Angular Momentum and Velocity

In summary: Ldisc,i = I*omega_i= 1.044 * 0.83= 0.867kg.m/sNow, what is the angular momentum of the clay about C?Lclay,i = m*v*r= 0.5 * 8 * 0.6= 2.4 kg.m/sSo, the total angular momentum of the combined system about C before the impact is:LC,i = Ldisc,i + Lclay,i= 0.867 + 2.4= 3.267 kg.m/s2) Just after the impact, what is the angular momentum of the combined system of wheel plus clay about the center C?LC
luckyg14

Homework Statement

A rotating uniform-density disk of radius 0.6 m is mounted in the vertical plane. The axle is held up by supports that are not shown, and the disk is free to rotate on the nearly frictionless axle. The disk has mass 5.8 kg. A lump of clay with mass 0.5 kg falls and sticks to the outer edge of the wheel at location A, < -0.36, 0.480, 0 > m. (Let the origin of the coordinate system be the center of the disk.) Just before the impact the clay has a speed 8 m/s, and the disk is rotating clockwise with angular speed 0.83 radians/s.

1) Just before the impact, what is the angular momentum of the combined system of wheel plus clay about the center C? (As usual, x is to the right, y is up, and z is out of the screen, toward you.)
LC,i = ?kg · m2/s

2) Just after the impact, what is the angular momentum of the combined system of wheel plus clay about the center C?
LC,f = ?kg · m2/s

3) Just after the impact, what is the angular velocity of the wheel?
omega vecf = ?radians/s

Homework Equations

I have no clue

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to do it

Physics news on Phys.org
luckyg14 said:
1) Just before the impact, what is the angular momentum of the combined system of wheel plus clay about the center C? (As usual, x is to the right, y is up, and z is out of the screen, toward you.)
LC,i = ?kg · m2/s
Angular momentum has units like kg.m/s.
The angular momentum of the combined system about C is the sum of the individual angular momenta about C.
What is the moment of inertia of the disc about its centre?

I=.5*m*r^2
=.5*5.8*.6^2
=1.044

luckyg14 said:
I=.5*m*r^2
=.5*5.8*.6^2
=1.044
Right, but don't forget to include units.
You know the initial rate of rotation of the disc, so what is its angular momentum about its centre?

, but I'm a scientist so I'll provide some insights and information about angular momentum and velocity.

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion. It is defined as the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity. In simpler terms, it is the amount of rotational energy an object has. In the context of this problem, the rotating disk has angular momentum due to its mass and angular velocity.

Velocity, on the other hand, is a measure of an object's speed and direction of motion. In the context of this problem, the clay has a velocity of 8 m/s just before it impacts the disk.

To solve this problem, we need to use the principle of conservation of angular momentum. This states that in the absence of external torques, the total angular momentum of a system remains constant. In this case, the only external torque acting on the system is the impact of the clay on the disk. Therefore, the total angular momentum of the system before and after the impact should be equal.

1) Just before the impact, the angular momentum of the combined system of wheel plus clay is given by LC,i = Iω, where I is the moment of inertia and ω is the angular velocity. The moment of inertia of a uniform-density disk is given by I = 1/2MR^2, where M is the mass and R is the radius. Therefore, the angular momentum is:

LC,i = (1/2)(5.8 kg)(0.6 m)^2(0.83 rad/s) = 1.445 kg·m^2/s

2) Just after the impact, the clay will stick to the disk, increasing its moment of inertia. However, the angular velocity of the combined system will remain the same as before the impact. This is because the external torque of the impact is negligible compared to the torque needed to change the angular velocity of the disk. Therefore, the angular momentum of the combined system after the impact is:

LC,f = (1/2)(5.8 kg + 0.5 kg)(0.6 m)^2(0.83 rad/s) = 1.473 kg·m^2/s

3) To find the angular velocity of the wheel after the impact, we can use the principle of conservation of angular momentum again. We know that the total angular momentum of the system remains constant, so we can equate the angular momentum before and after

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of an object. It is the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity. In simpler terms, it is the mass of an object multiplied by its velocity and the distance from its axis of rotation.

2. How is angular momentum different from linear momentum?

Angular momentum and linear momentum are both measures of an object's motion, but they differ in the type of motion that they measure. Linear momentum is a measure of an object's straight-line motion, while angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion.

3. What is the law of conservation of angular momentum?

The law of conservation of angular momentum states that the total angular momentum of a closed system remains constant. This means that the total angular momentum before an event or interaction is equal to the total angular momentum after the event or interaction.

4. How is angular velocity calculated?

Angular velocity is calculated by dividing the change in an object's angle over time. It is typically measured in radians per second and can be represented by the symbol "ω." The formula for angular velocity is ω = Δθ/Δt.

5. What are some applications of angular momentum and velocity?

Angular momentum and velocity have many practical applications in physics and engineering. They are used in the design of spinning objects, such as propellers and turbines, and are also important in the study of celestial bodies and their motion. Additionally, understanding angular momentum is crucial in sports such as figure skating and gymnastics, where rotational motion is a key component.