Angular Momentum of a Comet Around the Sun

In summary, the question involves calculating the speed of a comet at a certain distance from the Sun based on its initial speed and position, as well as the angle between its position and velocity vectors. Using the equation r1Xmv1=r2v2sin(theta), we can solve for v2 by substituting the given values and solving algebraically.
Geoanth3

Homework Statement

(a) A certain comet of mass m at its closest approach to the Sun is observed to be at a distance r1 from the center of the Sun, moving with speed v1. At a later time the comet is observed to be at a distance r2 from the center of the Sun, and the angle between rvec2 and the velocity vector is measured to be θ. What is v2? Do not worry about italics. For example, if a variable g is used in the question, type g. Use theta for θ, r_1 for r1, r_2 for r2, v_1 for v1 and m as needed.

I'm not sure how to upload diagrams yet, but if I figure it out I will post the diagram itself here. Until then I'll describe it as best I can:
There is a picture of the sun in an ellipse which is very wide and very short, this is the comet's path. The radius from the sun (which is positioned about 1/4 of the way in from the leftmost side) to the leftmost side of the ellipse is r_1. Going up from this point on the ellipse is an arrow labeled v_1 in the positive y direction. r_2 goes from the sun to another point on the ellipse in a NE type direction. There is an arrow coming off of this point labeled v_2 going in the positive x direction. The angle created by r_2 and v_2 is theta (it would be the acute angle as the 2 lines cross).

Homework Equations

L_1=L_2
I_1w=I_2w or r_1Xmv_1=r_2Xmv_2

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured I would set the 2 angular momentums equal after cross multiplying, then solve for v_2 algebraically, but I get the feeling that theta is important, and I'm not sure how it factors in. If someone could help me figure this out it would be so helpful!

Attachments

• physics diagram.jpg
    physics diagram.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 822
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Geoanth3,

Welcome to Physics Forums!

Geoanth3 said:
I figured I would set the 2 angular momentums equal after cross multiplying, then solve for v_2 algebraically, but I get the feeling that theta is important, and I'm not sure how it factors in. If someone could help me figure this out it would be so helpful!

Your intuition is correct. :approve: Theta turns out to be important, particularly in your

[tex] \vec{r_1} \times m \vec{v_1} = \vec{r_2} \times m \vec{v_2} [/tex]

equation. It's in the definition of the cross product. Remember the magnitude of r x mv is only equal to rmv if r and v are perfectly perpendicular. Otherwise the answer is also a function of θ. :wink:

So would it be more like r1Xmv1=r2v2sin(theta)? Then solve for v2?

Geoanth3 said:
So would it be more like r1Xmv1=r2v2sin(theta)? Then solve for v2?

Sounds about right to me. :approve:

(Don't forget the 'm' though on the right side of the equation [or instead, remove the m on the left side of the equation]).

Yay, it worked! Thanks for the help :)

Related to Angular Momentum of a Comet Around the Sun

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of an object around a fixed point or axis. It is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by its velocity and the distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How is the angular momentum of a comet around the sun calculated?

The angular momentum of a comet around the sun is calculated by multiplying the comet's mass by its velocity and the distance from the sun. This calculation takes into account the gravitational pull of the sun on the comet as it orbits.

3. Why is angular momentum important in understanding comets?

Angular momentum is important in understanding comets because it helps us understand how they move and interact with other objects in the solar system. It also provides insight into the formation and evolution of comets.

4. How does the angular momentum of a comet change as it orbits the sun?

The angular momentum of a comet remains constant as it orbits the sun, as long as there are no external forces acting on it. This is known as the conservation of angular momentum.

5. Can the angular momentum of a comet change over time?

Yes, the angular momentum of a comet can change over time due to external forces such as gravitational interactions with other objects in the solar system. This can lead to changes in the comet's orbit and trajectory.