Comet Speed Around Sun: Solving with Energy & Momentum

• Thread starter henry3369
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Comet Sun
In summary, the question discusses the speed of a comet at two different distances from the center of the sun and how to calculate it using conservation of energy and conservation of angular momentum. The calculated speeds using the two methods are different due to the assumption of a perpendicular velocity vector in the calculation of angular momentum. The correct answer can only be obtained using conservation of energy.
henry3369

Homework Statement

Comets travel around the sun in elliptical orbits with large eccentricities. If a comet has speed 1.5×104m/s when at a distance of 2.1×1011m from the center of the sun, what is its speed when at a distance of 5.1×1010

Homework Equations

Conservation of energy

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to solve this using conservation of energy, but I was wondering why I don't the get same answer from conservation of angular momentum. There is no external force because the only force is the force of gravity, which is part of the system.

Here is the attempt with conservation of angular momentum:
m(r x v) = m(rfinal x vfinal)
(r x v) = (rfinal x vfinal)
The velocities are tangential so sin(90) = 1
(r)(v) = (rfinal) (vfinal)
(1.5x104)(2.1x1011) = (5.1x1010)(vfinal)
(vfinal) = 6.18 x 104 m/s

The correct answer, obtained using conservation of energy is (vfinal) = 6.5 x 104 m/s

The answers should be the same though. There is no external force or non-conservative forces.

Physics news on Phys.org
Even earlier in my assignment, it mentions that the angular momentum is conserved about the center if the distance between them is changed.

You've assumed that the velocity vectors for the two given distances are perpendicular to the radius vectors, i.e., you've assumed perihelion and aphelion for the given points. But this is NOT specified in the problem statement! You cannot take the angle in the cross product to be 90°.

Kepler's 2nd law (constant rate of area being swept out, or 1/2 ωr2), is equivalent to the conservation of momentum, which is mωr2. The key is a central force but not a velocity perpendicular to that force.

ω is continually changing and = dθ/dt where dθ is the differential angle formed by the comet's radius vector at two differentially short times dt apart. In other words, at any instant, ω = v/r.

So, differentially, v IS perpendicular to r. Your answer of 6.18e4 is correct. Your answer based on energy conservation had to use the mass of the sun which is not necessarily the mass of the sun as the problem implies!

EDIT: after looking at this some more I've concluded that there is no way to solve this problem other than by energy conservation. The reason is that
v2 = (r2)(dθ/dt)2 + (dr/dt)2 ... (1)
& I left out the second term in computing v2. Unfortunately I see no way to determine the second term above with the given data. The solution would not be unique.

Unless points 1 and 2 correspond to the following points on the elliptical orbit:
(a) aphelion and one of the two points where the semi-minor axis intersects the orbit;
(b) perihelion & one of the above-mentioned two points; or
(c) aphelion and perihelion.
In all three cases the second term in my equation (1) vanishes and your answer would be correct.

Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:
v is perpendicular to r only for circular orbits or at aphelion and perihelion for elliptical orbits. This is why angular momentum involves a cross product rather than it being a simple scalar product of |r| and |v|.

1. How is the speed of a comet around the sun determined?

The speed of a comet around the sun is determined by its energy and momentum. Energy is the ability to do work, while momentum is the product of an object's mass and velocity. By calculating the energy and momentum of a comet at different points in its orbit, we can determine its speed around the sun.

2. What factors affect the speed of a comet around the sun?

The speed of a comet around the sun is affected by the mass and distance of the comet from the sun. The closer the comet is to the sun, the stronger the gravitational force acting on it, leading to a higher speed. The mass of the comet also plays a role, as a more massive comet will have a greater inertia, making it harder to change its speed.

3. How does the conservation of energy and momentum apply to a comet's orbit around the sun?

The conservation of energy and momentum applies to a comet's orbit around the sun because the total energy and momentum of the comet remain constant throughout its orbit. As the comet moves closer to the sun, it gains kinetic energy and loses potential energy, while its momentum remains the same. This is known as the law of conservation of energy and momentum.

4. Can the speed of a comet change during its orbit around the sun?

Yes, the speed of a comet can change during its orbit around the sun. As the comet moves closer to the sun, its speed increases due to the stronger gravitational force. However, as it moves away from the sun, its speed decreases as the gravitational force weakens. This change in speed can also be affected by other factors such as interactions with other objects in the solar system.

5. How is the speed of a comet around the sun related to its orbital period?

The speed of a comet around the sun is related to its orbital period through Kepler's third law of planetary motion. This law states that the square of the orbital period is proportional to the cube of the semi-major axis of the orbit. In simpler terms, the farther a comet is from the sun, the longer its orbital period and the slower its speed. Conversely, the closer a comet is to the sun, the shorter its orbital period and the faster its speed.