Angular momentum conservation in collision with a nail

In summary: The position of the pivot point itself is not a relevant matter. In summary, a ball of mass ##m## is attached to a massless string of length ##L## and is released from rest. As it reaches the bottom of the circle, the string wraps around a nail which is a distance ##d## below the center of the circle. The velocity of the ball after the collision is the same as before the collision, and the pivot point of the pendulum before and after the collision is not relevant in the conservation of angular momentum.
Jenny Physics

Homework Statement

A ball of mass ##m## is attached to a massless string of length ##L##. The ball is released from rest as shown in the figure and as it reaches the bottom of the circle, the string wraps around a nail which is a distance ##d## below the center of the circle. What is the velocity of the ball after the collision?
mhr2xd.png

Homework Equations

The velocity before the collision is ##v=\sqrt{2gL}## from energy conservation.
From angular momentum conservation around the nail ##(L-d)mv=(L-d)mv_{f}##.

The Attempt at a Solution

So the velocity after the collision is the same as before the collision. Is this right?

Attachments

• mhr2xd.png
    mhr2xd.png
    2.1 KB · Views: 338
Physics news on Phys.org
Jenny Physics said:
From angular momentum conservation around the nail ##(L-d)mv=(L-d)mv_{f}##.

Think again. This scenario is the same as if the length of the pendulum is shortened instantaneously. Where is the pivot point of the pendulum before it hits the nail, and where is the new pivot point for the pendulum after it hits the nail? Your equation here is indicating that the pivot point remains the same before and after, which is wrong.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Think again. This scenario is the same as if the length of the pendulum is shortened instantaneously. Where is the pivot point of the pendulum before it hits the nail, and where is the new pivot point for the pendulum after it hits the nail? Your equation here is indicating that the pivot point remains the same before and after, which is wrong.

Zz.
You are saying that it should be ##Lmv=(L-d)mv_{f}##? But then I would not be computing the angular momentum about the same pivot and how can I talk about angular momentum conservation then?

Jenny Physics said:
You are saying that it should be ##Lmv=(L-d)mv_{f}##? But then I would not be computing the angular momentum about the same pivot and how can I talk about angular momentum conservation then?

Where is the requirement that the pivot point must be at the same location in the conservation of angular momentum in this case?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Where is the requirement that the pivot point must be at the same location in the conservation of angular momentum in this case?

Zz.
There is none but I was under the (probably false) impression that when we talk about conservation of angular momentum we compute the momentum before and after relative to the same point (like in linear momentum conservation collision problems). Perhaps energy conservation is a better mental model for me. Also I thought that I could invoke conservation of horizontal linear momentum at the bottom of the circle in which case the velocities would be the same before and after.

Last edited:
Jenny Physics said:
There is none but I was under the (probably false) impression that when we talk about conservation of angular momentum we compute the momentum before and after relative to the same point (like in linear momentum conservation collision problems). Perhaps energy conservation is a better mental model for me.

But as I've stated earlier, this is no different than shortening the length of the pendulum instantaneously when it hits the nail! So what is "oscillating" has one length before, and one length after. That is all that matters.

Your equation makes no sense, because the "before" has the same length of pendulum as the "after". You are making the pendulum having identical lengths before and after. This is not the scenario of your problem, i.e. your equation doesn't match what is going on.

Zz.

Jenny Physics said:
There is none but I was under the (probably false) impression that when we talk about conservation of angular momentum we compute the momentum before and after relative to the same point (like in linear momentum conservation collision problems). Perhaps energy conservation is a better mental model for me.
ZapperZ said:
But as I've stated earlier, this is no different than shortening the length of the pendulum instantaneously when it hits the nail! So what is "oscillating" has one length before, and one length after. That is all that matters.

Your equation makes no sense, because the "before" has the same length of pendulum as the "after". You are making the pendulum having identical lengths before and after. This is not the scenario of your problem, i.e. your equation doesn't match what is going on.

Zz.
I have conservation of horizontal momentum at the bottom of the circle? In which case the velocity after would be the same as before?

Jenny Physics said:
I have conservation of horizontal momentum at the bottom of the circle? In which case the velocity after would be the same as before?

Why, especially when the length of the pendulum is different after collision with the nail?

Zz.

Jenny Physics said:
There is none but I was under the (probably false) impression that when we talk about conservation of angular momentum we compute the momentum before and after relative to the same point (like in linear momentum conservation collision problems). Perhaps energy conservation is a better mental model for me. Also I thought that I could invoke conservation of horizontal linear momentum at the bottom of the circle in which case the velocities would be the same before and after.
Possibly you are overthinking this.

The elapsed time between "just before the collision" to "just after the collision" can be as small as we please. By inspection there are no infinite forces and no infinite distances. So there can be no significant changes to momentum, energy or angular momentum about any axis.

ZapperZ said:
Your equation here is indicating that the pivot point remains the same before and after, which is wrong.
Don't confuse the actual pivot point of some motion with an axis chosen for the purpose of calculating an angular momentum. As @jbriggs444 points out, there is no reason for the angular momentum, about any chosen axis, to have changed.

1. How is angular momentum conserved in a collision with a nail?

Angular momentum is conserved in a collision with a nail because the total angular momentum of the system before and after the collision remains constant. This means that the sum of the initial angular momentum of the objects involved in the collision must be equal to the sum of the final angular momentum after the collision.

2. What factors affect the conservation of angular momentum in a collision with a nail?

The conservation of angular momentum in a collision with a nail is affected by the moment of inertia of the objects involved in the collision, the angular velocity of the objects, and the distance between the objects.

3. Can angular momentum be lost in a collision with a nail?

No, angular momentum cannot be lost in a collision with a nail. It can only be transferred between objects involved in the collision. This is because angular momentum is a conserved quantity in a closed system.

4. How does the angle of collision affect the conservation of angular momentum in a collision with a nail?

The angle of collision can affect the conservation of angular momentum in a collision with a nail by changing the direction and magnitude of the angular momentum of the objects involved. This can result in a change in the final angular momentum after the collision.

5. How is the conservation of angular momentum related to the conservation of energy in a collision with a nail?

The conservation of angular momentum is related to the conservation of energy in a collision with a nail because both are fundamental principles of physics that describe the behavior of a system. In a collision, the total energy and total angular momentum of the system are conserved, and changes in one quantity can affect the other.