a question, and it is not always necessary for everyone to have the exact same answer. As long as your answer is well-supported and accurate, it can be considered correct.

5. Can I trust my answers to be correct?

As a scientist, it is important to have a critical mindset and to always question and verify information. While your answers may be accurate, it is always a good idea to double check your work and to continuously seek out new information and knowledge. Trust in your answers should come from a place of understanding and evidence, rather than blind faith.