Angular momentum commutation relation, extra terms?

In summary, the commutation relation between the x and y components of angular momentum is given by [Lx,Ly] = ihbar*Lz. This can be derived using commutators and the product rule for differentiation.
rwooduk

Homework Statement

What is the commutation relation between the x and y components of angular momentum L = r X P

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

I do r X p and get the angular momentum componants:[tex]L_{x} = (-i \hbar) (y \frac{d}{dz} - z \frac{d}{dy})[/tex]
[tex]L_{y} = (-i \hbar) (z \frac{d}{dx} - x \frac{d}{dz})[/tex]
[tex]L_{z} = (-i \hbar) (x \frac{d}{dy} - y \frac{d}{dx})[/tex]

then when I attempt to put into the commutation relation [Lx,Ly] it comes out very complicated.

My question:

I found a derivation BUT it has extra terms in it (circled in red)

9EVMLQo.jpg

Why are there 5 terms when there should only be 4 when multiplying out 2 brackets? It's important because those 2 extra terms enable the correct solution. Or have I missed something?

Thankyou for any help in advance.

Source of derivation: http://www2.ph.ed.ac.uk/~ldeldebb/docs/QM/lect8.pdf

Physics news on Phys.org
rwooduk said:

Homework Statement

What is the commutation relation between the x and y components of angular momentum L = r X P

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

I do r X p and get the angular momentum componants:[tex]L_{x} = (-i \hbar) (y \frac{d}{dz} - z \frac{d}{dy})[/tex]
[tex]L_{y} = (-i \hbar) (z \frac{d}{dx} - x \frac{d}{dz})[/tex]
[tex]L_{z} = (-i \hbar) (x \frac{d}{dy} - y \frac{d}{dx})[/tex]

then when I attempt to put into the commutation relation [Lx,Ly] it comes out very complicated.

My question:

I found a derivation BUT it has extra terms in it (circled in red)

9EVMLQo.jpg

Why are there 5 terms when there should only be 4 when multiplying out 2 brackets? It's important because those 2 extra terms enable the correct solution. Or have I missed something?

Thankyou for any help in advance.

Source of derivation: http://www2.ph.ed.ac.uk/~ldeldebb/docs/QM/lect8.pdf

There are four terms when you multiply the brackets. However, one of them can be rewritten with two terms, namely
$$
y\partial_z z \partial_x = y \partial_x + yz \partial_z \partial_x.
$$
This is just the product rule for differentiation.

Orodruin said:
There are four terms when you multiply the brackets. However, one of them can be rewritten with two terms, namely
$$
y\partial_z z \partial_x = y \partial_x + yz \partial_z \partial_x.
$$
This is just the product rule for differentiation.

thats great, many thanks for your help!

Just to complete this thread, this derivation is MUCH easier using commutators! Here's an excellent web page detailing the process:

http://physicspages.com/2011/07/19/angular-momentum-commutators/

Related to Angular momentum commutation relation, extra terms?

1. What is the Angular Momentum Commutation Relation?

The Angular Momentum Commutation Relation is a fundamental relationship in quantum mechanics that describes the behavior of angular momentum operators. It states that the commutation of two angular momentum operators is equal to the cross product of the two operators. This relationship is essential in understanding the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic levels.

2. How does the Angular Momentum Commutation Relation affect the behavior of particles?

The Angular Momentum Commutation Relation affects the behavior of particles by determining the uncertainty in the measurement of angular momentum. This means that the more precisely one measures the angular momentum of a particle in one direction, the less precisely they can measure it in another direction. This is known as the Heisenberg uncertainty principle and is a consequence of the Angular Momentum Commutation Relation.

3. Are there any extra terms in the Angular Momentum Commutation Relation?

Yes, there are extra terms in the Angular Momentum Commutation Relation that account for the spin of particles. These extra terms are necessary to fully describe the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics. They are often referred to as the spin terms or the Pauli matrices.

4. How do the extra terms in the Angular Momentum Commutation Relation affect the behavior of particles?

The extra terms in the Angular Momentum Commutation Relation affect the behavior of particles by accounting for their intrinsic angular momentum, or spin. This allows for a more accurate description of the behavior of particles and is crucial in understanding the properties of atoms and subatomic particles.

5. Can the Angular Momentum Commutation Relation be applied to all particles?

Yes, the Angular Momentum Commutation Relation can be applied to all particles, including bosons and fermions. However, the specific form of the relation may differ slightly depending on the type of particle being studied. For example, for fermions, the extra terms in the relation are represented by the Pauli matrices, while for bosons, they are represented by the identity matrix.