Angular momentum and central force

In summary: Then use the method of undetermined coefficients to add in a particular solution. Then add to that the solution to the homogeneous equation (which should be easy to find) with a couple of arbitrary constants, and work out those constants from the boundary conditions. (Note that d/dr = dθ/dr * d/dθ, so that d/dθ = dr/dθ * d/dr. This is where the relationship between θ, r and t should come in.)So, as I see it, you are being asked to find the equation of motion for a particle moving in a central force field F(r) = F(r̂). The position vector is ##\vec r = r \vec r̂##.
spacetimedude

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m moves under the influence of a central force
F(r)=-mk[(3/r^2)-2a/r^3]rhat

Show that if the particle is moving in a circular orbit of radius a, then its angular momentum is L=mh=m√(ka)

Homework Equations

L=mvr for circular orbit

The Attempt at a Solution

From the equation, we extract the second derivative of the position vector r''=-k[(3/r^2)-2a/r^3]rhat. We integrate this in order to find the velocity to use in L=mvr.
(At this point, can I dot product both sides by rhat to get rid of the vector?)
r''=-k[(3/r^2)-2a/r^3]
Integrating:
r'=-k[-3/r+a/r^2]=-k[(-3r+a)/r^2]
Using the angular momentum equation L=mvr=m*r'*r:
L=m*-k[(-3r+a)/r^2]*r.
We have r=a, so
L=m*(-k[(-3a+a)/a^2]*a)=m2k.

So obviously, the integration is wrong because I haven't included the integrating constant and also the answer we get is wrong. And intuitively by substituting in r=a, we are saying that r doesn't change.
How could I correctly approach this problem?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
spacetimedude said:
can I dot product both sides by rhat
That would be strange: ##\vec L \equiv \vec r\times \vec p## so dot product would be zero !

What is essential for a circular orbit ?

BvU said:
That would be strange: ##\vec L \equiv \vec r\times \vec p## so dot product would be zero !

What is essential for a circular orbit ?
dL/dt=0 because there is no external force acting on the particle.

That's right, but: think back a lot further, when you first learned about circular motion. This is really a very easy exercise.
Note that the radius of the orbit is given!

I've found the answer by using the equation of orbital motion -r=(r^4F(r))/(h^2m) where h=|L|/m. Rearranging the equation and setting r=a, I got L=msqrt(ka)

Thank you :)

If you don't mind me asking another question (using the same central force):

The particle is projected from point A, at distance a from the centre of force O, in a direction perpendicular to OA, its projection velocity being half of the velocity required for a circular orbit of radius a.
Compute the projection velocity and use it to determine the angular momentum.

The equation I have from the notes is velocity=sqrt(-aF(a)/m) assuming that r=a. Since the projection velocity is half that, v(projection)=(1/2)(sqrt(-aF(a)/m)). Then using the fact that v=h/a, we solve for h, and then use h=L/m to compute for L.
Are the steps correct?

spacetimedude said:
I've found the answer by using the equation of orbital motion -r=(r^4F(r))/(h^2m) where h=|L|/m. Rearranging the equation and setting r=a, I got L=msqrt(ka)
As BvU indicated, it's a bit simpler than that. Just write that the force equals the necessary centripetal force.
The second part seems even simpler. You have already found the angular momentum for a circular orbit at radius a. You are told the initial velocity is now half the velocity that corresponds to that angular momentum. So how large is the angular momentum?

haruspex said:
As BvU indicated, it's a bit simpler than that. Just write that the force equals the necessary centripetal force.
The second part seems even simpler. You have already found the angular momentum for a circular orbit at radius a. You are told the initial velocity is now half the velocity that corresponds to that angular momentum. So how large is the angular momentum?
Would the angular momentum be just 1/2 of that of the angular momentum we found before? So (m/2)(sqrt(ka))

spacetimedude said:
Would the angular momentum be just 1/2 of that of the angular momentum we found before? So (m/2)(sqrt(ka))
Looks right to me. The only thing that bothers me is that it seems too easy.

haruspex said:
Looks right to me. The only thing that bothers me is that it seems too easy.
Great! Thank you :) It gets a bit trickier. I was able to derive the radial equation of motion as r''-(9/4)ka/r^3=-3k/r^2 using the equation r''-h^2/r^3=Fr(r)/m and rearranging a bit.

Then the next question asks to define u(θ)=1/r(t) and show that r''-(9/4)ka/r^3=-3k/r^2 could be expressed as u''(θ)+9u(θ)=12/a.
Do I just let r(t)=1/u(θ), differentiate it twice to find r''(t) in terms of u(θ) to substitute into the equation of motion? Even though u and r have different values, namely θ and t, am I allowed to just use chain rule? For example, would r'(t)=-u'(θ)/u(θ)^2? I get an unusual coefficient for r'' if I do it that way.

The question after that asks to solve the equation obtained (u''(θ)+9u(θ)=12/a) and show that the particle follows the orbit:
r=3a/(r-cos(3θ)).
I am not quite sure how to start this one.
Any help will be appreciated as always!

spacetimedude said:
Do I just let r(t)=1/u(θ), differentiate it twice to find r''(t) in terms of u(θ)
Yes, but you have to be consistent about the independent variable with respect to which you are differentiating. If wrt t then terms like dθ/dt will appear: (d/dt)u = (du/dθ)(dθ/dt). So you need to find a relationship between r, θ and t which will provide a substitution for dθ/dt.
spacetimedude said:
solve the equation obtained (u''(θ)+9u(θ)=12/a)
You could try multiplying through by u'. Another approach is to drop the inhomogeneous term on the right of the equals and see if the equation reminds you of anything.

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that measures the amount of rotational motion an object has. It is defined as the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

2. How is angular momentum related to central force?

In a central force system, the direction of the force is always directed towards or away from a fixed point, called the center. Angular momentum is conserved in a central force system, meaning that it remains constant as long as there is no external torque acting on the system.

3. What is the formula for angular momentum?

The formula for angular momentum is L = Iω, where L is angular momentum, I is moment of inertia, and ω is angular velocity.

4. Can angular momentum be negative?

Yes, angular momentum can be negative. It depends on the direction of the angular velocity vector and the moment of inertia tensor. A negative angular momentum means that the object is rotating in the opposite direction to what is conventionally defined as positive.

5. How is angular momentum conserved in central force systems?

In a central force system, the net external torque acting on the system is zero. This means that the total angular momentum of the system remains constant, as stated by the law of conservation of angular momentum. This principle is derived from Newton's laws of motion and the law of conservation of energy.