Angular Momentum: Check Answers to Gyroscope Motion Problems

In summary, the conversation discusses a gyroscope and its direction of angular momentum and rotation (precession). The gyroscope is rotating in the sense of the curved arrow, with the top of the wheel coming out of the page and the bottom going into the page. The direction of the angular momentum vector is +x, and the direction of precession is into the page (C).
TwinGemini14
http://i662.photobucket.com/albums/uu347/TwinGemini14/showme.gif

----------

A gyroscope is turning such that in the picture the top of the wheel is coming out of the page and the bottom of the wheel is going into the page (the wheel is rotating in the sense of the curved arrow). The bar (which is attached to the center of mass of the wheel and of negligible mass) is being held up by a piece of string wrapped around its end.

3) Which direction does the angular momentum vector of the gyroscope point in?

A. +x
B. -x
C. +z

4) The direction of rotation (precession) of the gyroscope is:

A. counterclockwise in the plane of the page (rotating in the direction from the x-axis to the y-axis)

B. out of the page (rotating in the direction from the x-axis to the z axis)
C. into the page (rotating in the direction from the x-axis to the -z axis)

------
ANSWER: 3) I believe to be A (+x) because using the right hand rule, by following the motion of the rotation, your thumb points in the positive x direction.

4) I think the direction of precession will go into the page (C) because of how the wheel is spinning, it wants to travel to the -z axis.

::::
Can somebody please help check these problems, I would really appreciate it. I pasted a link to the diagram on the very top of my post. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
3) Looks right.

4) Looks right.

I can confirm that your answers are correct. The angular momentum vector of the gyroscope points in the positive x direction, as determined by the right hand rule. And the direction of precession is into the page (rotating in the direction from the x-axis to the -z axis) due to the motion of the wheel. It appears that you have a good understanding of angular momentum and the concepts related to gyroscope motion. Well done!

Related to Angular Momentum: Check Answers to Gyroscope Motion Problems

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of an object, taking into account its mass, velocity, and distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How is angular momentum calculated?

Angular momentum is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia (a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion) by the angular velocity (the rate of change of its angular position).

3. What is the conservation of angular momentum?

The conservation of angular momentum states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant, unless acted upon by an external torque. This means that if one part of a system experiences a change in angular momentum, another part must experience an equal and opposite change in order to maintain the overall balance.

4. How does angular momentum relate to gyroscopic motion?

Gyroscopic motion is a type of rotational motion that exhibits the principles of angular momentum. Gyroscopes use their angular momentum to maintain their orientation and resist changes in direction.

5. How can angular momentum be used to solve problems involving gyroscopes?

In problems involving gyroscopes, angular momentum can be used to determine the resulting motion and forces acting on the system. By understanding the principles of angular momentum, the behavior of gyroscopes can be predicted and controlled.