Angular Momentum Problem: Determining Angular Acceleration

In summary: The first equation accounts for both. I suppose you could make down positive and up negative, but I am more used to making down...negative and up positive.
JoeyBob
Homework Statement
See attached
Relevant Equations
F=mg, L=I*rotation rate
So I first tried to find L using torque,

Torque=d/dt*L, and took the integral of this.

Ended up with 23.28484t

Now I square the equation L=rotation rate*I to get L^2=rotation acceleration *I^2

Angular acceleration=L^2/I^2

I feel like I am doing something wrong though, this doesn't give the right answer.

The answer is suppose to be 29.13

Attachments

• Question.PNG
    Question.PNG
    10 KB · Views: 111
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to draw two free body diagrams, one for the cylinder and one for the hanging mass and write Newton's second law for each. Do that and show us your work.

kuruman said:
You need to draw two free body diagrams, one for the cylinder and one for the hanging mass and write Newton's second law for each. Do that and show us your work.

So a=g and a=v^2/r

Then v=1.498 and p=14.8302

L=r x p = 0.24*14.83=3.56

angular acceleration= L^2/I^2 = 3.56^2/0.229^2=242

Whats wrong now? Answer should be 29.13.

kuruman said:

Wait I forgot about tension. So

a=T/m-g and a=v^2/r

But this still doesn't help because I know neither the tension nor the velocity, nor the acceleration.

First of all a = v2/r is centripetal acceleration that is irrelevant here.

Secondly, I asked you to draw two free body diagrams. Writing Newton's second law on the basis of these will give you two equations and you have two unknowns, the acceleration and the tension.

JoeyBob said:
angular acceleration= L^2/I^2 = 3.56^2/0.229^2=242

Whats wrong now? Answer should be 29.13.
What's wrong now and always is your expression that "angular acceleration= L^2/I^2". I don't know where you got this, but it is not correct. Stop using it.

Likes Delta2
kuruman said:
First of all a = v2/r is centripetal acceleration that is irrelevant here.

Secondly, I asked you to draw two free body diagrams. Writing Newton's second law on the basis of these will give you two equations and you have two unknowns, the acceleration and the tension.What's wrong now and always is your expression that "angular acceleration= L^2/I^2". I don't know where you got this, but it is not correct. Stop using it.

So I need to find 3 separate equations that contain the unknowns to find the answer?

You need two equations and you have two unknowns, the tension and the acceleration. You can only draw two free body diagrams, one for the disk and one for the hanging mass.

kuruman said:
You need two equations and you have two unknowns, the tension and the acceleration. You can only draw two free body diagrams, one for the disk and one for the hanging mass.

I don't know the acceleration of the mass. I don't know the Tension. I don't know the angular acceleration of the thing that spins.

Isnt that 3? I am pretty sure angular acceleration is different from acceleration.

Yes, angular acceleration is a different beast from linear acceleration, but they are related. That relation is a third equation. The linear acceleration all points on the string is the same and matches the linear or tangential acceleration of all points on the rim of the disk if there is no slipping. The tangential acceleration is related to the angular acceleration. Read about it here. That gives you the third equation.

kuruman said:
Yes, angular acceleration is a different beast from linear acceleration, but they are related. That relation is a third equation. The linear acceleration all points on the string is the same and matches the linear or tangential acceleration of all points on the rim of the disk if there is no slipping. The tangential acceleration is related to the angular acceleration. Read about it here. That gives you the third equation.

So angular accel=R*normal acceleration

Normal acceleration=T/m-g

and Torque=r*T=angular acceleration*moment of Inertia

Is this correct?

JoeyBob said:
Normal acceleration=T/m-g
This is correct if the mass is accelerating up. Here it is accelerating down.

kuruman said:
This is correct if the mass is accelerating up. Here it is accelerating down.
It'll be negative if it accelerates down. If up is positive and down is negative I don't see the issue.

So which is correct?
a = T/m - g
or
-a = T/m - g

The issue is that the correct sign affects the answer when you combine it with the other equation.

kuruman said:
So which is correct?
a = T/m - g
or
-a = T/m - g

The issue is that the correct sign affects the answer when you combine it with the other equation.

Ill explain it this way.

If T/m > g, then acceleration is in the positive k hat direction.

If T/m<g, then acceleration is in the negative k hat direction.

The first equation accounts for both. I suppose you could make down positive and up negative, but I am more used to making down negative.

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion. It is calculated by multiplying the object's moment of inertia by its angular velocity. It is a conserved quantity, meaning it remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque.

2. How is angular acceleration determined?

Angular acceleration is determined by dividing the net torque acting on an object by its moment of inertia. The resulting value is the object's angular acceleration, measured in radians per second squared.

3. What is the relationship between angular acceleration and angular momentum?

Angular acceleration and angular momentum are directly proportional to each other. This means that as one increases, the other also increases. This relationship is described by the formula L = Iω, where L is angular momentum, I is moment of inertia, and ω is angular velocity.

4. How does the angular momentum problem relate to rotational motion?

The angular momentum problem is a common problem in rotational motion that involves determining the angular acceleration of an object. It is often used to analyze the motion of objects such as spinning tops, rotating wheels, or planets in orbit.

5. What factors affect the angular acceleration of an object?

The angular acceleration of an object is affected by its moment of inertia, the net torque acting on it, and its initial angular velocity. The distribution of mass within the object also plays a role in determining its angular acceleration.