Angular momentum of the particle about point P as a function of time

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a particle moving in a circle at constant speed. The question is about determining the angular momentum of the particle about a specific point P. The conversation covers various equations and mistakes made in solving the problem, but ultimately determines that the displacement vector from P to the particle is necessary to accurately calculate the angular momentum. The final solution is found to be ##\vec{L} = mvR(1+\cos{\frac{Vt}{R}})\vec{k}##.
hhjjy
Homework Statement
A particle of mass m moves in a circle of radius R at a constant speed v, as shown in Figure P11.4. If the motion begins at point Q at time t = 0, determine the angular momentum of the particle about point P as a function of time.
Relevant Equations
$$ L = \vec{r} \times \vec{p} $$
I don't understand why my solution is wrong.
Here is my solution.

$$ r_{\theta} = R\cos{\theta} \vec{i} + R\sin{\theta} \vec{j} $$
$$ v_{\theta} = v\cos(\theta + \frac{\pi}{2}) \vec{i} + v\sin(\theta + \frac{\pi}{2}) \vec{j} $$
$$ p_{\theta} = mvR(-\sin{\theta}) \vec{i} +mvR(\cos{\theta} \vec{j}) $$
$$ L_{\theta} = \vec{r} \times \vec{p}=mvR (-{\sin{\theta}}^2 + {\cos{\theta}}^2 )\vec{k} $$
$$ L_{\theta} = mvR(\cos{2\theta}) $$

Can someone explain for me?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
And where is this point ##P## ?

Where does time figure in this?

Likes hhjjy
It looks to me as if you are computing the cross product ##\vec{r} \times \vec{p}## as ##r_x \cdot v_y + r_y \cdot v_x##. Should there be a minus sign in there? That would set things up for a different trig identity.

hhjjy said:
$$ L_{\theta} = \vec{r} \times \vec{p}=mvR (-{\sin{\theta}}^2 + {\cos{\theta}}^2 )\vec{k} $$
It would be good to write ##\sin \theta^2## as ##\sin^2 \theta## to avoid implying that ##\theta## is squared.

Then too, a moment's thought would discard the algebraic approach in favor of a simple geometric insight.

Likes hhjjy and Charles Link
hhjjy said:
Homework Statement:: A particle of mass m moves in a circle of radius R at a constant speed v, as shown in Figure P11.4. If the motion begins at point Q at time t = 0, determine the angular momentum of the particle about point P as a function of time.
Relevant Equations:: $$ L = \vec{r} \times \vec{p} $$
There should be an arrow over the ##L##.
hhjjy said:
I don't understand why my solution is wrong.
Here is my solution.

$$ r_{\theta} = R\cos{\theta} \vec{i} + R\sin{\theta} \vec{j} $$
$$ v_{\theta} = v\cos(\theta + \frac{\pi}{2}) \vec{i} + v\sin(\theta + \frac{\pi}{2}) \vec{j} $$
There should be arrows over ##r## and ##v## on the lefthand sides.

hhjjy said:
Where did the factor of ##R## come from?

hhjjy said:
$$ L_{\theta} = mvR(\cos{2\theta}) $$
What happened to the ##\vec k##?

Likes hhjjy
There is a missing minus sign on the ## -\sin^2{\theta} ## in the cross product, so that it will be ## +\sin^2{\theta} ##.

the figure is this one.
索引.png

PeroK said:
Where does time figure in this?

Likes BvU
The diagram really helps. It shows that point ##P## is not at the center of the circle. The vector ##\vec r## in the equation ##\vec L = \vec r \times \vec p## is the position of the the particle relative to point ##P##. So, ##\vec r \neq R\cos(\theta) \hat i + R\sin(\theta) \hat j##

Likes hhjjy, Charles Link and PhDeezNutz
I
jbriggs444 said:
It looks to me as if you are computing the cross product ##\vec{r} \times \vec{p}## as ##r_x \cdot v_y + r_y \cdot v_x##. Should there be a minus sign in there? That would set things up for a different trig identity.It would be good to write ##\sin \theta^2## as ##\sin^2 \theta## to avoid implying that ##\theta## is squared.

Then too, a moment's thought would discard the algebraic approach in favor of a simple geometric insight
How to use geometric sight to solve this problem? I have no idea when I first thought, so I use the algebraic approach to solve, but the result looks weird.

Charles Link said:
There is a missing minus sign on the ## -\sin^2{\theta} ## in the cross product, so that it will be ## +\sin^2{\theta} ##.
According to Charles, I made some mistakes. If I correct the calculation mistake, It looks weird.

## \vec{L}(\theta) = mvR(\sin^2(\theta) + \cos^2(\theta)) --(1) ##

We can use this function ## \sin^2{\theta} + \cos^2 {\theta} = 1 --(2)##

to substitute.

The result is ## L(\theta) = mvR ## which is totally irrelevant to the ## \theta ##

My thought is that if the result is related to ## \theta## I can import ## \theta = \omega* times ##.

hhjjy said:
According to Charles, I made some mistakes.
You still seem to be making the mistake @TSny pointed out in post #8. What is the displacement vector from P to the mass as a function of time?

Likes hhjjy
hhjjy said:
How to use geometric sight to solve this problem?
I'd stay with the original description -- a particle moving in a circle at constant speed. About the origin, it has constant angular momentum. How can we determine its angular momentum about a parallel axis somewhere else?

Likes hhjjy
Knowing where ##P## is located is really such a relief ! Now everything makes some sense!
And boy, are you getting some heavyweight help with this one :partytime:

##\ ##

Likes hhjjy
Oh , I got it . I miss a important idea.The point P is at (-R,0), so ## \vec{r} = (R + R\cos{\theta}) \vec{i} + R \sin{\theta} \vec{j} ## . That makes sense if we take it back to the equation.
## \vec{L} = mvR(\sin^2{\theta}+\cos^2{\theta} + \cos{\theta}) = mvR(1 + \cos{\theta})\vec{k} ##
By using this ## \theta = \omega t = vRt ##,the result is ## \vec{L} = mvR(1+\cos{\frac{Vt}{R}})\vec{k} ##.

Last edited:
Likes vela
I appreciate your help. Thank you everyone .
BvU said:
Knowing where ##P## is located is really such a relief ! Now everything makes some sense!
And boy, are you getting some heavyweight help with this one :partytime:

##\ #
jbriggs444 said:
I'd stay with the original description -- a particle moving in a circle at constant speed. About the origin, it has constant angular momentum. How can we determine its angular momentum about a parallel axis somewhere else?

Likes BvU

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of a particle or object around a fixed point. It is a vector quantity that takes into account the mass, velocity, and distance of the particle from the fixed point.

2. How is angular momentum calculated?

Angular momentum is calculated by multiplying the mass of the particle by its velocity and its distance from the fixed point. This can be represented by the formula L = mvr, where L is angular momentum, m is mass, v is velocity, and r is the distance from the fixed point.

3. What is the relationship between angular momentum and time?

The angular momentum of a particle around a fixed point is constant, meaning it does not change with time, as long as there are no external forces acting on the particle. This is known as the conservation of angular momentum.

4. How does angular momentum change if the particle's velocity or distance from the fixed point changes?

If the particle's velocity or distance from the fixed point changes, the angular momentum will also change. An increase in velocity or distance will result in an increase in angular momentum, while a decrease in velocity or distance will result in a decrease in angular momentum.

5. Can angular momentum be negative?

Yes, angular momentum can be negative. This occurs when the direction of the angular momentum vector is opposite to the direction of rotation. It can also be negative if the particle is rotating in the opposite direction to the chosen coordinate system.