Angular momentum, block plus bullet

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of angular momentum for a bullet-block system after a collision. It is determined that the angular momentum is conserved and therefore does not change upon collision.
timnswede

Homework Statement

A wooden block of mass M resting on a frictionless, horizontal surface is attached to a rigid rod of length l and of negligible mass. The rod is pivoted at the other end. A bullet of mass m traveling parallel to the horizontal surface and perpendicular to the rod with speed v hits the block and becomes embedded in it.
a.) What is the angular momentum of the bullet-block system about a vertical axis through the pivot.

Homework Equations

L=r x p

The Attempt at a Solution

So I got L initial, which is mvl and L final which is (m+M)vfl. What I thought the angular momentum would be would be L final - L initial, but the answer is apparently mvl down, which is just the bullet. Where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
timnswede said:
So I got L initial, which is mvl and L final which is (m+M)vfl. What I thought the angular momentum would be would be L final - L initial, but the answer is apparently mvl down, which is just the bullet. Where did I go wrong?
What question are you trying to answer? (You only listed part a.) Would you expect the angular momentum to change upon collision?

Doc Al said:
What question are you trying to answer? (You only listed part a.) Would you expect the angular momentum to change upon collision?
I only put part A since I understand part B.
Is it really that easy and I am just overcomplicating it? Since angular momentum is conserved, then L initial equals L final and that is why the answer is just mvl, since it is is the same as the final angular momentum?

timnswede said:
Is it really that easy and I am just overcomplicating it? Since angular momentum is conserved, then L initial equals L final and that is why the answer is just mvl, since it is is the same as the final angular momentum?
Yes, that's all there is to it. Note that the question (at least as you quoted it) does not specify before or after the collision. It doesn't matter: angular momentum is conserved.

Doc Al said:
Yes, that's all there is to it. Note that the question (at least as you quoted it) does not specify before or after the collision. It doesn't matter: angular momentum is conserved.
OK, thank you. That was actually a really easy question then.

1. What is Angular Momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of an object. It is the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

2. How is Angular Momentum calculated?

Angular momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's moment of inertia by its angular velocity. The formula is L = Iω, where L is angular momentum, I is moment of inertia, and ω is angular velocity.

3. What is the conservation of Angular Momentum?

The conservation of angular momentum states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant in the absence of external torques. This means that if an object's angular momentum changes, it must be due to an external torque acting on the object.

4. How does Angular Momentum relate to a block and bullet system?

In a block and bullet system, the bullet has angular momentum due to its linear motion and the block has angular momentum due to its rotational motion. The total angular momentum of the system remains constant, even after the bullet is embedded in the block and the block starts to rotate.

5. Can Angular Momentum be negative?

Yes, angular momentum can be negative. It depends on the direction of rotation and the choice of axis. A clockwise rotation is considered negative while a counterclockwise rotation is considered positive.