Finding angular speed geometrically

In summary, the angular speed is approximately equal to the linear speed times the cosine of the angle between them.
PhysHobbiest
Homework Statement
As the title says, I was simply looking to geometrically find the angular speed of an object traveling along a line on the x axis with respect to a position at a height h on the z axis.
Relevant Equations
tan(θ) = x/h
So clearly the easiest way to relate the angular speed to the linear speed would be to start from ##\tan(θ) = x/h## and take a time derivative of both sides. However, it also shouldn't be difficult to find the angular speed geometrically. Using the diagram below one can see that:

IMG_20210130_181315.jpg

##sin(dθ) = \frac {{\sqrt {x^2+h^2}}-{\sqrt {(x-vdt)^2+h^2}}} {vdt}##

which is approximately (after a small angle approx and using the definition of the derivative)

##dθ = \frac {d} {dx} \sqrt {x^2+h^2}##

which yields

##dθ = \frac {x} {\sqrt {x^2+h^2}}##

Now this I believe is nonsense, and I'm having difficulty figuring out exactly what went wrong. Did I mess up along the way, or were the approximations I made not good ones? My guess is any approximation that would leave an infinitesimal value on only one side of the equation is a bad one. Just looking for confirmation here.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please check your result with my calculation.
[tex]x=h\tan\theta[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dx}{dt}=h \sec^2\theta \frac{d\theta}{dt}=\frac{h^3}{h^2+x^2}\frac{d\theta}{dt}[/tex]

EDIT calculation error as pointed out in #3. Thanks.

Last edited:
anuttarasammyak said:
Please check your result with my calculation.
[tex]x=h\tan\theta[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dx}{dt}=h \sec^2\theta \frac{d\theta}{dt}=\frac{h^3}{h^2+x^2}\frac{d\theta}{dt}[/tex]
Thanks for the input, I believe you accidentally inverted ##\sec^2\theta## when you expanded it out. The answer should look like

##\frac {dx} {dt} = \frac {h^2 + x^2} {h} \frac {d\theta}{dt}##

I'm aware of what the answer should be, I was simply looking for the flaw in my above reasoning. It was unsettling to me that the simple geometric reasoning I was using was yielding the nonsense that I got.

Likes anuttarasammyak
The first formula in post #1
[tex]\sin(d\theta)=...[/tex]
should be
[tex]\sin\theta =...[/tex] ?
If so it tells just obvious
[tex]sin \theta = \frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+h^2}}[/tex]

Last edited:
Likes PhysHobbiest
oof, thanks for being another set of eyes on that. I don't know how I mistaked θ with dθ there.

Likes anuttarasammyak

1. What is angular speed?

Angular speed is a measure of how fast an object is rotating around a fixed point. It is typically measured in radians per second or degrees per second.

2. How is angular speed different from linear speed?

Angular speed is a measure of how fast an object is rotating, while linear speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a straight line. Angular speed takes into account the distance from the center of rotation, while linear speed does not.

3. How can angular speed be calculated geometrically?

Angular speed can be calculated geometrically by dividing the angle traveled by the time it took to travel that angle. This can be represented as ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω is the angular speed, Δθ is the change in angle, and Δt is the change in time.

4. What is the relationship between angular speed and linear speed?

The relationship between angular speed and linear speed is that the linear speed is equal to the angular speed multiplied by the distance from the center of rotation. This can be represented as v = ωr, where v is the linear speed, ω is the angular speed, and r is the distance from the center of rotation.

5. How is angular speed used in real-world applications?

Angular speed is used in many real-world applications, such as in the design and operation of machines and vehicles that involve rotating parts. It is also used in physics and engineering to understand the motion of objects in circular or rotational motion, such as planets orbiting the sun or a spinning top. In sports, angular speed is used to analyze the movements of athletes in activities such as gymnastics and figure skating.