Angular speed; horizontal circle

In summary: And so long as you are working to four decimal places or more, this method will be very accurate. Rounding to 4 decimal places will mean that your final answer will be accurate to 4 decimal places, but remember, that's only 0.00005% inaccuracy. You will get plenty of marks for that! 4 d.p. = 1 part in 10000. 3 d.p. = 1 part in 1000. And since you are working with data that is only accurate to 3 or 4 significant figures anyway, you will be able to see that level of accuracy in the data itself.
deezy

Homework Statement

A student ties a 400g rock to a 1.0m long string and swings it around her head in a horizontal circle. What angular speed does the string tilt down at a 10° angle?

m = 400g = .4kg
r = 1m

Homework Equations

[tex]F = \frac {mv^2}{r}[/tex]

[tex]\omega = \frac {|v|sin \theta}{|r|}[/tex]

[PLAIN]http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/7350/circ1.png

[PLAIN]http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/513/circ2.png

The Attempt at a Solution

First I solved for the tensions:

[tex]T_y = 9.8 * .4 = 3.92N[/tex]
[tex]tan 10 = \frac {3.92}{T_x}[/tex]
[tex]T_x = 22.23N[/tex]

Then for velocity:
[tex]22.23 = .4 * \frac {v^2}{1}[/tex]
[tex]v = 7.45 m/s[/tex]

Then for angular speed:
[tex]\omega = \frac {7.45 sin 10} {1}[/tex]
[tex]\omega = 1.29°/sec[/tex]

I wasn't sure if I set this up correctly or used the right formulas. I also wasn't sure if my answer was in the correct units. I also wanted to know if the picture for this motion is like the 1st picture or the 2nd picture? I used the first picture to solve this problem.
[tex][/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
In the first picture, the string is 10 degrees below horizontal, which is correct.

In the second picture, the string is 10 degrees above horizontal.

I didn't look too closely at it, but it seems like your overall method is right. The y-component of the tension has to support the weight, and the x-component of the tension has to provide the centripetal force that keeps the thing moving in a circle.

Your answer of degrees per second is in the wrong units. If you look carefully at your actual equation, you'll see that the result is in (m/s)/m = 1/s. However, we usually express this as radians/second in order to make it clear that it is an angular velocity. In the radian system, angles are dimensionless quantities (being expressed as the ratio of two lengths). Hence radians are a dimensionless unit, which is why they don't appear in the units unless if you explicitly put them in.

If you want the answer in degrees per second, you'll have to convert from radians to degrees.

In general this is something you have to be careful with. The formula [itex] v = \omega r [/itex] implicitly assumes angles measured in radians.

Another thing that I just noticed is that in the equation F = mv^2 / r, r is the radius of the circular path being swept out. This is NOT the same thing as the length of the string here. So that might be another source of error. Check it out.

Be careful with the radius of the circle!

attachment.php?attachmentid=39546&stc=1&d=1317600349.gif

EDIT: Hmph. cepheid got in ahead of me!

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 1,771
Last edited:
Ah yes I forgot the radius was different from the length of the rope.

[tex]r = 1 * cos 10 = .98m[/tex]
[tex]22.23 = .4 * \frac {v^2}{.98}[/tex]
[tex]v = 7.38 m/s[/tex]

[tex]\omega = \frac {7.38 sin 10} {.98}[/tex]
[tex]\omega = 1.32/sec[/tex]

So at this point, is the answer in radians/sec? If not, at which point do I convert it?

[tex][/tex]

Last edited:
deezy said:
Ah yes I forgot the radius was different from the length of the rope.

[tex]r = 1 * cos 10 = .98m[/tex]
[tex]22.23 = .4 * \frac {v^2}{.98}[/tex]
[tex]v = 7.53 m/s[/tex]

Okay so far
[tex]\omega = \frac {7.45 sin 10} {.98}[/tex]
[tex]\omega = 1.32/sec[/tex]
Can you explain the above? Where did 7.45 come from, and why the sine function?

If you have the speed of the rock and the radius of the circle it travels in you can work out the circumference and time it takes to make one circuit of the path (the period). One circuit of the path also covers [itex]2\pi[/itex] radians...

Oops, v is supposed to be 7.38 m/s. I used the sine function because that was part of the angular velocity formula. But keep in mind that I wasn't sure if I was using the right formulas.

Last edited:
deezy said:
Oops, v is supposed to be 7.38 m/s. I used the sine function because that was part of the angular velocity formula. But keep in mind that I wasn't sure if I was using the right formulas.

I can't place 7.38 m/s from your calculations either :frown:

The quickest road from velocity to angular velocity is via the relationship [itex] v = \omega r[/itex].

If I may make the suggestion, you might want to keep a few more decimal places in your intermediate results so that rounding error doesn't slowly erode accuracy over multiple calculation steps. By all means round final results to the correct number of significant figures, but hold on to accuracy till the end!

So I use
[tex]F = \frac {mv^2}{r}[/tex] to solve for velocity, and use [itex] v = \omega r[/itex] to solve for the angular velocity?

deezy said:
So I use
[tex]F = \frac {mv^2}{r}[/tex] to solve for velocity, and use [itex] v = \omega r[/itex] to solve for the angular velocity?

Yup. Quick and easy!

1. What is angular speed?

Angular speed, also known as angular velocity, is a measure of how fast an object is rotating around a fixed point or axis. It is typically measured in radians per second (rad/s) or revolutions per minute (rpm).

2. How is angular speed different from linear speed?

Angular speed is a measurement of how fast an object is rotating, while linear speed is a measurement of how fast an object is moving in a straight line. Angular speed is dependent on the object's distance from the axis of rotation, while linear speed is not.

3. How do you calculate angular speed?

Angular speed can be calculated by dividing the angular displacement (change in angle) by the time it takes to make the rotation. It can also be calculated by dividing the linear speed by the radius of the circular path.

4. What is the relationship between angular speed and frequency?

Angular speed and frequency are directly proportional to each other. As angular speed increases, so does frequency, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation ω = 2πf, where ω is angular speed in radians per second and f is frequency in hertz (Hz).

5. Can angular speed be negative?

Yes, angular speed can be negative. A negative angular speed indicates that the object is rotating in the opposite direction of a positive angular speed. This can be seen in objects that rotate counterclockwise, where the angular speed would be negative compared to objects rotating clockwise with a positive angular speed.