Angular Speed of a drive train

In summary, the figure shows a bicycle with wheels 67.3 cm in diameter and pedal cranks 17.5 cm long. The cyclist pedals at a steady rate of 76.5 rev/min, with a chain engaging a front sprocket 15.2 cm in diameter and a rear sprocket 7.25 cm in diameter. The velocity of the rear sprocket is calculated to be 0.291 m/s using the given radius and angular speed, but the correct answer uses the tangential velocity and a different angular speed of 8.64 rad/s.
klopez
1. The figure below shows the drive train of a bicycle that has wheels 67.3 cm in diameter and pedal cranks 17.5 cm long. The cyclist pedals at a steady angular rate of 76.5 rev/min. The chain engages with a front sprocket 15.2 cm in diameter and a rear sprocket 7.25 cm in diameter.

2. v = r*w

3. First I tried to find the velocity of the rear sprocket.

radius of rear sprocket is 0.0363 m
angular speed of pedaling is 8.01 rad/s

v = 0.0363 * 8.01
v = .291 m/s

radius of wheels is 0.337 m

So I used the velocity of the rear sprocket to calculate the angular speed of the wheel

w = .291/.337
w = .864 rad/s

I am using WebAssign, and when I entered this answer, it said my answer differed by orders of magnitude. Any help would be greatly appreciated, since I only have one more shot at getting the answer right. Thanks

Kevin

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you post the figure?

p10-14.gif

there u go

klopez said:
3. First I tried to find the velocity of the rear sprocket.

radius of rear sprocket is 0.0363 m
angular speed of pedaling is 8.01 rad/s

v = 0.0363 * 8.01
v = .291 m/s

But you used the angular speed of the front sprocket, not the rear sprocket.

Hint: Since they are connected by a chain, the tangential velocity (v, not angular speed) of each sprocket is the same.

1. What is the angular speed of a drive train?

The angular speed of a drive train is the rate at which the drive train rotates around its axis, measured in radians per second.

2. How is the angular speed of a drive train calculated?

The angular speed of a drive train can be calculated by dividing the angular displacement (change in angle) by the time it takes for the drive train to make that displacement.

3. What factors affect the angular speed of a drive train?

The angular speed of a drive train can be affected by the size and shape of the drive train's components, the amount of torque applied to the drive train, and the friction between the components.

4. How does angular speed differ from linear speed?

Angular speed measures the rotation of an object around its axis, while linear speed measures the distance an object travels in a certain amount of time.

5. Why is the angular speed of a drive train important?

The angular speed of a drive train is important because it helps determine the performance and efficiency of the drive train in various applications, such as in vehicles, machines, and other mechanical systems.