The moment of inertia for one spoke+ball would be 0.92kg*m^2.

In summary: Clay with mass 0.4kg falls and sticks to one of the balls at the location shown, when the spoke attached to that ball is at 45 to the horizontal. Just before the impact the clay has a speed of 7ms. The wheel is rotating counterclockwise with angular speed 0.4rads.In summary, the device consists of eight balls each of mass 0.78kg attached to the ends of low-mass spokes of length 2.2m. The wheel is free to rotate on the nearly frictionless axle. A lump of clay with mass 0.4kg falls and sticks to one of the balls at the location shown,
Westin

Homework Statement

A device consists of eight balls each of mass 0.78kg attached to the ends of low-mass spokes of length 2.2m, so that the radius of rotation of the balls is 1.1m. The device is mounted in the vertical plane. The axle is held up by supports that are not shown, and the wheel is free to rotate on the nearly frictionless axle. A lump of clay with mass 0.4kg falls and sticks to one of the balls at the location shown, when the spoke attached to that ball is at 45
char0E.png
to the horizontal. Just before the impact the clay has a speed 7m
char3D.png
s, and the wheel is rotating counterclockwise with angular speed 0.4rad
char3D.png
s.

1)Which of the following statements are true about the device and the clay, for angular momentum relative to the axle of the device?

Select all that are True.
a)The angular momentum of the device and clay system just after the collision is equal to the angular momentum of the device and clay system just before the collision.
b)The angular momentum of the falling clay is zero because the clay is moving in a straight line.
c)The angular momentum of the device is the same before and after the collision
d)Just before the collision the angular momentum of the wheel is zero.
e) The angular momentum of the device is the sum of the angular momenta of all eight balls. 2) Just before the impact, what is the angular momentum of the combined system of device plus clay about the center? (As usual, x
char5E.png
is to the right, y
char5E.png
is up, and z
char5E.png
is out of the page.)

Li
char7E.png
=
char1C.png
, ,
char1D.png

3) Just after the impact, what is the angular momentum of the combined system of device plus clay about the center?

Lf
char7E.png
=
char1C.png
, ,
char1D.png

4) Just after impact, what is the angular velocity of this device?

char21.png
f
char7E.png
=
char1C.png
, ,
char1D.png

[/B]

Homework Equations

L = mvr
L = I w
w = L/I[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

For #1, I believe the answer is a) and e)

For #2, I tried Initial angular momentum of the system is the sum of the disk and clay.
L Disk = IW = .5MR^2*W (you know this quantity will be subtracted in the end since it points in the -z direction via RightHandRule)
L Clay = r x p = R(mv)
Li = Lc - Ld
so... (1.1m)(0.4kg)(7m/s) - (.5(8*0.78kg)(1.1m)^2(.4rad/s))

For #3 Since there is no net torque acting on the system, the angular momentum after will be the same as before.

For #4 Final angular velocity: W = L/I. You need to update your I though, since the system is now Disk+clay
I final = .5MR^2 + mR^2
[/B]

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-04-26 at 6.01.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-26 at 6.01.21 PM.png
    45.7 KB · Views: 1,090
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Westin,

Is there a question you want answered ?

If not, I have some comments:

You have no relevant equation for I . You mention ##L_{disc} = I\vec\omega## and then treat the balls as a disc. No good!

##\vec L_{clay} = \vec r \times \vec p ## is good, Rmv is not correct

Something is going wrong with the signs of your ##L##.

## \vec L_i = \vec L_{balls} + \vec L_{clay}##, not ## - ##
And a small detail for 1e: this is correct, provided you take the same distance between axis of rotation and center of ball.
Reason I bring it up is that usually (e.g. in tables) the moment of inertia around an axis through the center is given.​

Is the first part right with a) and e) being true? and also what do i do for #2 instead?

BvU said:
##\vec L_i = \vec L_{balls} + \vec L_{clay}##, not − -
True, but ##\vec L_{balls}## is negative, so the following line is OK (except for the error in Idevice that you already noted).
BvU said:
1e: this is correct, provided you take the same distance between axis of rotation and center of ball.
Not sure what you're saying there. Are you pointing out that unless the balls are small compared with the spoke length the parallel axis theorem should be used?

Westin said:
what do i do for #2 instead?
First, get the I correct for the device. It is not a uniform disk.

is it a rod? My homework is due at 8pm..

Westin said:
is it a rod? My homework is due at 8pm..
You answered correctly that e) is true. What is the moment of inertia for one spoke+ball? Note this:
Westin said:
balls each of mass 0.78kg attached to the ends of low-mass spokes

1. What is the relationship between spinning spokes and clay?

The relationship between spinning spokes and clay is that they are both used in the process of pottery making. Spinning spokes, also known as potter's wheel, is a tool used to shape and mold clay into various forms.

2. How does spinning spokes help in the pottery making process?

Spinning spokes help in the pottery making process by providing a stable and consistent platform for the clay to be shaped and molded. It also allows the potter to control the speed and direction of the spinning wheel, which is crucial in creating certain shapes and designs.

3. What type of clay is best for spinning spokes?

The type of clay best suited for spinning spokes is usually a fine-grained clay that is pliable and easy to work with. Some common types of clay used in pottery making are earthenware, stoneware, and porcelain.

4. Can spinning spokes be used for other types of creative projects?

Yes, spinning spokes can be used for other types of creative projects such as sculpting and creating ceramic art pieces. The spinning motion of the wheel allows for more control and precision in shaping the clay, making it a versatile tool for various artistic endeavors.

5. Is there a specific technique for using spinning spokes?

Yes, there are various techniques for using spinning spokes, depending on the desired outcome. Some basic techniques include centering the clay, opening the clay, and pulling up the walls to create the desired shape. These techniques require practice and skill to master, but they can be learned through classes or tutorials.