Angular Momentum of a Baseball/MasteringPhysics Tech Support

In summary, the problem involves finding the angular momentum of a spinning baseball with a mass of 150 g and diameter of 7.3 cm, treated as a uniform solid sphere. Using the equations for moment of inertia and angular momentum, the calculated value was 0.0735402 J*s, however this was incorrect due to an oversight in using the diameter instead of the radius. After correcting this error, the correct value is 0.00031974 J*s.
Keith Moffet

Homework Statement

A 7.3-cm-diameter baseball has mass of 150 g and is spinning at 230 rad/s .
Treating the baseball as a uniform solid sphere, what is its angular momentum?

I'm about to pull my hair out because I feel like I understand everything about this problem perfectly and yet I'm still getting back sass from MasteringPhysics.
But, hey I'm not the smartest guy out there so I've probably actually got it wrong.

Homework Equations

Moment of inertia of a uniform solid sphere:
2/5*MR^2

L=Iω

The Attempt at a Solution

.4*.15*.073^2=.00031974J=I
Iω=.00031974*230=.0735402J*s=L

This is apparently wrong; yes I've attempted giving them the 2 significant figures they asked for.

Including unit conversion, this seems like nothing more than physics flavored 9th grade algebra, which is exactly why I'm worried enough about it to come seek help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you use the diameter where you meant to use the radius?

Thanks for replying! I'm an idiot.

Keith Moffet said:
I'm an idiot.
No, just an oversight. Easy to do.

1. What is Angular Momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of an object. It is defined as the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

2. How is Angular Momentum related to a Baseball?

In the case of a baseball, the angular momentum is determined by the mass and velocity of the ball as it rotates around its axis of rotation. This is important in understanding the ball's trajectory and movement.

3. How does MasteringPhysics Tech Support help with Angular Momentum problems?

MasteringPhysics Tech Support offers step-by-step guidance and solutions to problems related to angular momentum of a baseball. They also provide interactive simulations and visual aids to help students understand the concept better.

4. What are some common misconceptions about Angular Momentum?

One common misconception is that angular momentum is the same as linear momentum. However, they are two different concepts that measure different types of motion. Another misconception is that angular momentum is always conserved, but this is only true in isolated systems.

5. How can understanding Angular Momentum of a Baseball be applied in real life?

Understanding angular momentum of a baseball can be applied in various fields such as sports, engineering, and physics. It can help in designing better equipment for sports like baseball, and in predicting the trajectory of objects in motion. It is also useful in understanding the stability and balance of rotating objects in machinery.